Author Topic: Laura surgery update  (Read 17594 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: Laura surgery update
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 05:21:10 pm »
Woo woo!  Glad it's over and she's doing well.  Give her our best.. Thanks for the detailed update!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

BarbaraS

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 08:55:18 pm »
Hello everyone -

I am thrilled that I got to speak with Laura tonight for the first time since her surgery!  She is doing well and is hoping to be out of the ICU on Saturday.  I shared your comments with her and she thanks everyone for the well wishes and prayers - and can't wait to get back online and talk with all of you herself.  Here are some updates on her progress as of today (April 16):

- Her spinal drain looks good.
 - The doctors said the tumor was larger than 4cm - bigger than what they usually see.  She should able to start radiation in about a month.
 - She is in a lot less pain today than yesterday and has needed fewer pain meds.  She also did not feel as tired or drugged up.
 - She has not been nauseated much (only a couple of times) and was able to eat solid food today.
 - She is having a lot of numbness on the left side of her face, but it's a little better today than yesterday. The docs told her that if there is no improvement in her facial nerve in 6-8 months, they will take a nerve from her tongue to try to improve it.
 - She has double vision, but that is also a little better today.
 - She feels slow and uncoordinated, but thinks it's probably from the pain meds.
 - The docs did not implant the BAHA as originally planned. The reason they gave her was that the BAHA was not in the OR, which she took to mean that the BAHA was not physically in the OR or that it had been ordered and hadn't arrived(?) - she's not quite sure.  They told her that they would do it in 3 months or so.  She is a little disappointed, but not too much, given how well everything else has been going.
 - She has not gotten out of bed yet, but is hoping to give it a try tomorrow!

On a personal note, thanks so much to all of you for sharing your insights - it made me feel much better knowing that she was in such good hands and that what she went through in her surgery was not out of the ordinary.  Brenda - if you do get to see Laura this week, please give her a hug for me!

I will speak to Laura again tomorrow and will post another update tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Barbara

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 10:05:28 pm »
Barbara -

thanks for the update on Laura.  I found that I made definite progress each day post op and it sounds like she is doing the same.  Yea!!

I'm a little confused by the spinal drain, but maybe Laura has one of those docs who put one in as a precaution(?)

I'm sorry to hear the BAHA wasn't available for implanting, but I had mine done after my AN surgery and it wasn't a problem at all.  Once her head is healed enough - generally 3 or 4 months from now - she can schedule that surgery.  It's very simple and painless - absolutely nothing like AN surgery.

Jan 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

cindyj

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 05:25:14 am »
Glad to hear she's coming along nicely...thanks, Barbara.  Yes, being able to get off the pain meds is a great step toward feeling better - good sign that the pain is easing and it helps to lift that drugged fog and nausea(for me, anyway). 

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 02:02:27 pm »
I'm happy to hear Laura is going well and feeling a little better.  Hopefully each day will get better and better for her.

Tell her we're all thinking about her and patiently waiting til she's back posting!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Seal

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:17:22 pm »
Please tell Laura that we are all thrilled that everything went well!     As Steve always reminds us, "the first three days don't count".      So tell her to hang in there and things will rapidly improve, especailly now that a 4cm tumor is GONE!     Great job!
Diagnosed 1/14/09 - 2.4cm AN right side --- about 70% cycstic
Retrosigmoid wiih McKenna & Barker - total removal successful on April 13th. 
Issues: balance, facial & mouth numbness, hearing loss right side
Results:   numbness gone, balance is good, SSD right side. Great results.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 02:30:37 pm »
Glad she's doing well.  I remember feeling slow and uncoordinated for several days (see my update thread because Jenni even expressed the concern here).  That will pass with time.  Also, the facial problems could go away with time also.  Heck, I'm about a year out and I'm still getting improvement.. that part just takes a LONG time to get better.  Don't let her get discouraged.  I really had no inkling to do anything for several weeks, so that's not uncommon (at least to me).  Bummer about the BAHA, but it's probably for the best anyhow to do it later.

Keep the updates coming!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 02:52:52 pm »
Barbara ~

Your comprehensive updates on our mutual friend, Laura, are well done and much appreciated.  I agree with the consensus here that Laura is progressing normally, following her AN surgery.  That the BAHA base wasn't implanted is too bad but hardly a big problem.  Having it done in conjunction with the AN surgery is more of a convenience than anything else.  Laura has our hopes and prayers, as always.  I trust she'll continue to improve each day and will be ambulatory by the week-end.  Looking forward to your next informational update post.  Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to do this for Laura.  Your dedication is admirable.  We should all have friends like you.  :)

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

BarbaraS

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 09:41:49 pm »
Hi everyone -

Great news - I just spoke with Laura and she was moved out of ICU a couple of hours ago.  They removed the spinal drain before she left ICU, of course (and I checked with her - her docs had done it as a precaution since the tumor was so large). She has been having minor improvements in all areas today: less pain (only needed meds twice today), very little nausea, and her facial numbness is slightly better.  She is still experiencing double vision, and the doctors are having her wear an eye patch and alternating it from eye to eye every two hours.

Her blood sugar is still up from the steroids they gave her to reduce the post-op swelling, so they have been giving her insulin, but she thinks she may be able to go off it soon.

She said she expects to know a lot more tomorrow after she's had a chance to get some updates from her doctor.  She remains in good spirits, but she seemed quieter and a little more tired tonight (although it could just be because I was chattering away and she couldn't get a word in edgewise!) :)

As always, thanks to all for the kind words and support!

Have a good night!
Barbara

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:26 pm »
Sounds great Barbara!  Glad to see Laura escape from ICU.  Before you know it, she'll be on her way home!

I had the double vision the day and night of my surgery, but it was gone by the following day.  Seems to be a common issue after surgery, but usually doesn't last too long.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Keri

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:30 pm »
Thank you for updating.
Please tell Laura that so many are praying for her and thinking of her!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

sgerrard

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 11:38:13 pm »
Since she just had brain surgery, she is entitled to be quieter and little more tired if she feels like it.  :)

It sounds pretty normal to me, the first three days don't count anyway. For a tumor that large, she is doing great. Thanks for the update.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

lori67

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 08:49:48 am »
She may be quieter and more sleepy today because all of know you can't get any sleep at all in the ICU - and as soon as you do doze off - you get stuck with something, or asked what day it is.  Maybe she's taking advantage of the less frequent interruptions in a regular room to catch up on a few days worth of sleep!

Sounds like she's headed in the right direction and hopefully will be home and resting in her own bed very soon!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 12:19:30 pm »
Barbara ~

Thanks, again, for the timely and informative update on Laura.  I'm so glad to learn that she was released from the Intensive Care Unit, which can be a tough place to get some rest. 

Perhaps Laura is just taking advantage of the more serene atmosphere in a semi-private room to rest and relax, which is all good.  From your account, it appears as if Laura will have a good recovery.

Once again, Barbara, you have our appreciation for your efforts.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

tenai98

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 12:22:28 pm »
AWESOME
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm