Author Topic: Funny things that we THINK we hear...  (Read 46660 times)

hafdef

Re: Funny things that we THINK we hear...
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:42 am »
Lisa - that is soooo funny! 
I've not had an AN - just lost all hearing in left ear a few months ago due to ???????.  But this forum has been very helpful and I thank you all for it.

So anyway, my job allows me to telecommute most days and my 2 little dogs spend most of their time in my home office looking out the window at the street.  When anyone passes, they start growling but have learning to shush if I snap my fingers - otherwise it escalates into full-blown barking.  A few days after I lost my hearing on one side, I'm on the phone with the HR director of a client company and I hear dogs barking in her office.  How nice, I think, they allow employees to bring their dogs to work.  Well, the dogs continue barking and barking and it becomes really annoying and I'm wondering how she can allow them to carry on like that when I can hardly hear her and then I realize - it's my dogs.  I hadn't realized it would now sound like everything was coming from the phone, since I wasn't picking up anything in my other ear.  I really didn't know what to say to her to explain.  Live and learn.

Kaybo

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 09:19:15 am »
hafdef~
I have answered my door before while on the phone to my friend - her clock has the same chime as my doorbell!!   ;D  I hear it thru the phone!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 06:35:55 am »
We have a fairly small house and sound really travels.  My daughters (13 and 15) often fool around way too long after bedtime and since they have to get up early for school, we really discourage this.  I thought I heard them laughing about half an hour after they went to bed and yelled upstairs for them to turn off the TV and go to sleep.  My husband looked at me like I was crazy and said why are you yelling upstairs, they're probably asleep.  We were watching Jay Leno and it  turned out that the laughter I heard was from the TV, not my kids.  Was my face red!! :D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Dan T

• 34M, Diagnosed with AN 9/14/09 Size 5mm
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2009, 08:22:36 pm »
Thank you everyone sooo much for the warm welcome and vast knowledge, i feel like I'm in information overload.  I have been highly referred to the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Dr Baetty, they do over 2000 cases of AN each year, does anyone of any personal input.

epodjn

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 02:26:22 pm »
I have a new funny to add to the thread. Last night my husband came home from a meeting and said (what I thought I heard) Well, I'm fat and dumb!! He had a huge smile on his face. Now this is not at all true of my husband so my comment was , No you are not!!! He looked at me kind of funny and said, What do I have left to do?? At this point I was new I had not heard him correctly and asked what the original comment was. What he really said was "I'm finally done". He had just finished rechartering our local Boy Scout Unit. (and it's a real pain to do) We both had a good laugh over it.
Julie
Left side 3.2cm AN/FN removed 12/8/08 Dr's. Shelton and Reichman. SSD, facial paralysis,taste issues, lateral tarrsoraphy 6/25/09,scheduled for eye and nasal valve surgery 6/22/11 life is GOOD!

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 03:47:06 pm »
that's a good one!   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

another NY postie

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 05:17:24 pm »
lol with all of this...I am glad that I am not the only one who hears not only the wrong thing, but often bizarre and inappropriate things that make me laugh but also make me wonder if my brain is in the gutter! lol...I can't even begin to tell you what I have thought has come out of my 10 year old's mouth!
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

b91221b

• 1.4 x .09 cm 5/09. CK 10/21-22-23/09.
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 05:19:47 am »
Oh, my....you all have made my day!!!   LOL!!!

Barbara
Barbara

another NY postie

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2009, 04:43:59 pm »
Ok, I was waiting for it to happen...dropping off my 10 year old at sleepover and helping her get her stuff out of car when I hear her say "do I smell bad"  and I am like huh?!?  So I say "of course you don't smell bad - you smell fine - why are you worried?" at which time she tells me that she asked if we had her small bag....oops! :D
5 mm lateral IAC (impacted?) diagnosed 6-09-09
middle fosa 9/23 HEI - Brackmann/Schwartz
all tumor gone, facial perfect, no ringing
SSD on right side - Rockin' and Rollin'

Sobes

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2009, 06:43:33 pm »
Oh...this was too fun! Thanks for the laughs everyone  :D

I wonder if that is what's happening to me? Hubby and I will be upstairs in bed and it will be really quiet and suddenly I will hear a sound or something. I am waking him up all the time saying "honey, did you hear that"? Of course he says "no" and looks at me like I'm crazy lol  ;D I hear knocking noises and always think someone is trying to break in or vandalize or something....hmmm...very enlightening!

I've had some funny things happen with misunderstandings as well, but cannot think of a single one right now...maybe tomorrow! Thanks again everyone for the funny's  ;D

Bren~
Small AN, left side, Oct. 22 2009
Surgery Dec. 22 @ UW Madison (wonderful doctors)
SSD (left side)

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 06:48:14 pm »
Even though I hear VERY funny stuff ALL the time, a couple of nights ago there was a HUGE gas line explosion about 10 miles from us.  Apparently you could hear the explosion, feel the ground shake and see it from a LONG way off...me?...I slept thru the whole thing!

K ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Nickittynic

• Bug in the Brain Blog
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 02:17:25 pm »
The first few days after surgery I "heard" electrical sounds and weird violin and organ music in my non-hearing ear.   ???

Today I was on the phone when my baby started crying, and I thought for a second "Why do they(was on the phone with insurance) have a baby in their office?" It sounded like the crying was coming through the phone!
25 year old OBGYN nurse, wife, mother of two
5.5cm x 3.1cm left side AN removed via retrosigmoid 9/09 @ Hopkins
SSD, Tinnitus, Chronic Migraines, Facial paralysis (improving!)
Resolved - Left sided weakness, Cognitive issues
Gold weight, upper and lower punctal plugs, tarsorrhaphy

clr

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:03 am »
Speaking of things we think we hear, my daughter has become a dog whisperer. She is constantly yelling at him to be quiet. He is NOT making a sound but she keeps saying he is crying, wimpering. It's pretty bad actually. This has been going on since her first surgery in December 2008!!

Cindy
I do not have an AN, my 23 yo daughter does. Her username here is Bets.
4.6cm x 3.6cm x 4.4cm  UPMC Retrosigmoid 12/29/2009, 01/19/2009, 06/22/2009 
CK Oct 2009, Dr. Hirsch
SSD before & after surgery
After 3 surgeries, some facial paralysis, but will come back

lawmama

• I'm a Postie Now!!!
    • My AN Blog:
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 06:58:58 pm »
Husband in the other room:  "Oh, you're going to New York too early, if you had waited until my birthday you could have gone walking with dying lawyers."
ME:  "Why on EARTH would I want to go walking with dying lawyers...what does that even mean anyway??"
Husband, laughing, still in the other room:  "NO, walking with Diane Sawyer"
ME:  *pause* "I could go walking with Diane Sawyer??"
Husband, finally coming into the room with me:  "I said, 'Walking with DINOSAURS!'"

I guess there was some kind of exhibit or show or something he saw on TV.  The first time I didn't really hear him, but the second time I could have sworn he said Diane Sawyer.  Pretty funny to me.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 07:02:06 pm by lawmama »
9mm X 7mm tumor (left side), diagnosed 10-15-09
Retrosigmoid on 12-14-09 by Drs. Antonelli and Lewis (my heroes!)
Shands in Gainesville, FL
SSD, but no facial issues.  Mild tinnitus.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2010, 09:27:17 pm »
Funny to me too  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways