Author Topic: My Beach Vacation  (Read 15914 times)

alicia

• it is well
Re: My Beach Vacation
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 07:59:54 am »
I am curious to know what you guys know about the amount of surgery a "fellow" performs at House?  I realize they have to have practice and it is the end of the year for them, but I would not trade my local surgeon for a learning surgeon.  Please offer info!
02/16/18 III to IV post GK Facial Paralysis
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz
04/02/09 Diagnosed Left AN 3.2cm x 2.6cm x 2.7cm

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 08:05:14 am »
I am curious to know what you guys know about the amount of surgery a "fellow" performs at House?  I realize they have to have practice and it is the end of the year for them, but I would not trade my local surgeon for a learning surgeon.  Please offer info!

Alicia,
I specifically asked Dr. Brackmann about this ahead of time. He told me that the person helped to close.  I had the same concern and ferreted this out ahead of time. 

I enjoyed driving up (Okay, I was the passenger) the Pacific Highway 1 along the coast about a week afterword and remember finding  a mesmerizing calmness from the water.

All the best,
Kate
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:46:00 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Cheryl R

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 08:19:51 am »
A Fellow is a little more than   a learning surgeon.     The residents are more that.      They have 5 years of being a resident and then the Fellow is 2 years beyond the resident.       The Fellow does the open and shut in most cases at Univ of Iowa and Gantz does the tumor.                 I have now been thru several Fellows and all have been very good and very interested in making sure you get your questions answered.                      Ravi Samy was one who is now at Cincinnati and another was Pamela Roehm who is at NYU.      Sam Guebbel is at Univ of Wisc.             
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

lori67

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 09:12:11 am »
Well, you can look at it a few ways - all positive, if you ask me...the Fellow has probably had his nose in the book more recently than the doctor that's been doing this a long time - meaning it's fresh in his mind.  Also, the Fellow won't be doing anything without someone watching over his shoulder - so you have 2 sets of eyes on your brain, rather than just one. 

I'm sure you'll be in good hands.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 10:13:02 am »
Alicia,

A Fellow -- Dr. Wilkinson -- assisted Dr. House with my translab at House/St. Vincent's in January 2008. He's now a regular staff member. He strictly watched and may have done the abdominal incision. Trust me, you will be in excellent hands at House.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

NL

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 12:31:19 pm »
Hi Alicia,

I had Dr. Bessim, a fellow, assist Dr. Friedman and Dr. Schwartz in the "closing" - and he did a beautiful job. (I can send you a pic of his work if you want. ;)) He also came to check up on me every day in the hospital, in addition to my other doctors. (Most of my questions pre-op were in regards to the closing procedure, since I had a retro approach and was concerned with post-op headaches - and they have not been a problem.)

One of the things that made me feel so confident with my surgeons was the way they responded to all my "last minute" questions, like yours, in the weeks leading up to my surgery. Every time I emailed them a new set of questions (and I had a lot!), they responded either with a phone call or an email within a day.

Please don't hesitate to ask Dr. Friedman (or Dr. Schwartz) about this - he/they will take the time to address this and any other concerns you may have, and will set your mind at ease.

As Catherine and others have said, you will be in excellent hands at House.

All the best,

Nancy

P.S. - Glad to see you'll be making the most out of your trip out west. I think you'll end up with more memories of the vacation than the surgery.  ;D

1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 02:03:12 pm »
Ok...I think you are all right and I am ready to put all these questions to rest. 

Let's talk about things to do.  I have 3 days.  One will be in San Diego at Sea World.  My kids are not real "ride" fanatics, so I am not sure Disney ranks high on the list.  What about Universal Studios.  Was there when I was a kid, but no memories other than Jaws being pretty cool.  Of course beach time is a must - we are very much lake people, but being from the midwest, the ocean is a whole new experience for my kids.  My son would think the world of me if I could get him into Pet Star or American Gladiators!  TV taping is really not happening this time of year from what I can tell.  I can do w/o Wheel of Fortune! 

What else?
12/13/17 Gamma Knife
05/19/09 Translab Larger than expected - Drs used the word "tangerine"   House - Friedman and Schwartz

Migoi

• Loving life as a hill dweller.
    • Migoi's Mumblings
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 02:11:14 pm »
Alicia, if you all are very used to lakes..please, please be very careful at the beach. Moving water has a LOT more power than most people realize.

Have fun...

..take care... tim b
Arkansas Support Group Leader
The wild places are where we began. When they are gone, so are we. - D.B.
AN's only affect the smartest, most interesting people in a population.
On a hill in Onda, AR
http://www.facebook.com/migoi

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2009, 03:24:17 pm »
Alicia,

All your ideas sound great. If you're in San Diego you might want to see the zoo as well. We did things that would probably be less exciting for your kids -- Paul Getty museum, college campus tours (UCLA, etc.), Reagan Museum in Simi Valley (no political endorsement intended whatsoever, but I had remembered seeing that place when Reagan's funeral was televised and thinking it was absolutely gorgeous -- which it is -- and we were also interested in going aboard the Air Force One that's located there in an amazing pavillion area), driving/walking around Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and all the other little "neighborhoods." L.A. is an interesting place and I hope you and your family will have a good visit!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Keri

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 03:27:44 pm »
Looks like you've answered your question and filled up your 3 days! Sea World should be a lot of fun. It's so great that you're building your trip into a family experience with lots of good memories and all that; I think that will be good for you and your kids. By the time you have your surgery you may be craving the 'rest' (looking on the bright side).
Best wishes to you.
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2009, 03:40:59 pm »
If you are going toward San Diego, take the drive to Coronado Island. 

How old are your kids?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:45:13 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2009, 04:13:04 pm »
Alicia -

definitely try to make it to the San Diego zoo, it's fabulous.  Coronado Island is absolutely beautiful.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Adrienne

• I'm a postie now, and it feels so much better!
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2009, 04:47:23 pm »
Alicia,

We just did the whole southern Cali trip in late Feb. (actually, we left 3 days after finding out about the AN.  Obviously it was a pre-planned trip, but in the end the timing was GREAT to get our minds off of it for a bit and have fun).  We did Disney for 3 days, San Diego zoo, Universal, and Seaworld.  Our kids are 5 and 9.  They loved everything, but probably their least favorite was the zoo.  Not because it wasn't fun or interesting, but because it is kind of 'slow moving' after having done the active things every other day.  Universal was a huge surprise b/c we thought they would be bored after finding out there aren't many rides and our youngest wasn't big enough for a lot of them.  Turn out they thought it was totally interesting and loved it!  There is a train 'tour' (free with admission) that takes you through some sets and explains lots of stuff and even though the kids had no idea about any of the shows/movies ("mom, who's Jaws?" LOL) they still were fascinated with learning about the behind the scenes 'tricks'.  Highly recommend that tour if you go there (bit of a line up for it though... :-( )

I don't think you can go wrong.  We had a fabulous time doing everything and wished we had more time there after 8 days.  Next time 2 weeks!  I'm sure you'll have no problem keeping them entertained no matter what you end up doing. 

Enjoy the time together!  Best wishes for your surgery.

Adrienne
3.0 x 3.0 x 2.5 cm AN, left side.  Diagnosed Feb. 19th,2009
Retro Sig surgery with Dr. Akagami and Dr. Westerberg on May 26/09 at Vancouver General Hospital
SUCCESS! Completely removed tumor, preserved facial nerve, and retained a lot of hearing. Colour me HAPPY!

alicia

• it is well
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 02:20:14 pm »
I am still very excited about the fun times in LA, but I have major butterflies in my stomach yesterday and today.  The trip really poses no concerns.  I travel quite a bit and don't give that a second thought.

I think I have tried to accept everything and just hope for the best, but the fear has set in again.  I am scared of all the complications again.  I thought I had put that behind me.  I know I can't go into surgery with a bunch of stress so I am hoping this emotional setback is only temporary!
12/13/17 Gamma Knife

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 02:57:17 pm »
Hi, Alicia,

It's certainly normal to be experiencing some fear as your surgery date approaches. I'm betting that when you start with your pre-op process -- meeting the doctors, having the tests, etc. -- you will begin to feel much calmer. I know that a real sense of peace and calm came to me at that point; I was totally convinced that I was dealing with people who definitely knew what they were doing. You are going to be in excellent hands at House -- and even though these procedures are quite routine for all of them I think you will be impressed with the compassion and understanding you encounter. And you can rest assured that everyone on this Forum will be cheering you on from around the country!

Concentrate on the fun you're going to have with your family; everything else will fall into place at the right time, and before you know it your surgery will be over and you can look ahead to a positive future!

Best wishes!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