Author Topic: Funny things that we THINK we hear...  (Read 46676 times)

psmix

Re: Funny things that we THINK we hear...
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2011, 12:54:17 pm »
I was putting groceries away in the garage refrigerator. The door to the house was open. Someone asked me a question and I thought it was someone in the house. Without turning around, I answered and the conversation continued like that for a few minutes. When I finally took my head out of the fridge and turned around, my next door neighbor was standing in my garage with her 3 dogs and an odd look on her face. I hadn't even turned around to acknowledge her!

I'm an easy target for a mugger, I guess! ;)
Right AN diagnosed Sept. 2010 - 4 cm x 3 cm x 3 cm
Debulked via translab Sept. 2010
Removed at House Feb. 2011
CSF leak with blind sac closure and lumbar drain March 2011
Unresponsive facial nerve, platinum weight
SSD

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:07 pm »
I can't believe I haven't posted my poem on here, before this.  It was on the Forum at one time, probably deleted by now or buried deep in the archives.  This came about a couple of years ago when the phantom sounds were driving me nuts.  I would wake up, on occasion, to the sound of a doorbell.  Nobody there.  Now, my aunt says she has heard that too, and she has no AN, so maybe it's just a random brain thing.  I heard a radio softly playing somewhere, like it was on a talk radio station.  The bathroom fans played me harp music.  Everything that people have said on this thread, I have had experience with too.  So, one morning, after the doorbell incident, I said to myself, I hear doorbells and there's no one there.  Saying that brought to mind this old song.  You can go to this link and hear the music and have your own karaoke thing going on, if you want.  Original title (I wonder why) You're Just in Love, by Irving Berlin, 1950.  My apologies, Mr. Berlin.  ;)   This is actually supposed to be a duet, with one person singing the first part and one person singing the second part at the same time.  I keep thinking that there should be a Talent Show at the next symposium and two of you could belt this out for one and all.  ;D ;D

http://kids.niehs.nih.gov/lyrics/hearsinging.htm

I Hear Doorbells

I hear doorbells and there's no one there                              
I hear music but I know not where,
All day long there's buzzing in the air
I wonder why? I wonder why?
I hear noises in my head all day,
And what's more, it doesn't go away
Sounds that used to never bother me
They sound so loud to me, I wonder why?

You don't need analyzin'
It is not so surprisin'
That you hear everything you hear
Your brain hears pitter-patter
I know just what's the matter
Because I've been there, too, my dear
In your head you've got a tumor
Yes it's real, it's not a rumor,
Those AN's bring on a symphony
There is nothing you can take
We might as well commiserate,
Because it’s the same for you and me.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 01:50:49 pm by Sue »
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Mickey

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:24 pm »
Over the past 5 years in my AN ear every so often I have a few days of chimes blended in with broken glass? Believe it or not it dosn`t sound too bad but I still rather not hear it. The "white noise" has been part of me for as long as I can remember (30yrs.+) more so on AN side. I guess we can adjust to anything, Mickey

Kaybo

« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2011, 05:27:51 pm »
OK...so I wanted to tell a "funny" that I heard today (& went back & read this whole thread thru and just laughed & laughed again!) but it gave me the red warning that it hadn't been posted on in over 120 days.  I thought that it had...did I start another thread about this same thing?  Of course, I guess 120 days is really only about 4 months - really not THAT long!!

While driving this afternoon, this kind of putty colored Suburban turned in front of me,

Addi: "Those cars always remind me of hippo's..."  *OK, I am sure you think as I thought this was where I was hearing her wrong...*

Me: "HIPPOS?  Really?"

Addi: "Yeah, a hippo...they are just long and comfy..."  *O-K-K-K...*

a few minutes later...

Me: "So how are hippos 'long & comfy'?"

Addi: "WHAT? They aren't COMFY..."
Me: "You said that they were COMFY..."

Addi: "I said CLUMPY!!"

OK...there you have it...didn't hear what I thought wrong but still heard the wrong thing none the less...   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

daniboy20

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2011, 08:06:29 am »
I have to say I loved all the posts too funny! I always mishear what people are saying to me. Just today my husband was in the kitchen talking to my daughter who can not talk yet...

Richard: (what I thought I heard) I like your cancer dear!
Me: WHAT?! what did you just say to Eva?

Richard: I SAID I LIKE HER PANTS! you know her stockings!!
Me: oh  :-[

My hubs always makes fun of me. I am always hearing strange things also, but my least fav. is this ringing that comes and goes... can not stand it.

FLsunshine

• A journey of a 1000 miles starts with one step
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2011, 03:53:19 pm »
Whenever I get down or frustrated, I go back to this thread and reread it.  Its a hoot!  I'm constantly messing up things to my son's great amusement.  First it was my hearing (either phantom noises or wrong words), but now I've got this cognitive mix up going on too because of the extreme fatigue.  So here are two recent funnies to add to the list:

I keep hearing my husband's cell phone going off.  Because he uses it for business it's important that calls get answered.  So each time I say in an urgent voice, "honey, honey... your cell is ringing."  He runs around the house trying to get it on time... or he nearly swerves off the road while driving and trying to get it out of his pocket.  After a few times when it obviously wasn't going off <but I was hearing it> he then decided to not check it the next time.  And wouldn't you know it... next time comes around and I again say, "honey its your phone" to which he says "oh no, not falling for the phantom noise in your head again"... but this this time it I was right and he missed an important client call.   We both laughed so hard.  He now calls me the girl that cried wolf!

Buying father's day card for 12yr old son to give his dad.  Should have taken him with me because when I brought out the card, oh so proud that I helped him not forget to do this nice gesture for his dad, he read it and looked at me quizically and said... "mom, this card is for a girl".  "No its not" I said... determined I was right because I had read that dang card at least 5 times in the store to make sure it was just perfect.  So I take the card, read it, and see that it is from a daughter to her dad ON HIS BIRTHDAY!  We laughed until we almost pee'd our pants.
3mm AN diagnosed in 2006
w&w with escalating symptoms
slow growth - at 4mm in 2010

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2011, 07:22:51 pm »
OMG!!! I just caught up with this thread and I haven't laughed this hard in a long time, I laughed till I cried, there were times i couldn't even breathe..........Oh thank you all for these, some of the funniest stuff.  And my husband is quite deaf so with my new SSD we make a funny pair ourselves...    :)  :)  LMAO!
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

MNTim

« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2011, 08:04:32 pm »
Rivergirl,

Thanks for directing me to this thread.  Now I can stop driving the car repair guys crazy with my insistence that my brakes are bad!  In the past 6 months they have told me several times that the brakes are fine but I know they are making a strange noise.

Tim
8/31/09 hydrocephulus-emergent drain
9/2/09 5 cm AN debulked, Retro Sig Abbott NW
5/18/10 Second debulk, Retro Sig Abbott NW
1/31/11 Translab, 7/12 Graft Mayo Rochester, MN
2/12/11 Lumbar drain
3/14/11 Eustacian tube packing procedure for CSF leak
2/28/13 Platinum weight & Tarsorrhaphy

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2011, 06:10:24 am »
OK, here's one...as a resident of Long Island, NY the first part of my daily commute to work in NYC is on the Long Island Rail Road.  As our train was arriving in Manhattan I heard the annoucement of the conductor on the train's PA, 'the sensation is in the pasta.'   I had to think about this for a moment as I wondered what the intention of this statement was.  Then I realized what was really announced was, 'this is Penn Station, the final stop.'

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

ombrerose4

« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2011, 07:57:44 am »
Very funny! I am constantly mishearing what is being said around me. Even better is that my husband also has hearing issues so he often doesn't hear my strange replies to his questions.
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2011, 08:34:57 am »
I love this thread!   Reminds me of one of my funnier "mis-hearing" moments.   The hubs and I were watching American Idol earlier this year and at one point the camera panned the crowd and Ryan Seacrest said "there are all the stink bombs."  What?  I turned to the hubs and asked if he found that to be a bit offensive and insensitive?  He looked puzzled, so I repeated what I'd heard.  After the hubs got done laughing, he told me that Ryan had said "there are all the stage moms."   Stink bombs ... stage moms, whatever. ;D

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2011, 11:19:33 am »
Good one Deb!!  I've been a STINK MOM and STAGE MOM many times now...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Rivergirl

• Rivergirl
« Reply #87 on: July 21, 2011, 03:02:08 pm »
Love this thread, makes me smile so!!!!!
Diagnosed 6/2008
Right AN 2cmx8x9
Sub-Occipital at Mass General with Martusa and McKenna on 5/31/11
Right SSD, very little taste
I think I will make it!

cin605

« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »
 ;D....I went to friends house Saturday..Hot ,humid=loud noise in ear... when i walked in i looked at him wide eyed and said Oh my god...can you hear all those sirens...i wonder what happened.. he grinned ear to ear and said ..Cindy its the fan. :o
I said you can not hear that....he just shook his head.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

ombrerose4

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2011, 07:15:20 am »
Very funny! This is the best thread, especially since it allows us to laugh at ourselves!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010