Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17590 times)

BarbaraS

Laura surgery update
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:42:27 pm »
Hi everyone -

Laura (Magin) had her surgery today - and I just got the update that it went well, and that she is now in recovery.  The surgery took about 9 hours (she went in at 11am EDT and was out around 8pm.)  Laura's boyfriend is at the hospital with her and is graciously giving me updates via phone.  It's hard for me to be so far away from her (I'm in NY and she's in AZ). I know this is a very knowledgeable group, so I will provide as many details as possible.  I am still learning about AN, so any insight or comments on Laura's s condition, surgery, and recovery process would be greatly appreciated.

Apparently, they were not able to remove all of the tumor, as a small part of it was too close to a major blood vessel (and would have caused permanent facial paralysis).  She will need to undergo radiation in a few months to shrink the remaining piece of the tumor.  The doctors indicated that she will have temporary facial paralysis for a week or two, but that she should regain all feeling/movement.

When I spoke with Laura this morning, she was in very good spirits, and I know that was due in large part to the support she has from all of the wonderful people on this forum.  I am so grateful to all of you for sharing your knowledge, experiences, and support.

I will post another update tomorrow evening.

Best,
Barbara

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:45:29 pm »
Barbara -

thanks for the very fast - and very detailed - update.  It was great that you agreed to be Laura's scribe.

I'm glad to hear that Laura is doing well.  The idea of leaving a little bit of the tumor that will need radiation is a good one; good call on the part of her docs.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's update.

When you get a chance to talk to Laura, please send her our best. 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Lilan

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:15 pm »
That sounds great to me. Philosophically, not that the neurosurgeons/neuro-ots are asking me  ;) for my amateur opinion, I agree with the more conservative approach in favor of nerve preservation. So this sounds like a wise strategy and a successful outcome to me.

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:41 pm »
Barbara,

Thanks so much for updating us.  I've been thinking of Laura all day and hoping to hear some good news.  I'm glad it went well.

I had the opportunity to speak to Laura on the phone a few weeks ago and she is such a sweetie!  We seem to have a lot in common - I used to live in Upstate NY too!

Tell her I said "way to go" when you talk to her!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:54:33 pm »
Hi Barbara, and thanks for updating us on Laura's surgery!

Since you asked for some insight  ;), it sounds like the surgeon encountered a very sticky part of the tumor attached to the facial nerve.  You mentioned a blood vessel as well.  I'm wondering if it was the one that fed the facial nerve?  That would make sense then, to leave part of the tumor behind and use radiation to kill it.  Good surgeons know when to stop tugging at the tumor in order to save the more important nerves.  Sounds like she had a good surgeon!

I look forward to your future updates, and eventually to Laura's first self post as a postie :)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:55:17 pm »
Glad to hear that Laura's surgery is over and she is moving on to the next phase.  I too am in favor of nerve preservation.  My surgeons also left a tiny bit on the facial nerve that they couldn't get "un-stuck" but I don't think it is enough to radiate.  Laura will be in our prayers as she recovers.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

vossman

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:58:17 pm »
Barbara,

Thanks for the update.  Glad to hear that Laura is out of surgery and now her recovery can begin.  Sending prayers her way for a speedy and complete recovery.  Thanks for the update we look forward to hearing more soon.

Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »
Yippee!  I've been PMing Laura a lot in recent weeks as I wanted to get the Magic Scarf to her very soon after my procedure.  I know she was nervous and must be extremely relieved to have the surgery behind her as am I.  Give her my love as well.  The journal will be on its way after the NE Brunch on Sunday for her entry.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

teffaz

• We read to know we're not alone.
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 10:50:03 pm »
Barbara,
I've been thinking about Laura all day. Whew! I'm so glad that you took the time to post tonight. Thank you so much!!

What a blessing that she is doing well. She had a large tumor, so I'm not surprised that a bit was left.

I am very fortunate to be able to see Laura at the hospital later this week (if all goes as planned).

The people at Barrow Neurological Institute have a fabulous reputation for being tops in their field; she is in good hands, Barbara.

Best,
Brenda

1.5 cm. x .5 cm AN
translab May 2009
SSD (before surgery as well as after)
grateful for incredible surgeons: Dr. Porter & Dr. Syms
Barrow Neurological Institute; Phoenix

sgerrard

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:47:09 pm »
Barbara, thanks for the update on Laura.

Radiation for the remaining bit will not be a big deal; it is almost like an outpatient procedure compared to AN surgery. As Brenda said, BNI is well known and very good - for both surgery and radiation treatment.

More best wishes for Laura as she recovers, and for you a welcome to the forum. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:16:43 am »
Thanks so much, Barbara! We do always appreciate updates about our people - glad to hear she's in good spirits and doing ok. 

Give her our best,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:29:42 am »
Thanks Barbara and give Laura a gentle hug from all of us here.
AWESOME  outcome, given the size of the tumor. That was huge :o
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

wcrimi

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 08:46:20 am »
I am sure the surgeons made the right choice.  Thanks for the update. Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

LADavid

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 10:06:20 am »
Thank you, Barbara for the update on Laura.  Great to hear that she is doing well.  As far as the Dr's leaving a part of the AN to be zapped with radiology later, several people on the Forum have gone that route and have done well. Give Laura our best.
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 04:31:18 pm »
Hi, Barbara ~

Thanks for the update on Laura.  I had surgery, then radiation and it worked out just fine.  I'm confident it will for Laura, too.  Give her our best and let her know she is being prayed for and thought of.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.