Author Topic: My Surgery updates  (Read 20002 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: My Surgery updates
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 01:00:54 pm »
Hi Mom Rhona and Laura!

thank you SO very much for these updates. Another one here that Laura met at the Boston brunch before the marathon. If she can conquer Heartbreak Hill during the marathon, then sending wishes that this is a skip in the park! Thank you for the updates... will check in later for updates.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 01:55:45 pm »
Laura/Rhona ~

I visited the linked website ('thestatus.com'), signed the guestbook and left a brief message.  Great idea!  Laura should be out of surgery by now and on her way home by Thursday.  Good job!

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

allegro17

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 02:26:58 pm »
I got a phone call about 20 minutes ago -- they are inside her head and everything is stable so far.  :-)  I think we still have about 2 hours to go. 

Thanks for all the wonderful messages!  I know how important it was to meet many of you last weekend in Boston -- the whole weekend and the great race she had were wonderful boosts for her.   

I will keep you all posted, and thanks again for all the good energy you are sending.

Rhona

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 02:31:21 pm »
thanks for the update Rhona!  I also visited Laura's site for updates and yeah, I may have left a message there as well! :)

Please remember to take care of yourself as well. Pls try to get a little something to eat or maybe a short stroll or such.  You are just as important and we want you well, too!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 02:32:14 pm »
Rhona,
I was one, and the most recent post-op (11 days at the time), who met Laura at the brunch.  She is a beautiful, young woman, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to get to know her.  You must be a very proud mom.  We'll all be here to help you get her through this and on with her future.  Call on us whenever you feel the need.
My heart is pounding right now for her and for you.
Be strong.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

allegro17

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 03:36:36 pm »
 I am heading over to the hospital now -- just got the call for a 3:30 meeting with the doctor.   They are almost done :-))))))))) and the word is it is a benign acoustic neuroma, and everything is going well.

You all bring me to tears.   Thanks.   

Rhona

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 03:53:47 pm »
Rhona -

glad to hear Laura's surgery is almost over  ;D

I'll have to check out status.com a little later and leave a message there.

Our prayers are with Laura.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2009, 03:59:56 pm »
Echoing everyone else here - sending prayers and good wishes to you.  Sounds like the early report is positive - now the healing can begin ...

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Helga

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 04:48:15 pm »
Just want to add my wishes for a great outcome and speedy recovery, also met Laura at the brunch, and SBI is my primary choice, too. I have been thinking about Laura all day and will be checking in with the upate site. Hard to type with my fingers crossed.
Lots of love to you, Helga

allegro17

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 04:58:23 pm »
ALL DONE and laura is in recovery.  I met with dr. shahanian (forgive my spelling i am too relieved to care) and everything went very well.   the tumor is gone and the facial nerve responded well, so weare all hoping for a totally good outcome.  i can go back to see her at 5, when she will be in intensive care!   oh my, it has been a long day -- thank you all for holding our hands from everywhere you are.   I will post later when i get back from the hospital.   

i just want to see her smile.......

rhona

Lilan

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2009, 05:35:48 pm »
Bravo!  :D
Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »
Yea!  I'm SO happy for Laura!  I'm sure that it's been a hard day for you..  This is definitely the hardest part for the family/friends.  Tell Laura welcome to Postieland!  Thanks for the updates!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

texsooner

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2009, 06:16:27 pm »
Thanks Rhona for the outstanding news...I know it's a big relief to know Laura made it through in great shape.

Tell Laura we'll give her a few weeks before we expect to hear about her running exploits again. 

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »
our Laura is now a Postie! (post treatment!).  Rhona, thank you SO very much for these updates and I know you can feel the energy from us all.  That is what makes this place so very special. Please get some rest... give Laura our congrats... and truly... thank  you!

healing hugglez to Laura!  wishes for a speedy recovery!

Phyl

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:38 pm »
Rhona,
Please tell Laura that if she gets the euphoria that overwhelmed me (No, Steve, it's not just the steroids!) when I realized I had survived brain surgery, just go with it.  It's a high like no other.  Let us know when we can see her smile, too, and where (this site or the other).
Ask about any post-op concerns as they may arise.
We're here for you.
Congratulations!
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness