Author Topic: OK got my TransEar today...  (Read 16222 times)

Cynaburst

Re: OK got my TransEar today...
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 09:22:41 pm »
I got my newly upgraded Transear today and what a difference.  My word discrimination is up to 90% with it, up from 70% with the original.  I have to get used to having something in my ear again so I had to take it out after a couple of hours, but I am really impressed with how much they have improved it.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 06:21:20 am »
I did a test with my TransEar -- I placed a foam earplug in my good ear. With this in the contribution of the TransEar seemed to make a difference, it really helped. With the foam earplug removed the TransEar does not seem to make any difference.

I removed the TransEar after lunch yesterday and went through the rest of the day without it. I did not miss it at all. I feel my good ear has such good hearing ability that the TransEar does not make any noticable improvement. I am not wearing it today.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

JB914

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 11:47:46 am »
Hi Neal,

I have been following your thread for a while and thanks for the input and comments.  8)

i've been SSD for about 9 years from my AN.  i've done fine,but, find it very difficult in crowded situations
and in public if someone is calling me.  i think if the TransEar would help me to localize where the voices are
coming from or other enviormental noises it would be helpful. do you think it helps with that? 

if it helps me to understand someone talking on the deaf side that's also extremely helpful.  you don't think the
TransEar helps with that?

thanks again for the updates!!!!!   ;D
11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2009, 12:42:11 pm »
Hi Neal,

I have been following your thread for a while and thanks for the input and comments.  8)

i've been SSD for about 9 years from my AN.  i've done fine,but, find it very difficult in crowded situations
and in public if someone is calling me.  i think if the TransEar would help me to localize where the voices are
coming from or other enviormental noises it would be helpful. do you think it helps with that? 

if it helps me to understand someone talking on the deaf side that's also extremely helpful.  you don't think the
TransEar helps with that?

thanks again for the updates!!!!!   ;D

For me, with the week and a half using the TransEar it did not help with directionality. Maybe if you use it for a longer time period it does help but so far that has not been my experience. As far as someone talking on the deaf side I only noticed help from the TransEar when I had the foam earplug dampining the hearing in my good ear. Without the ear-plug I do not notice any difference with the TransEar on or off.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 02:16:40 pm »
See if you can try the Baha headband for a weekor so Nea. lt is as close to natural earing as you are going to get in my opinion.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 02:49:49 pm by mikjul1 »
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 06:38:13 pm »
Mike -

Neal tried the BAHA demo and wasn't impressed with it.  That's what led him to the TransEar.

JB -

one of the BAHA processors (tiny hearing aid) called the Divino has a directional microphone built in to it.  It doesn't provide totally "normal" directionality, but it definitely helps.

Although Neal wasn't really excited about the BAHA demo, most of us were.  I've worn a Divino for almost a year now and I love it.  The BAHA isn't for everyone - but you might want to ask your doctor about it.

If you like the demo, the surgery is well worth it.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2009, 07:03:20 pm »
Thats right I forgot about that. did not look back on 1 page.   ;D

JB914

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2009, 07:59:48 pm »
Hi Jan,
i plan on trying the demo.   ;D

i would like to try the TransEar too, but, it's not covered by insurance.   
11mm AN right side surgery House Ear Clinic 12/00
W. Luxford MD / John D. Day MD
SSD right side, ringing

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 09:51:44 am »
FYI  I returned the TransEar today.  For me there is no difference with or without it.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 10:32:26 am »
Neal -

sorry to hear you didn't like the TransEar.  I've never used one, but those who do generally have great things to say about it.

Any thoughts on trying the BAHA demo again? 

Or have you decided to just keep things status quo for the time being?

Just curious,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 12:52:32 pm »
Status quo for now.

:)

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2009, 02:16:17 pm »
Neal:

I commend you for giving both the TransEar and the BAHA a fair trial.  I'm convinced that some of us simply adapt to being SSD - even with it's obvious deficits - and find these admittedly impressive hearing aid devices under-perform (to our expectations) and so, aren't worth it - to us.  Others swear by the same devices and find them invaluable.  Your experience proves that 'one size does not fit all' and, as we often caution, the use of a hearing device for SSD folks is very much an individual choice.  Thanks for providing a real-world account of your experience with the two most popular hearing aid devices for those dealing with SSD. 

