Author Topic: is MARC S. SCHWARTZ , M.D. at House Ear Clinic Good?  (Read 17624 times)

nycnewbie

is MARC S. SCHWARTZ , M.D. at House Ear Clinic Good?
« on: May 27, 2009, 12:46:24 pm »
I have spoke with Brackmann, but not Schwartz yet. Has anyone had Schwartz and know how many acoustic neuroma surgeries he has done?

cindyj

Re: is MARC S. SCHWARTZ , M.D. at House Ear Clinic Good?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 02:07:31 pm »
He certainly did the trick for me...and many others here as well.  He works with most, if not all, of the docs at House.  Don't know his numbers, but know it must be many, many.  He and Dr. Friedman did my surgery.  I only dealt with Dr. Friedman initially.  I never spoke to Dr. Schwartz prior to my arrival in LA for the surgery, but when I did finally meet him, I liked him very much; but more importantly, I liked my results.  Sure others will chime in.

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:30:05 pm »
Was just posting this on behalf of Alicia, who had surgery last week for a tumor that turned out to be the size of a tangerine or small orange. Her story is at My Beach Vacation on Inquiries.

Her hub says:

I would especially like to thank the wonderful doctors at House Clinic specifically Dr Friedman and Dr Swartz who not only saved Alicia’s quality of life but did so great passion and caring.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 10:33:31 pm »
if you have a surgery at house with any of the surgeons (brackmann etc), most likely you will have schwartz on the surgical team as he is the main neurosurgeon there.  During my pre-op examination, i also consulted with him over my MRIs - he is professional and his opinions are very well taken in by other surgeons.  hope this helps and good luck!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 10:06:42 am »
NYCnewbie,

You may want to have a looksy loo at this thread- that mentions Dr. Swartz.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=1481.0

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

karith

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 10:21:12 am »
Dr. Schwartz was one of my surgeons in April.   He is one of those intensely focused and precise neurosurgeons that you know you can count on to do the right thing.  I was impressed with his serious attention to detail and individual factors (potential allergic reaction to titanium, in my case) and the extra measures he takes to ensure the best results possible.  You can be sure you are in good hands at the House Ear Clinic, and Dr. Schwartz is one of the reasons why. 
1.1 cm x .5 cm left AN
Middle-fossa surgery 4/3/09
Dr. Friedman/Dr. Schwartz, House Ear Clinic, LA
tumor successfully removed
returned to work 6/2/09
now: SSD, balance challenges, tinnitus, metalic taste, sudden headaches
1 year MRI looked okay; follow-up with another at year 2

OTO

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »
Dr. Schwartz is the House neurosurgeon.   He usually teams with a neuro-otologist (specialized ear surgeon) to do the operation.    Usually you would consult with the other doctor first, and Schwartz will then discuss the details of the surgery.   I'm not 100% sure who does what during the surgery... but one of them does the detailed work "peeling" the AN off the nerves while looking thru the microscope.   Dr. Schwartz was straight forward, very well spoken, answered my questions, but I saw the other doctors a lot more...

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 10:42:36 am »
I know of a neurosurgeon who placed this nice young man, Dr. Swartz, between a rock in and a hard spot when he was asked to call me and answer some of my tough questions. Dr Swartz, during our conversation, showed the upmost professionalism and I came out of my conversation very respectful of him.  I continue to hear positive things stated about him- both on the forum and in support group meetings.

One question I suggest you ask of Dr. Swartz is whether or not he uses skull putty (Calcium phosphate) to seal the craniotomy hole surface- or not. I know that one of the neurosurgeons, who he trained with in Oregon, is very big on the “skull putty”. I have discovered that neurosurgeons have differences of opinions on this to which, in some, it creates a controversy. For the last 2 years I was feeling bitter that my own neurosurgeon had NOT used the putty and I was left with such a large crater in my skull. I recently asked of Dr. Kazan, at the recent Chicago symposium, why this should not be used. Dr. Kazan, who is older than young Dr. Swartz, gave a very compelling answer to my question- as to why it should NOT be used. The biggest reason being the risk of the substance breaking down with time… and later causing infection as your body attempts to reject it. I came out of Dr. Kazan’s talk with a new found respect for my own neurosurgeon who adamantly would NOT use the skull putty (to which at that time I was unhappy about) and perhaps my bitter taste about “the crater lake in my head” has subdued …now I have a better understanding.

