Author Topic: OK got my TransEar today...  (Read 16202 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
OK got my TransEar today...
« on: April 25, 2009, 09:38:43 am »
and after an hour at the audiologist's office, making programming changes so it doesn't feedback, I must admit I am not impressed. If I stop up my good ear so it can't hear I can now hear through the TransEar, but with my good ear open it doesn't seem to be making a difference.  The audiologist asked me to try it for a week and see how I feel after some time and I will.  But my first impression is that I can live without this. She said it might take time for my brain to get used to it and it could help me sense sound direction. 

First impression -- I think I will be making a return next week.

:'(

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
Re: OK got my TransEar today...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:48:50 am »
Hi Neal I tried the trans ear too for a month I too was not impressed I got alot of feedback everytime I moved my head an open my jaw plus the sound quality was like being underwater. It did not change for me but it might for you. Hope it works for you Neal . Have you tried the Baha system.
:) BORN IN THE GOOD OLD USA :)
SSD on right side since 1974
BAHA surgery on 4/21/09 Dr. Carla Lawson
BP100 turn on date 8/13/09

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 09:56:15 am »
Hi Neal I tried the trans ear too for a month I too was not impressed I got alot of feedback everytime I moved my head an open my jaw plus the sound quality was like being underwater. It did not change for me but it might for you. Hope it works for you Neal . Have you tried the Baha system.

Yes, I tried the BAHA demo about 3 weeks after my surgery and while it was better than this, I was not impressed enough to want to have a post put in my head. I think I can do fine without either TransEar or BAHA.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 10:00:48 am »
Nice talken to Neal sry one did not work for you.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:15:56 am »
Hi Neal!

Can't wait to follow your impressions / experience along wth the TransEar.  Doesn't sound too hopeful as yet, but I'm glad you are giving it a little while to see if you change your mind.  I had such a time with infections (staph included) at the incision after surgery that the thought of another surgery to put in a post for the BAHA was not something I wanted to think about.  At the same time, I don't want to muck up what's left of "good" sound with a device that is supposed to help! 

Glad you're going down this road - I'm happy to benefit from your experience!!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:58:42 am »
my ent doc. said its the poor mans BAHA LOL
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 01:18:57 pm »
I had the Baha surgery and I would do it all over again for the benefit it gave me as a demo it was a pieceof cake been deaf in my ear 32 yrs so I am gald I did it.surround sound her I come  ;D

Jeanlea

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:05:03 pm »
I've had the TransEar for over two years now.  Your brain does adapt to it after awhile.  When I'm wearing it the gain is subtle.  I don't seem to notice it.  It's needed repairs for various reasons and one time I decided I just wouldn't bother with fixing it.  Well, I couldn't take not being with it.  I sent it in to be repaired.  I started with the older version and now have the newest version.  It seems to be working much better.  I've been lucky with the settings.  After my initial set up at the audiologist's office (which didn't take long) I've never needed to go back.  Nothing is going to give us our old hearing back, but I find that it helps me.  For me personallly, I didn't want to go the BAHA way with the permanent attachmenet in my head, but that's my personal idiosyncrasy.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 04:14:25 pm »
The only manner it seems to be working for me is when I plug up my good ear, then I can tell it is doing something, or if I cup my hand over it and cause it to feedback. Otherwise I can turn it on and off while wearing it (by opening and closing the battery door) and I can not hear any difference at all.  I am being very careful with it so I don't have any problem if I decide to return it next week. So far it looks as if that is what I will be doing.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

mikjul1

• Baha blog.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »
Thats right Jean nothing is ever going to be like natural hearing  :-[ . Sometime I think we or at least I forget that and try to look for that magic device.But if it works for that person thats great.  ;D That is why I went with the Baha and gave back the transear it was more of a natural hearing to me  ;D. But I am glad the transear works for you Jean .It took me awhile to research the Baha because of the implant that goes in your head so I understand somebody would be leary about it like Neal said having a post in your head the guys at work  already tell me they are going to call me plug and play  :o I thought that was funny great bunch of guys at work they are just fooling around.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:56:31 pm by mikjul1 »

Crickett

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 05:52:02 pm »
Neal, don't give up quite yet.  I wasn't impressed with the BAHA demo either.  When I got my first Transear I felt exactly like you.  I didn't feel like it helped at all after working with the audiologist reprogramming it, etc for a month.  We sent it back to Transear, and my second one I think has much better in-the-ear contact.  I plug up my good ear and I can still hear.  It's not normal hearing at all, sadly, but it's better than nothing.  I've had my new one about a week or so and it gave me a blister in my lobe so I'm not using it to let my lobe heal.  I feel my hearing is worse without it.  Work with the Transear people and your audiologist.  You may still get what you want.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 06:04:15 pm »
Wow Neal,  I'm sorry to hear you aren't impressed by the TransEar.

As I recall you weren't impressed by the BAHA either.

Perhaps you'll be one of those who just adjusts to SSD and decides to remain hearing-aid free.  Lots on the forum have made this choice and it seems to work fine for them.

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 06:11:14 pm »
Wow Neal,  I'm sorry to hear you aren't impressed by the TransEar.

As I recall you weren't impressed by the BAHA either.

Perhaps you'll be one of those who just adjusts to SSD and decides to remain hearing-aid free.  Lots on the forum have made this choice and it seems to work fine for them.

Good luck,

Jan
Jan,

I am still trying the TransEar but SSD and hearing-aid free may just be what is right for me. Thanks for the good wishes.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 06:51:41 pm »
Giving the TransEar some time is definitely a good idea.

But whatever your decision turns out to be, ultimately it should be what is best and right for you.

As you know, everyone here is different  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 08:28:23 pm »
Neal,

I have a BAHA and I was just discussing with my audiologist that I didn't truly appreciate the benefit of it until I'd had it for almost a year.  I knew I liked it and that it helped, but it seems to take a while for your brain to adjust and get used to filtering out the noise you don't need to hear.  After that point,  I really appreciated the difference the BAHA makes.

I realize there's probably a time period involved in returning your transear, but if possible, I'd give it a little while to see if it gets better for you, like my BAHA did for me.  Your poor good ear and brain have had a lot of adjusting to do lately, so I think this is another instance where patience helps!  ( Are we all getting tired of being patient yet?   :D)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.