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2009, 02:21:01 pm »
Sorry it did not work out for you Neal.

wendysig

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
Hi Neal,

Sorry TransEar didn't work out for you.  You do seem to have adapted pretty well to being SSD though -- if it's not a big deal to you this may be the way to go.  Debbi and I were taliking about a possible get together in June.  When we firm up a date I'll let you know.  If you'd like, you can try my BAHA then.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

ChrisB

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 02:48:58 pm »
Hi All,

It's been quite some time since I've been here, or over on the BAHA forum, and I thought an update would be good.  I lost my hearing suddenly (SSNHL) on 9 Jul 2006, was fortunate to get right in to an ENT, had an MRI, and there was nothing found on the imaging - final conclusion, probably viral.  In the nearly 3 years since then, I've moved up from 100% deaf in my left ear, to the upper profound range in a few frequency ranges (hee hee).  I finally got a Transear in Jan 07, had a number of problems with it, and almost turned it back in.  But I learned over time that the problems were mostly due to an audiologist I would never recommend to anyone else.  I later found out a friend had also been to that same audiologist - unknown to me at the time - and had a similarly bad experience with a different type of hearing aid (a standard air conduction device).  He returned his and went elsewhere.  Yes, there were a couple of broken wires and a couple of other issues with the TransEar, but I could live with them because once I pushed my audiologist to keep trying on the programming (thanks to the experiences of others here), it became apparent that I didn't want to live without it.  It never did fit properly, and also was never programmed properly, but I was still much better with, than without it.

Fast forward to late 2008.  I purchased on a MasterCard, so I had a 1-year extension on the warranty, and used that late last year when the processor quit.  Once that warranty ran out (Jan 09), I vowed never to return to that audiologist again.  I also learned my medical insurance would cover at least part of a hearing aid, so I talked with the folks at TransEar/Ear Technology, and eventually arranged to be seen by a very competent audiologist who had some experience with the TransEar.  I had the mold done a couple of weeks ago, and just got the new device last Thursday (the new 3rd generation model - I had the original model until now).  It was almost funny - it hurt immediately, and quite a lot.  The audiologist took a look and found that I had a small pimple up in my ear canal.  The old TransEar had apparently been so loose that I didn't even feel it.  I still wore it that afternoon and evening, and immediately went to a mall to "try out" the food court (lots of noise, and varying noises from all directions).  The difference was immediately obvious.  I was much more comfortable in that setting, and could discriminate sounds far better without being overwhelmed by all the background noise.  That was a huge boost for me!  I also started truly understanding things from my left ("bad") side, and for the first time in two years of having the old model that was never fit properly, I could actually "hear" the difference between what was getting to my right ear via the TransEar, and what was coming in directly to that ear.  I don't know how to describe that, but I'd NEVER experienced that before.

I called my wife as I walked along inside the mall to tell her how it was working, and as I passed by two people sitting on a bench perhaps 6 feet from me on my left ("bad") side, I realized I actually heard several words they were saying despite hearing my wife through the cell phone in my right (good) ear.  I paused and listened with them knowing what I was doing, and was actually able to understand some of the words even with my wife still talking (I didn't tell her what I was doing yet), as well as the background noise.  When I finally walked further and told her what just happened, I actually had some slight tears well up in my eyes - it was a wonderful experience, especially after having had a TransEar already for over two years.

I left it out Friday and Saturday to let my ear canal heal, and put it back in Sunday for church.  What a difference.  There is one classroom where the A/C blower is so loud, it was a major distraction for me trying to even understand the teacher or any discussion before.  Sunday, I was aware of the blower noise, but it was just sort of there - not overpowering.  I had almost no difficulty understanding.  I asked my wife if she thought the A/C blower sound had been fixed since the previous Sunday, and she said it was just as loud as it's been for two years.  I thought that was the case, but I needed to make sure, just because of the remarkable difference in my experience sitting in that classroom.

I was off work last week, and just returned yesterday.  I continue to find situation after situation in which my ability to comprehend is substantially better than before.  I need to get a small amount of sanding done at a "hot spot" that's developed, but that's no uncommon in the first few days or weeks.

The bottom line for me is that I'm truly glad I stuck with it with the TransEar, even with all the problems largely the fault of the first audiologist.  If anyone is considering a TransEar, select your audiologist WELL!  If they've never done one before, I don't know that that would deter me from using them, I'd just want to make sure they weren't so egotistical (or lazy) that they wouldn't spend whatever time it took on the phone with Ear Technology to make sure the programming was done right, and that they never put the TransEar on a big grinding wheel (only a very thin amount - about skin thickness - should be taken off at a time).  Better yet, call the TransEar folks and ask if they have a recommended referral in your area that has worked well with them already.  Just get a good audiologist!

I'll monitor this for a while in case there are any questions.  I know everyone's experience isn't the same for various reasons, but I'm 100% sold on the TransEar, and very happy I stuck with it.  I can't tell how much of the improvement is due to the new model and the differences in frequency response vs. the fact that it was fit and programmed right, but the bottom line is that I liked my original model TransEar once it got working properly, but LOVE my new one.  I'm continuing to discover more and more situations in which I find myself just feeling comfortable, when I wouldn't have enjoyed the experience only a week ago (prior to the new TransEar).  Meetings are MUCH easier.  And life just got a whole lot nicer (and my wife probably likes me more as a result  ;D).

Chris