Nevertheless I would still like to know what Dr. Swartz, specifically, thinks of the “skull putty” issue and what his professional opinion is on it - now that he has had even more experience since his earlier training days. I found Dr. Swartz is very good at examining the pros and cons of various methods and approached used in neurosurgery. Dr. Swartz’s phone manner is excellent- from my own personal experience... and believe me I was very stressed out, back then, when he and I spoke. I was still in the "What do I do?" "Where do I go?" stage...

Your conversation, with him, will be more productive if you clearly organize the questions you want to ask of him. Perhaps the "calcium phosphate skull putty" use is a question to ask.

Making "the decision" is a tough one- I know... I was there.

HUGS to you.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:31:45 pm »
Dr. Schwartz was part of my surgical team at House when I had my translab procedure in January 2008. I met him the day before my surgery and both my husband and I were quite pleased with him (I should add that I was totally pleased with everyone we met during the House experience). So, in answer to your question, "is he good?" I would respond with an enthusiastic "YES !!!" You will be in excellent hands.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

4uwk

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:04:14 am »
Dr. Schwartz is amazing.  He worked with Dr. Brackmann on three of my four friends who have had AN. (The fourth had Dr. Hitselberger who is now retired)  You can bet that if he wasn't good he wouldn't be working with Dr. Brackmann! 

Wwoodian

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:31 pm »
Dr. Schwartz is brilliant--the main neurosurgeon at House.  He is very intense--probably not the best bed-side kind of guy, but that isn't really what you want from the guy working near your brain!
Diagnosed with 1 cm AN on 10-28-09
Middle Fossa surgery on left side 11-20-09
Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz at House Clinic in LA.
No hearing loss or facial nerve problems
Severe double vision and bouncy vision
Yahoo!  Double Vision gone after 3 months!
Did a full marathon 1 1/2 yrs after surgery!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 10:05:26 pm »
well gee... this post (as a follow up here) speaks volumes

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=11462.msg132388#msg132388

Wow

DHM

jaylogs

• Administrator
  • It's NOT a too-mah! (Anymore!)
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 10:41:06 pm »
Hello there, I just wanted to pipe in that I just had Dr. Scwartz do my middle fossa along with Dr. Brackmann...my AN was small (8mm) so there wasn't a great lot of complications. My hearing was saved but this isn't always the case. As it was mentioned, he does have the mannerisms of a brilliant neurosurgeon.  But when you are under the effects of anethesia who really cares, right? Anyways, he has done TONS of these so that should speak volumes.  The man knows his craft and does it well! It's the whole team that really makes a difference, as I also had a really good doctor doing a fellow thing under Dr. Brackmann. His name is Dr. Bien but they usually rotate these guys in and out.  I am thinking all the neuro-otologists at House are great...haven't heard a bad thing yet.  Hope this helps!
8.1mm x 7.8mm x 8.2mm AN, Left Ear, Middle Fossa surgery performed on 12/9/09 at House by Drs. Brackmann/Schwartz. Some hearing left, but got BAHA 2/25/11 (Ponto Pro) To see how I did through my Middle Fossa surgery, click here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaylogston

Michelle K

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:36:13 am »
Hello nycnewbie,

I'm a newbie as well, diagnosed in November 2009.  I have translab surgery scheduled with Dr. Brackmann and Schwarts at the HEI on 2/2/10.  I've heard so many wonderful things about both of these Dr's on the forum, and after a lot of research, I know I will be in good hands.  I would be happy to share my experience with you, to give you a first hand perspective if you would like.  Feel free to contact me.

Michelle
1.7cmx1.23cmx.8mm, diagnosed Nov 11, 2009. Translab surgery completed w/ Dr. Schwartz, Dr. Brackmann, and Dr. Ursich (fellow) at House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, CA, on 2/2/10.  SSD (no hearing preservation attempted), very mild balance issues, no facial issues, counting my lucky stars so far!

arkansasfarmgirl

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 12:34:13 pm »
Dr. Schwartz is brilliant--the main neurosurgeon at House.  He is very intense--probably not the best bed-side kind of guy, but that isn't really what you want from the guy working near your brain!

I second this.  I found him somewhat abrupt, brutally honest, and hard to follow (he talks really fast and I'm from the South LOL), BUT he also gives the impression of competence and confidence, which is reassuring when someone is going to be digging in your brain.  I had a great experience with all the doctors at House.

Vonda