Author Topic: My Phone Consult with Dr Slattery re facial nerve hemangioma  (Read 6425 times)

Staceyann

I am very happy to have found this site and to have learned about Lilan's surgery at House Clinic !
Friday evening I had a very informative call from Dr Slattery/House Ear Clinic.He agrees that I have facial nerve hemangioma. He recommends debulking of the hemangioma via middle fossa approach.This approach will ensure that the facial nerve remains intact.He did say that since I have had facial paralysis(HB2) for so lmany years, it would be unlikely that the facial function would improve after the tumor is debulked.

It is interesting that this approach has not been offered to me previously. Logically, it makes sense  to me that if you can remove most of the hemangioma and preserve facial nerve function and hearing it is the approach to choose.The alternative being waiting until the tumor grows ,facial nerve function worsens and you then have to remove the entire tumor with resulting complete facial nerve paralysis and hearing loss.

I  thought a lot about this and have pretty much made up my mind that I am going to go to House for surgery.

Kaybo

Re: My Phone Consult with Dr Slattery re facial nerve hemangioma
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:56:58 am »
Hi Staceyann - just wanted to welcome you to our little corner of the world!

K ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 11:29:55 am »
Staceyann, I am glad to hear you are investigating your options and talking to House about your hemangioma.

The thought of advising anyone on a decision terrifies me  ;)  but obviously that's the decision I made, so depending on your expectations, age and general health, among other things, I do think it can be the right one!

Of course, I was so dizzy that the "let nature take its course/enjoy your facial nerve while it lasts" path didn't seem like an option to me. Also, being that I'm (relatively) young (surgically speaking) and in good health made me take more of a "no guts, no glory" approach -- especially once I read their new study, which Dr. Slattery is the first named doctor on (along with Brackmann and Semaan).

Best of continued luck and please feel free to ask me any questions as you cruise along.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:29:06 pm »
Staceyann .....

Want to add my welcome to this forum even though I cannot directly address your situation.  Please consider us another form of support as you walk through this journey from diagnosis to research to decision-making to treatment to post-op questions.

Welcome!!  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 06:33:16 am »
Staceyann -

your phone consult with Dr. Slattery sounds very positive.

Treatment options are a personal choice, but IMO he's definitely a doc to seriously consider.

Good luck in reaching your decision; it's often the hardest part of the journey.

Best,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Staceyann

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 12:40:15 pm »
Thanks to you all for your warm welcomes :)

Vivian B.

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 05:54:30 am »
Hi Stacyann,

Welcome to the forum. You will find many answers on this forum and it looks like you are already doing your research.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 03:07:03 pm »
Hello and welcome, Stacyann ~

I can only concur with the previous posters - that you appear to be doing the necessary research and making solid decisions.  The House Ear Institute is a fine facility, as you know.  Dr. Slattery's recommendation seems quite logical as does your opinion of the wisdom of using the Middle Fossa approach in your case.  Whether or not you use HEI as your facility we'll support your choice - because that's what we do here.  :)  Please let us know your final decision. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009, 01:00:25 am »
Staceyann -- Dr Slattery was my surgeon.  He's a good guy who cares very much about his patients.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments