Author Topic: My Beach Vacation  (Read 15908 times)

alicia

• it is well
My Beach Vacation
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:12:06 pm »
I am now officially more official with my date.  I was May 14 in Nebraska, but now I am May 19 at House!  I never knew my brain could make so many decisions and I am sure it is not running at full capacity these days!

Let me give lots of thanks to
Donnalynn
NL
Chocolate truffle
Garzap
Firewalker
Lisa Peele
Christine D
and many more that have PM'd me about all these choices.  I so appreciate the time you take from your personal lives to help us Newbies during these confusing times.

I too am shopping for button up pj's - did I actually just say that?  I buy those for my grandma!! 

Myself, husband, and 2 kids are flying in on May 14.  Spending Fri, Sat, and Sun, playing tourist.  Our close friends are coming as well(with their 3 kids) and then will fly home with our kids on Monday before surgery.  Swimming with the dolphins is in our future!!

We are booked at Seton for May 17-31.  Did I mention my folks are driving from Wyoming to be close during surgery?  Oh yea, they will bring the kitchen sink!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
Re: My Beach Vacation
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »
Congrats on making a decision Alicia.  I hope as each day passes you get more and more comfortable with it.  Very cool that all of you get to spend a few days together having fun before you go in!!

May 14th is coming up so quick!!  I'm sure I don't need to tell you that!  I hope to be not that far behind you........

Best wishes for a smooth procedure and recovery!

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:44:15 pm »
Hi Alicia,

Look at you! A vacation in sunny California, with a side excursion to House for brain surgery.

Don't forget to update the AN Calendar. We want to be sure and wish you all the best when the day arrives.

Congratulations on making your decision. Now go do some shopping.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 12:08:39 am »
Alicia
Congratulations on making a decision.  If you need us, there is a support group of House alums here in LA that can get together with you pre-surgery for advice and support -- or to give you tips on what to see while here in LA.  Just let us know.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 05:31:18 am »
That's great news.  I know how good it feels to get a date. ( I know I felt like I had won the lottery.)  Shows you how much your perspective can change.  I love your plan--vacation with friends and kids, then friends take kids home!  I wish you all the best with your surgery; you're certainly in good hands.  May 19 is my next hearing test, so I will be thinking of you.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 05:57:32 am »
With 5 kids, 4 adults, and 3 days in LA, I'm thinking the OR team will be able to save a bunch of money on the anethesia costs...you'll be out from sheer exhaustion.

Congratualtions on having been able to take a step out of limbo. The whole decision making, arranging, and scheduling process is one of the tough parts of this whole journey. It sounds like you have a great plan and good support from friends and family.

Here's to 100% positive outcomes.

..take care... tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 06:28:09 am »
Hi, Alicia,

Congratulations on your decision and best wishes on your surgery!

I heartily endorse your "vacation with surgery" concept! I did the very same thing when I went out to House for my translab in January 2008. My only symptom had been hearing loss, so I was feeling wonderful and looking forward to several days of fun in L.A. prior to my surgery. My husband and I arrived in L.A. the Saturday before my Wednesday surgery and packed in lots of activities -- it was a wonderful distraction from the upcoming surgery. I had booked reservations for the Jeopardy teen-tournament finals taping six days after my surgery -- I was tired, but we made it. We did additional touring around following surgery, albeit at a slower pace than before, but still had a wonderful time. Returned home to N.J. ten days after surgery, tired but relieved and full of good memories from the entire House experience and the good time in L.A.

Hope that all goes well with you.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 06:45:00 am »
What GREAT friends - going with you and then taking the kids home.  Sounds like they will be in GREAT hands!!  We'll be keeping you & your in our prayers!

K

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Lilan

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:51:22 am »
Alicia, congrats on your decision and date! We'll just miss each other at House/Seton. I hope we all have as successful a vacation/surgery experience as JerseyGirl!  :D
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 11:29:36 am »
Good luck, Alicia  ;D  I'm sure things will turn out well for you.

You should take David up on his suggestion of connecting with the "LA Gang".  They've met lots of HEI patients and are kind of like AN ambassadors; they do a great job.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2009, 11:57:31 am »
Alicia,

A girl after my own heart - get that beach vacation in there any way you can!   :D

Good luck, have a safe trip, say hi to Mickey and Minnie if you go to Disney - and in case you've never been swimming in the Pacific - it's COLD!   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 12:39:06 pm »
Alicia,
Ditto on everything. Try and have LOTS of fun before your surgery, which I'm sure you will.
You will be in good hands there.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 04:31:18 pm »
I can't wait to lay out on the beach with hair I haven't washed in a week.  I have a feeling I really won't care! 
I already feel sorry for the person next to me on the plane ride home!  We'll see if the hubby has enough upgrades to get me into first class!!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

cindyj

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »
So glad you've got things worked out and settled!  Now you can "relax" or try to til time to go.

Give Nancy and David a big hug for me!

(You should be able to wash your hair before you get on that plane...have to watch the incision, but it can be done!)

Cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2009, 06:51:07 am »
Hi Alicia,

You have such a positive outlook on the whole ordeal, which goes a long way to helping with recovery!  We'll be saying a prayer for you during your "vacation" :).

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.