Author Topic: Choosing the Doc  (Read 4652 times)

sharonov

• 1.7 X 1.3 X 1.1. Retro sigmoid at House, Schwartz
Choosing the Doc
« on: June 22, 2009, 04:17:12 pm »
Wow, this is worse than choosing a husband!  Actually, that wasn't hard at all.  I'm trying to think about the last time I had to make a decision that had the potential of affecting my life in such a profound way, and just can't.  This is it.  I don't need to list the possibilities of what a wrong decision could bring.  So, here are the finalists (drum roll please)--by the way, I live in Chicago but have a son in California, and for something this important I'll travel.

--Dr. Battista (due to Jan's recommendation)   Have an appointment with him next Monday.  Didn't like his office staff that made the appointment, but we shall see.

--Dr. Ganz (due to two recommendations from this site)  Have to phone tomorrow.  I am amused that his secretary's name is Sharon Flake.  My name is Sharon and I AM sometimes a flake so am very glad that is not my name.

--Dr. Friedman of the House Clinic--Read some other posts about him so gave a call--to my shock he came on the phone and actually talked to me!  Said he has done more AN surgery than any other doc his age--80 last year and he is 47.  Reassured me about many things.  Really like talking to him and felt much better after the phone call.

My daughter immediately called up their CV's and said that Ganz's was by far the best, but he's the oldest so of course he's accomplished more.

Comments would be appreciated.
Sharon

Cheryl R

Re: Choosing the Doc
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 04:33:26 pm »
Gantz's Sharon is also blond.         She is nice except for when one calls back post op and wants to try and get a longer time of work and then she has a fit.     You knew ahead of time how long to be off.             Excuse me, how do we know what it was going to feel like.        I had a bit of a hassle and know of more than one who has with it.    Otherwise seemed fine.   
Tues and Weds are clinic days.              If you do go see him, there is always a long wait as they are almost always behind schedule.      Most of the clinics are there.     
Sharon, you were at the last symposium?           I was trying to remember if had seen you.       I was with the last times bunch of  forumers.                                              Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

sharonov

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 04:47:25 pm »
Yep, I was at the last forum, in Philly.  We had never been to the city and so we stayed an extra couple of days--just loved it!  At the end of that forum I had made a decision that if I ever needed surgery on my little tumor (1.4x1.3.1.1) I'd go Cyberknife with Dr. Chang.  Then came the horrific pain of Trigeminal Neuralgia..........

Anyhow, are you coming to this one?

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 06:03:06 pm »
Good luck!!
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 06:51:18 pm »
Sharon -

Well, I definitely did MUCH better in the doctor category than in the husband one!  ;D :D

I've heard complaints about the staff @ Chicago Ear - and I've had some issues with them myself.  My solution was to find someone who knew what was going on, get her name, and always ask for her.  In addition, I've complained to Dr. Battista more than once.  He's very open to suggestions where his staff is concerned, so please voice your complaint to him on Monday.  Also, tell him I said hi.  It's been a little over a year since I've seen him, but I'm certain he'll remember me.

Good luck with all your appointments.  Although I'm obviously biased, I know that Dr. Gantz is an outstanding doctor from Cheryl.  Incidentally, she is attending the symposium - and bringing lots of pictures of her grandchildren for me to see.  So, please bring some pictures of yours also. 

The doctors @ House also have very good reputations.

Whomever you choose, IMO, you can't go wrong.

Best,

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

RES

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 07:29:59 pm »
Sharon,

I had middle fossa surgery at the Univ. of Iowa on May 14th.  Drs. Gantz and Woodson did a great job. I returned to work on the 17th of June and feel great. The entire medical team was very organized and personable.  I had very little wait time during my appointments. I initially met with Dr. Gantz on May 5th and he said he could perform the surgery on May 8th. I agree with Cheryl R, Sharon Flake gets a little stubborn when you request a longer time off. She had me scheduled to return to work on 6/12 but my follow-up was scheduled for 6/16.

I had an appointment scheduled with Dr. Battista but canceled after I met with Dr. Gantz since I felt very confident after the meeting. I also have relatives that live near Iowa City so it worked for me. If I lived in Chicago I may have had the surgery performed at the Ear Clinic as I've heard a lot of good things about them as well. Either way I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

Best of Luck,

Ron

Ron
AN 1.9CM Left Side
Middle Fossa Surgery @ University of Iowa 5/14/09
Drs. Gantz & Woodson (Great job!)
No major Post-op issues.

sgerrard

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 08:40:15 pm »
Hi Sharon,

I'm not sure there is wrong decision in there - they are all good choices. You have to remember that you can't guarantee the outcome in any event, so as long as you pick someone with experience, you have done your best.

