Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17593 times)

lauralynn

Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #120 on: May 22, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »
I went to see my neurologist this past Monday and he said I shouldn't return to work til mid july.  He also referred me to see an eye dr since my left eye was really irritated.  When I was released from rehab they neglected to give me eye oinment and they neglected to tell me to tape ny eye shut during the day.  When I was released from rehab  my eye was fine but last week it started to get irritated and infected.  The eye dr wanted to sew my eye shut(which I refused!) until I have an outpatient procedure done on my eye to have a gold weight put in my left upper eyelid so my eye will blink on its own.    Has anyone else had to have that done?  My balance is doing much better, but my energy level is still super low.  i have to have an MRI and Ct scan next Wednesday and June 4th I start radiation ( I will have 3 sessions) .
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

moe

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:53 am »
Laura,
So sorry to hear about your eye complications.
I assume your facial nerve is still intact?

I had to have my eye stitched half way shut (lateral tarsorrhaphy) after surgery for 5 months to protect the cornea. I was mortified, I thought "how barbaric!" (Kaybo had to have hers totally sewn shut, and Nancy/Lori have had it done too).
Then they put in the weight which feels heavy and burdensome to me but at least my eye is open.

Of course every doctor is different in their opinion, but you don't want to mess with the cornea.
If you get corneal ulcerations or severe irritations, it may  compromise the whole eye. That was stressed to me over and over.

Some docs want to be safer than sorry later.

But it is your face. I know the horrible feeling of even talking about it.
Maybe the surgeon can just put a few stitches into the corner of the eye, like Lori, and you can lube up the eye 24/7.

I'm also sorry to hear that the rehab did not advise about the eye ointment. Actually that should have been done by the hospital doctors. Very bad :(
Very important detail!!
Anyway, keep it lubed up -my vision is a little blurred on the left but I do fine compensating with my right eye. I just don't want to deal with complications that can arise.

Feel free to PM me.
Maureen :-\
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2009, 10:13:11 am »
Hi Laura,

Have a look at the Eye Issues section of the forum: http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0

There are lots of posts about eye stitching, eye taping, eye weights, and eye drops. You are not alone!

There is even such a thing as an external eye weight, which is taped onto the eyelid. This is an alternative to the installed kind that might work for you and is less invasive.

Keep your eye moist and hang in there. I think the radiation will be easy going for you, and I hope you get past the fatigue soon and start feeling better.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.