Author Topic: OK got my TransEar today...  (Read 16221 times)

Kaybo

Re: OK got my TransEar today...
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 03:49:52 pm »
Chris~
SO glad to hear that this is working out so well for you!!  Here's to a whole new world of sounds for you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 09:32:08 pm »
Chris -

it's great to hear that despite some initial problems with your TransEar, you stuck with it and your persistence paid off.

Good for you.  In my experience, better hearing is a wonderful thing.

Your post will be very valuable for those trying to decide between a TransEar and a BAHA.

Thanks for the feedback - and congratulations!!  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ChrisB

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 08:23:56 am »
Update:
It's been just shy of 4 weeks now since I got my upgraded TransEar.  I still find differences between what I can hear (or how) with the new device, vs. the original version.  And though I'm being VERY cautious in saying this - I don't want to be too disappointed if it doesn't turn out to be the case - it seems that I may actually be developing some ability to locate sounds!  I never even came close with the original device (probably more because of the problems created by the audiologist that were never fully worked out).  It happened in a class at church Sunday, in a relatively low noise situation.  I haven't been in a similar situation since then and haven't noticed localization again, but I'm cautiously optimistic that my brain may be learning the differences between the two different sounds in my right ear (TransEar sound vs. direct "real" sound), and figuring out the timing differnces, strengths of each sound, etc., to eventually give me some ability to localize sounds in a meaningful way.  With multiple sounds, it's still harder to discriminate sounds, let alone localize any of them, so I guess I'll have to start "practicing" in low-noise settings without nearby walls to bounce sound around.  ;)

Others have reported regaining some localizing ability, so I'm cautiously optimistic to see if this develops or was just a fluke situation.  I'm well aware that in a low noise situation, it will be more easy to tell what's a direct sound (i.e. coming into the good ear from that side) vs. my new, improved TransEar sound also in my good ear.  But the sensation of the speaker being behind me was what was new.  I term it a "sensation," because I'm realizing that I don't remember anymore what the experience was actually like when I could localize sounds just fine - I never consciously thought about it back then because it was just normal.  This time  I consciously noticed it, and can't explain in words what it "felt" like - it was just there.  What a nice "feeling," though.

I just thought an update might be of interest to people considering the TransEar, or some still relatively new users.  It DOES get better with time (especially with a patient, cooperative audiologist who's willing to work with Ear Technology for any questions or uncertainty about something).  I'm waiting on a slightly longer wire than the one I got with the new unit, and perhaps I'll have an even better experience once that comes in.  In any case, I'm very happy with the new version other than still working out some fitting issues.  But I'm not worried about that eventually being worked out - I'd rather go slowly with the sanding-down process than get too much taken off, after my original experience with the previous audiologist.

Chris  (In 2 weeks it will be 3 years since my sudden hearing loss - my how time flies!)

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 11:34:08 am »
Chris ~

Thanks for the update.  It's great to learn that your TransEar unit is working out for you and your hearing has been improved.  I hope your progress continues.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

ChrisB

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 08:36:49 am »
Quick update: When I got my new model TransEar three months ago, it came with a very short wire.  My audiologist noticed how high the processor was sitting behind my ear, and suggested I try the next size wire.  When it came in, I was to compare the two, and return the one I didn't want to keep.  The difference was immediate!  With either the old or new TransEar, I was never able to run the volume over dead-center "3" without lots of feedback ("4" is max for those who don't have one).  With just a small fraction of an inch longer wire, I can run it "full blast" at 4 if I want to.  There's a slight bit of distortion and perhaps a little extra noise at that level, and the difference between that and 3½ is almost negligible, so I run it at 3½ now to get great sound and not run down the battery too fast (I get between 2-2½ weeks wearing it at least 12 hours 5 days a week, plus more than half a day on Sundays).  Just a slight change in wire length has dramatically improved the performance of my TransEar.

Chris