Your reaction to speaking with Dr. Friedman is important, because besides having surgery, you will be having follow up with your surgeon, and how you feel about your interaction with them and their office will matter. Your comments about him have the ring of your gut speaking, which most of us agree is important to listen to.

Hope you make it to a decision in one piece. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

sharonov

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 07:39:21 am »
Thanks Steve and everyone else.  I want to be in one piece and at peace.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 08:14:13 am »
Sharon .....

Just want to echo what Steve said ...... once you have several excellent possible choices in front of you, then you need to let your inner self guide what seems best for you.  My thoughts and prayers as you work through the final phase of your decision-making.  (You will feel so much better when it is made!)

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

NL

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 04:13:48 pm »
Hi Sharon,

Sounds like you have some very good recommendations. And as others have said, you'll make the decision that feels best to you.

I was one of Dr. Friedman's 80 surgeries last year.  I had a very good experience with him, and appreciated the fact that he would always return my calls and emails quickly. He took the time to answer my questions and address all my concerns in the weeks leading up to surgery.  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck with your decision - IMO that's the hardest part!

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

sharonov

Skull Base Institute
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 01:15:09 pm »
Well, I had it down to three and have two appointments next week with Dr. Ganz and Dr. Battista.  Battista would not do a phone consult, but he's not far away. 

Now I have a new frontfunner:  the Skull Base Institute in L.A.  I did a search on this site and found a few people who had very good experience with Dr. Shahinian.  Anybody hear  anything negative about SBI?  I know the procedure hasn't been around terribly long, but I really like the idea of saving my hearing, my face and my balance all without retracting my poor brain (after all this, my feeble brain is overtaxed as it is!)  My husband had the much-less invasive robotic surgery for his prostate cancer and is neither incontinent nor impotent (yeah, I know, too much information, but that's the equivalent fear with prostate surgery), and I see a slight similarity. 
Sharon

sharonov

Re: Choosing the Doc (Ganz)
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 06:11:58 am »
Had a phone consult yesterday with Dr. Ganz that left me depressed.  Is he more realistic than Friedman an Shahinian or is he used to worse cases?  He confirmed, after looking at the MRI,  that my AN is indeed "impinging" on the 5th cranial nerve and is probably causing the Trigeminal Neuralgia.  He also said that is very rare and is the first time he's seen it.  We're talking an old guy here, about a year younger than I (I'm 66).  He wants to go in translab, and I asked if that would destroy the hearing and he said yes but it would save the facial nerve.  I asked if that would stop the TN and he sort of skirted the question.  He said that he didn't do MVDs (procedure for TNs).  So I think I'll cross him off my list.  Maybe he'd be different in person, and I do have an appointment with him next Tuesday, but rather than drive 4 hrs. there and 4 hrs. back I think I'll cancel.

I do, however, want to avoid "feeling good" about a doc just because they tell me what I want to hear.  Arghhhh!!!!

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 06:52:57 am »
Gantz doesn't mess around when he talks to you.   He is right on about what is done.     I haven't heard of a retrosigmoid there come to think of it.      Mid fossa or trans lab.                I wondsr if it is due to his partner in the surgeries is the Felow neurotologist and not a neurosurgeon which Iowa has super good ones of that too.                     I wasn't sure about his bedside manner but think it is better as you get to know him which I have all too well with NF2.                         
    Well just keep working on what you feel is best for you.            Then also just hope it turns out like you hope no matter where you go.                The not knowing till it is done is not what we wish we could tell people ahead of time.
                               I wish you well!                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53:34 pm »

Your reaction to speaking with Dr. Friedman is important, because besides having surgery, you will be having follow up with your surgeon, and how you feel about your interaction with them and their office will matter. Your comments about him have the ring of your gut speaking, which most of us agree is important to listen to.

I definitely agree with Steve on this point - I believe in the whole "go with your gut" feeling; I followed it myself.

However, I have to say that IMO there's a lot to be said for having a surgeon who is located within a reasonable proximity to where you live.  Routine follow up is one thing, but if you need follow up beyond the routine, some local doctors are hesitant to deal with problems you may encounter since they didn't perform your surgery.  I've heard this complaint several times from patients who have traveled long distances for their surgery.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways