Author Topic: After surgery, at the hospital, I wish I had brought ........................  (Read 7973 times)

WetEver

As a newbie, I'm not sure if this subject has been previously discussed, but it probably will bring up some new ideas that will help me and others when it's time to pack for the journey.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
W.E. -

I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses to this post, but here's a link (that also has some other links in it) to get things started

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6939.0

Good luck,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
My response is in the thread that Jan conveniently linked - and in others that covered the same subject - but I'll repeat it here: don't over-pack because you won't really need much.  This applies to women as well as men.  Really.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
My response is in the thread that Jan conveniently linked - and in others that covered the same subject - but I'll repeat it here: don't over-pack because you won't really need much.  This applies to women as well as men.  Really.

Jim

Jim is SO right - women leave your makeup and hair styling stuff at home  :D

Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

CHAPSTICK!!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

Yes, Chapstick!  That's really all I took w/ me and I used it a lot!  I never came out of the hospital gown, never put on makeup, used their tooth brush, etc.  As soon as I felt well enough to put on clothes, I was out of there!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

calimama

Another vote for chapstick! I don't know why... but i could not have lived without it (and would have never thought of it... but did read it here and so glad i did).

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

sgerrard

I haven't had surgery, so I will go out on a limb and suggest chapstick. Apparently it is the only thing you need.  ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Kim Zingale

• My AN Blog
The main things I used at the hospital that I brought were pajama pants and a t-shirt, slippers, hand lotion, face wipes, and my iPhone. I don't think I used the lip balm...guess I'm the odd one out :)
Retrosigmoid surgery Feb. 9, 2009 at Johns Hopkins with Drs. Tamargo and Carey.
http://adventureswithmanny.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Face wipes definitely, chapstick for sure, my own pj's (but the kind you don't have to pull over your head!) and that's about it.  I packed a lot more than I used but it was my way of taking control.  And my iphone came in handy!
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Lilan

Love the inside information.  :)  Any additional tips or lists from anyone who traveled for surgery?

Facial nerve hemangioma. Probable dx 7/2008 confirmed 4/2009. Combo middle fossa and translab to remove the blood vessel malformation and snip ruined hearing and balance nerves by Drs. House and Brackmann @ House 6/2009. Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
I haven't had surgery, so I will go out on a limb and suggest chapstick.

And people think Lori and I are the smart-a**es of the forum!  :D

I never read the link I attached in my first post, so if this is a repeat, please excuse me.

I didn't get out of the hospital-issued gown - you know that lovely one with the open backside  ;D - so my suggestion is a robe to cover you up when you are walking the hall.

Don't want to give the nurses a "free show"  :D

Jan

cindyj

Ah yes, Jan, you're right!  I forgot about the need for a robe :o  That is strongly suggested!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

CROOKEDSMILE

Sea Breeze Toner with cotton balls because you won't be at the sink bending over washing your face like at home. Extra warm socks. I didn't know I would be in the hospital for 2 weeks due to complications so I would have taken my aromatherapy travel candles. Anything to relax me and make me feel like I was back home. Vaseline because the feeding tube rubbed my nose raw. Ear plugs so that I didn't have to listen to the crazy patient who by the way was all the way down the hall but I could still hear him. My favorite snacks..........(Had I been able to eat them that is). My iphone. And last but not least my 2 kiddos and my Mommy and Daddy. (lol)
Angie

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Well, post-op, when I started walking the halls, I wore the almost brand-new Reebok ® sneakers that I'd worn into the hospital.  Better traction.  It also felt more 'normal' to wear them.  The hospital supplied a (flimsy) robe, so that wasn't a problem.  Other than that, a few books, a toothbrush and a comb were all I really needed.  The concept of coming out of a long surgery and being able or willing to function as if you were just resting in a resort seems a tad unrealistic.  I can see wanting a cell phone, maybe an iPod, perhaps a laptop as well as a few clothing and hygiene items.  For the ladies, possibly a few other things ladies use but I still think most folks over-pack, which, by the way, isn't a crime.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.