Author Topic: My Surgery updates  (Read 20001 times)

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
Re: My Surgery updates
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2009, 08:43:41 pm »
Hi Rhona!

I'm here to add my congrats for Laura!  You will find that you both need a bit of rest now for a couple of days :).  I will say a prayer for her recovery.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

allegro17

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:17 pm »
We saw Laura for just a little while tonight when she was in intensive care.  She's looking a bit on the pale side, is very dizzy, and not feeling well at all.  Nothing we didn't expect.  The doctor ran down the whole list of normal post op conditions.  She's getting antibiotics and steroids and fluids.  All her vital signs look good, and she doesn't show any signs of damage to the facial nerve.   It feels like a miracle to me, and I hope she gets the I survived brain surgery in Postieland; and that she doesn't run her next marathon too soon! 

It has been a very long day, and I do think we all need some good rest, or a week in Aruba. 

Thank you all again -- I don't think I will be able to get back to you until we see her tomorrow morning.   You are all a gift.

Rhona

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2009, 04:36:46 am »
Please tell Laura that I send my best and warmest wishes for her recovery.  As her mom you are no doubt in "pain" as well.  I have  a saying..."we are only as happy as our least happy kid".   Everyone hang in there, the worst is over, the best is yet to come.
Best,
Marci from Ohio
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2009, 04:44:03 am »
You are all a gift.

Naw . . . this is easy for us (except the expectant waiting) . . . been there, done that . . . we're pros.
Ecstatic that Laura has no facial involvement.  The medications wreak havoc with all your bodily functions.  Until she's off them, and they're out of her system, she's going to have all kinds of temporary symptoms.  I was so scared to get up and sit in the chair and walk that I hesitated to do so.  That was a huge mistake.  I learned that those tasks were not at all challenging in my particular case, so if at all possible, encourage her to get out of bed as soon as the doctors will allow.  I had double vision for five days, but my worst post-op symptom was dehydration.  I was drinking everything in sight and eating ice chips and lemon ice as much as they would allow.
I can say that just shy of three weeks post-op, I'm doing everything I was doing pre-op, and I'm hoping the same for Laura.
I'm so glad we can all welcome her to Postieland.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2009, 04:46:51 am »
So true Nancy!  I remember saying something like "get out of bed as soon as you can, eat the bad food" or something like that.  Knowing that Laura is a runner, if you tell her that her first step out of bed to walk (even with a walker) is the beginning of her training to run again, she will do it.  I'm a runner as well and was extremely motivated to get out of the hospital and get on with things.
Bset,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

allegro17

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2009, 08:17:27 am »
Thanks.  I will give her all your messages when we see her this morning.   I know the doctor has plans to get her up and walking today, and she has plans to start training sooner than later.   I got her some beautiful fresh strawberries yesterday at the farmer's market here, so hopefully if she feels like eating these will give her lots of good stuff.   I am OK -- yes us moms worry but we always get done what we need to for our kids, and I am going out for a good walk for myself before today really starts.   

Thanks again from both of us, and I will be in touch later today.  No wireless, I hear, in the hospital, so I will pick up a network as soon as I can.

Rhona

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2009, 08:52:45 am »
Rhona,

thank you SO very much for the continued updates... great news and hoping Laura is in the mood to enjoy those strawberries!  If not, save some for us... :)  Don't you worry about access to the wireless. Give Laura healing hugglez please.. and keep a few for yourself as well.  She's very blessed to call you and have you as her "mom" :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

LADavid

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2009, 09:01:08 am »
Hi Rhonda -- Echoing the sentiments of everyone else -- thank you so much for the updates on Laura.  She has a great mom.  As a dad of a young daughter, I think I can appreciate what you've been going through.  Give Laura our best -- and see that she gets rest.  She has been in my prayers.

David

PS So glad the weather here in LA has been great for your visit. 8)
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2009, 09:02:42 am »
PS So glad the weather here in LA has been great for your visit. 8)

care to send it our way, David? Huh? :D

Sorry Rhona.... gotta harrass him every now and then...  :D

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

moe

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2009, 09:13:13 am »
Send Laura our best wishes for a gradual easy recovery. Walk, rest, eat & drink, sleep, Repeat CYCLE ;) She'll be running before she knows it!
Thanks for all those updates Rhona!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Keri

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2009, 10:51:38 am »
ditto ditto on all the best wishes for laura and for you as you are her support!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

allegro17

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2009, 03:10:40 pm »
We may be eating lots of strawberries, because this is the last thing on her mind.   Unofrtunaely, she is so dizzy and nauseous that she does not want tp eat or drink.  I got a little applesauce into her, and she has begun having some juice and water.   She is out of bed, but not walking much at all.   Tomorrow is still discharge day, so on all counts, the more she walks, eats, drinks, the better. 

I have relayed all your messages to her, and she says thanks! 

I'm headed back over, armed with strawberries. 

Rhona

cin605

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2009, 03:21:46 pm »
Best wishes to llaura in postie land.The first 5 days  after surgery don't count.try like hell to disregard them!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

Kaybo

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2009, 03:25:42 pm »
OH MY GOODNESS...WAS THAT A HIJACK BY PHYL????????   :o  :o  :o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2009, 03:38:46 pm »
Hi Rhona,

My husband and I also met Laura at the Brunch in Worcester. She is so nice, and obviously a tough cookie! I’m sure she will be up and around in no time! We will be keeping you both in our thoughts and prayers, and hope she feels better real soon.

Scarlett and Rich
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.