Author Topic: Funny things that we THINK we hear...  (Read 46656 times)

Kaybo

Re: Funny things that we THINK we hear...
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 09:19:19 am »
That is funny!   ;D

My "funniest" happened earlier this week while driving...I kept hearing road noise much worse than I have ever heard it in my van.  I even checked to make sure the door was shut good.  I thought, "Well, this van is getting some years on it - what can I expect?"  It was even louder when I got on the expressway...

Later (don't know how long this went on...day or days), I was waiting to pick the girlies up from school and was looking out the passenger side window - it was then that I noticed that window was down about a 1/2 inch.  Since I am deaf on that side, I guess the sound was kind of wrapping around.  It was loud enough that it bothered me, but of course, I couldn't tell where it was coming from!!  LOL!!   ;D

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »
Kay ~

Recently I told my wife that I thought there was a noise coming from the right side of one of our cars...probably the brakes.  She asked if I was sure.  I thought about it a moment and then I realized that to me, everything sounds as if it's coming from 'the right side.'  That's the side my functioning ear is on! 

For SSD folks, the fact that both specific as well as ambient sounds will seem to be on our 'good' side is simply a fact of life.  Not really a major problem as long as we remain cognizant of this reality. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

b91221b

• 1.4 x .09 cm 5/09. CK 10/21-22-23/09.
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2010, 07:04:11 am »
These are way too funny....and altogether too true!!   We have a new refrigerator.  I knew the sounds of the old one...but the new one's sounds are different.  It likes to "defrost itself" early in the morning...(which is when my symptoms seem to be at their strongest).  We also have a cat, who, from time to time, leaves us a "present" in the form of a hairball!  The noise is approximately the same....As I was searching the house for the cat because it sounded like she was "coughing", my husband reminded me that the refrigerator probably wasn't going to give us a "hairball", so I could stop looking!
Barbara

ombrerose4

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 07:40:07 pm »
When I first started reading this discussion I didn't think I was 'hearing' stange things. But the last few days whenever I am in the kitchen by myself, I think I hear my dog gagging  like she is going to throw up. So I keep turning around to check on her and she looks at me like "Hey, what's your problem?" It's so weird!
Retrosigmoid 9/24/09
AN 2.4+ cm left side
Mount Sinai Hospital, NYC (Dr. Bederson and Dr. Choe)
BAHA surgery 1/4/2010

Lynn Mc

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 06:54:48 am »
This is the first time I have read this thread.  Way to funny!!!  I see quite a bit  of me in the posts.  Right after surgery I was talking to a friend on the phone & I heard a dog barking.  Asked her who was barking & she said YOUR dog!  No way!!  It was coming through the phone.
I also hear water running in the early early AM, have to run to the BR!!!!  That is the only time I hear water.  Right after I go to bed I hear talking, can't quite make it out.  Still haven't figured that out. 

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

rupert

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

Might as well keep the thread going.  Lots of laughs.    I had an incident of mis hearing during one of my hearing tests.  I m sure some of you can relate.  There was an actual women giving me the test behind the window.   She said,   say the word  !!!!!!!.     I started to say it and then realized,   I can't say that.   I remember looking at her thru the window with a blank stare on my face.   She kept saying ,   say the word !!!!!!!!.    I didn't know if I should just make something up or what.   I didn't want to guess wrong.    Finally after about ten times she moved on.   I was looking for the candid camera.  I never did find out nor could I figure out  the word she wanted me to say.    Ironically , I thought my hearing was pretty good up to that point.

Bryan 

foodsmarts

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 08:18:41 pm »
We live in an avocado grove with hills. Somebody yells my name and I have no idea where it's coming from. I stand in one spot turning round and round really slowly, trying to figure it out. This usually gives everyone watching a bit of a laugh. With my wide footed stance and quizzical expression I look kind of like a puppet dangling and slowly circling. No, they aren't being mean - you just gotta laugh, otherwise???
5.4mm X 3.2mm X 3.88 mm at diagnosis 8/28/08; 1.1 cm X .5 cm 6/16/09; CK Stanford Drs. Chang and Soltys 8/19/09

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 08:22:55 pm »
We live in an avocado grove with hills. Somebody yells my name and I have no idea where it's coming from. I stand in one spot turning round and round really slowly, trying to figure it out. This usually gives everyone watching a bit of a laugh. With my wide footed stance and quizzical expression I look kind of like a puppet dangling and slowly circling. No, they aren't being mean - you just gotta laugh, otherwise???

Boy do I know that feeling.  I get that a lot when I am getting out of my car and someone calls out my name. I have no idea where they are calling me from and I haplessly keep turning around trying to find who is calling me and I feel like I am in a slapstick comedy.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

sgerrard

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 10:43:25 pm »
I had an incident of mis hearing during one of my hearing tests.  I m sure some of you can relate.  There was an actual women giving me the test behind the window.   She said,   say the word  !!!!!!!.     I started to say it and then realized,   I can't say that.

In one of my hearing tests I heard something like that from the audiologist, which I could not make out. I suddenly blurted out "Aflac!" She had to cover her microphone as she cracked up.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
This is a twist on the topic at hand.

Yesterday I was at the health club and decided to start out by walking on the track to warm up.  I pulled my iPod out of my pocket, stuck my single ear bud into my ear and started walking.  No sound  :(

I fiddled with the mono adapter thinking it wasn't in the socket correctly.  Still no sound  :( 

I checked to see if the sound on the iPod was turned down.  It wasn't.

I checked to see if I had it on pause.  I didn't.

Then I realized that I'd stuck the ear bud into my left ear.  BINGO!!!

I promptly removed it and placed it in my right one - you know, the one that can actually hear  ::)

Boy did I feel stupid  :D

Duh!!

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 10:43:14 pm »
That is a good one!!  Are you blond...who is the Blondie now??   ::)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 06:52:38 am »
Blonde.  Now there's an idea.  I've been saying my hair needs a change and was just thinking of getting it cut.  But blonde might be something to look into  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 06:59:25 am »
this *coff* blonde one says......  well, you know! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:59 am »
Blonde.  Now there's an idea.  I've been saying my hair needs a change and was just thinking of getting it cut.  But blonde might be something to look into  ;)

I think you should! Be sure to post pictures.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

joebloggs

« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2010, 12:31:20 am »
Jan, I do things like that all the time - I just forget that I can't hear out of my right ear!  I'm always beckoning people to talk into my right ear if I'm in a noisy place and then realise once they're speaking that I can't hear them!  What a dork!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!