Author Topic: and down the stretch they come  (Read 3654 times)

Ernie

and down the stretch they come
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:43:59 am »
Well my decision part of the journey is almost over.  After 4 months of researching, posting, and speaking with 6 different docs I have decided to go with the MF approach.  The only thing left for me to decide is where to have it done. 

I was originally really set on House.  I have consulted with Dr. Wilkinson and Dr. Schwartz.   But my meeting with Dr. Jackler at Stanford went very well and I feel pretty comfortable with him.  He has done thousands of AN surgeries.  The thing is though he really has not done any type of statistical tracking of the outcomes of his surgeries.  He does a team approach with a neurosurgeon by the name of Harsh.

Does anybody have experience or knowledge about Dr. Jackler or Dr. Harsh at Stanford?  Are there any websites or publications that would have stats on Stanford, Dr. Jackler, or Dr. Harsh?

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: and down the stretch they come
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 02:10:35 pm »
I Goggledâ„¢ Stanford/Dr.Jackler and found the Stanford website and Dr. Jackler's resume http://med.stanford.edu/profiles/surgery/frdActionServlet?choiceId=facProfile&fid=3947.

Another Stanford site offered up Dr. Harsh's resume (and photo).  http://stanfordhospital.org/clinicsmedServices/COE/neuro/brainTumors/team.html

There are websites that offer doctor 'evaluations' (from patients) but I doubt you'll find statistics on the exact number of AN surgeries either doctor has performed or any clear record of outcomes.  Remember, to a surgeon, simply removing the tumor and not killing the patient is 'success'.  That is what he (or she) is paid to do.  'Quality of life', post-op, may be crucial to surgery patients (and to most surgeons) but it is not strictly defined, much less tracked.  One has to assume that if a doctor is very experienced with AN removals and has performed thousands (as Dr. Jackler has) he must have pretty good outcomes or no one would recommend him.   Frankly, I would pose the question directly: "how many of your AN patients retain facial mobility, post-op" and "what is the risk of post-op headaches?" or anything else that concerns you.  An ethical doctor will respond honestly and will probably remind you that, as my neurosurgeon did, that although he'll do his very best, he cannot guarantee the outcome and there are risks involved. 

I wish you great success with your AN surgery and of course, no complications.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 07:18:58 pm »
I know of one person (matti) who had her surgery with the Stanford team 11 yrs ago (she's doing real well)..... and a very dear friend of mine having non-AN brain surgery in 2 wks (on 7/13) at Stanford.  I have heard nothing but great news out of the micro-surgical teams there.  But, that is only what I've "heard" and hoping what Jim has researched has helped the cause.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Lilan

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:45:07 pm »
HeyCT had surgery at Stanford with excellent results; you might contact her.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Vivian B.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »
Hi Ernie,

I can't help you find a doctor as I am not from the States but wanted to wish you all the best on your decision and your surgery.

Vivian

CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jackie

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 08:52:40 pm »
Hi Ernie,

You may want to contact DMH otherwise known as Daisy Head Maisy she had Jacklar and harsh, I believe, with quite a story to tell! I will let her share, she is sooooooooooooo knowledgeable and a great gal, who I am sure will be most willing to share her experience.
Good-luck on almost being there!!!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???