Author Topic: Anticipating surgery, tumor still growing after CK  (Read 3511 times)

mellowrama

Anticipating surgery, tumor still growing after CK
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:42:26 pm »
Hello all, its been a while since I've been here.  I was hoping that my ck procedure worked, but evidently not as the tumor is now 2.5 cm.  My doctor has contacted me about having surgery in 6 months via Barrow Institute.  I'm assuming it will be retrosigmoid surgery....my question is should I get a second opinion, (not for if surgery, but where).  I think my Docs are good there, but I don't want to not consider all options, and would like to know the latest in technology is being used with minimally invasive techniques.  Anyone know of Dr Jhos?  Thinking about house and john hopkins.  My hearing is still perfect, more concerned with facial nerve,etc.  It will be a journey wherever I go via New Mexico...
thanks for feedback, mel
22mm x 19mm x 12mm CyberKnife  9/25/2006 BNI Dr. Daspit/Dr. Smith/Dr. Brachman
Failed radiation - regrowth to 2.6cm 
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 
Baha surgery with Dr. Baker in OKC nov 2009
Baha revision surgery by Dr. Horn in ABQ 8/2011

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
Re: Anticipating surgery, tumor still growing after CK
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 07:19:40 am »
Hi mellowrama,
  To me, 25 mm vs. 22 mm is pretty close to the margin of variation between MRIs.  There can be some variation between measured MRI dimensions due to where the slices cross the AN-- right through the center vs. not right through the center of the AN.  Has the AN been shown to be growing on several successive MRIs?  Obviously, I'm not a doctor, or an expert.  And you and your doctor know what's best for you.  I would be tempted to watch and wait a bit longer to see if it's really demonstrating growth over time.
Regards,
  Rob
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:21:15 am by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

mellowrama

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:42:04 am »
Hi Rob,  yes, it was only 1-2mm in december and now a total of 3mm since then, in all 3 directions.

I had ck in sept 2006, and I guess it didn't work.  The plan my doc is making is that I come in anticpating that if its still growing in December/January for sugery...they would do a "wand" mri to see if its still growing, and if so within a week use the mri during surgery.
Translab Surgery w/ House Docs 8/26/2009 Dr. Friedman, Dr. Schwartz, SSD, tinnitus. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 01:39:16 pm »
mellow!  :-*  :-*  :-*

My heart sank when I saw this post.. and I have to agree with Rob on this one.. it is SO darn close to the head MRI total margin of error of approx +/-2mm.  I know Daspit is a great doc and have total faith in BNI.....  maybe have Medbery take a look at the films (he will do it as well, without crunching toes at BNI).  If you have past CD's of your MRI's.. and the latest, all burned on CD... you may want to send to him for a "2nd opinion". May be worth a thought. I have emailed him images of my MRI's for him to look and he had no issue in doing so..... just a suggestion.

I hate the reason why you did this post... it truly sunk my heart as you had your CK right after me... but I'm so glad to see you. You have been missed.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mellowrama

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 12:21:20 pm »
thanks Phyl, Dr. Medberry in OKC?  Yes, I thought I'd send around for a second opionion.  I'm also a bit concerned about any issues of removing the tumor after radiation....
m

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 12:35:58 pm »
thanks Phyl, Dr. Medberry in OKC?  Yes, I thought I'd send around for a second opionion.  I'm also a bit concerned about any issues of removing the tumor after radiation....
m

yeppers, that be the man.... his email and street address noted in his posts and I know he's always glad to help out with a film read, if asked...... I have heard both ways on post-radiation surgical removal..... it really depends on factors and I'd have the films reviewed first before anything... a 2nd opinion... then move on from there... just my 2 cents.

Hang in there. I'll be watching but still sending the hugglez

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"