Author Topic: After surgery, at the hospital, I wish I had brought ........................  (Read 7968 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
I took nothing and needed nothing except my cell phone but thought it would be considered too valuable.  Dave brought the laptop in daily and read to me, but seeing anything was impossible with the double vision.  If I could have, I would have smuggled in a huge bag of ice chips and snuck them whenever the nurse left.  I would have brought my own little red call button, too, because you need to ring three times before anyone shows up.  Especially the time I puked . . . don't eat the powdered eggs, but that's another story.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kathy M

• Kathy
I bought a special notebook and my family recorded things they did while they were waiting, what it was like when they got to see me, things the nurses and drs said, times / dates of medicines/ IVs, etc.  It gave them something to do, and I have enjoyed reading it, because I didn't remember much of the first few days....and reading some of it...I'm glad I don't remember!!!!  But I'm so glad to have the journal written by my family with love.

We also brought a basket of candies for the nurses station, to show our appreciation for all they did.

I bought warm slipper socks, too, and made sure they were fun and made me smile to look at them!!!

Good luck!

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Keri

i bought several pairs of flannel pj's so i could actually look forward to being in the hospital. i never wore them - kept that ugly hospital gown on (now i can't remember why.. i guess it has something to do with just not caring the first few days). i think i brought my ipod but didn't really feel like putting it in my good ear. i brought my cell ph - that was helpful, but half the time it was over on the charger and i didn't feel like getting it. i brought a bunch of books but couldn't seem to read for more than a couple of minutes.

the one helpful thing i brought - that goofy stuffed animal i'm holding in my picture. it looks like a panda bear / alligator combination (an ikea creation). i bought one for me and one for my daughter. they are named 'charlie' and 'ollie.' it was something that brought me comfort  - i could use 'ollie' as a pillow. knowing my kids had twin 'charlie' at home just made me feel better as well.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

anissa

• My Journey
Of the things I brought to the hospital I used my chapstick and my cell phone.  My hubby brought in my laptop each day.  I put on my own pajamas on the last day which helped a little.  I brought and put up an 8x10 picture of my family and had a lovey from my son and youngest daughter.    My husband brought these things when I was moved to my regular room.  It was weird walking into the hospital with nothing, not even my purse but you won't need much.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
I brought a pair of loose sweat pants for comfort, and did put those on the day after surgery when the catheter came out.  Of course, the now infamous pink laptop (netbook) was useful.  Otherwise, not much else I needed.  The socks they provided had non-slip pads on the bottom, which were very comfortable and excellent for traction.  I didn't bring my cell phone, but the wife had hers when she was visiting.  I never did use the phone though, mainly because I was home the day after surgery.  I'm sure I would have wanted to talk to family if I had stayed longer.

I agree with those that say pack light.  You will not need much of anything the first day or two, and then whatever you need can be brought by your caregiver after that.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
floss
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Floss?  You are dedicated!  I don't think I ever ate enough in the hospital to require that level of dental hygiene.

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
I'm with you Priscilla!  I don't floss on a good day - much less after major surgery.  But then again, that's just me  ::)  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

Yes, Steve, chapstick is a necessity.  Of course, I have it with me at all times normally, so it wasn't a big deal.  Other than that, I had my toothbrush, a comb, which judging from my pictures, I did not use, and socks, because those are almost as important as the chapstick.  I stayed in the hospital gown too because I figured it would be less laundry for me to worry about when I got home.  I tied it closed securely for walks, but believe me, the nurses could care less about you mooning them.  Just don't scare the visitors while you're doing it.   :o

I tend to travel pretty light for hospital trips anyway because they have everything there - soap, toothpaste, combs, etc.

I think the thing I appreciated having the most was a picture of my kids.  And fortunately, the hospital was not far from my house, so if I needed anything, my husband could have gotten it for me.

Lori

Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

amymeri

I had a very long surgery and recovery so didn't need anything social!  Here is my list
1. Chocolate for the nurses (or pizza). 
2. PJs that button up the front. 
3. Baby wipes to wipe my face and hands.
4. One of those beanbag, super squishy pillows
5. EAR PLUGS (or at least one for the good ear!)

I, personally, also found that for the first several days I really needed someone with me 24 hours.  Nurses get busy and you need someone to help you.
Amy

4 cm right AN removed restrosigmoid 4/13/06
Partial facial paralysis, SSD and trigeminal numbness for now

OTO

After surgery they tell you not to blow your nose, I always had that urge, because the stress to the facial nerve can sometimes affect the sinus on that side, I bought some of those "breathe right" strips.   That really helped. 

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Wow.  Great idea - wish I would have thought of that.

I remember that whole "don't blow your nose thing" quite well  ::)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
No one told my not to blow my nose, so of course I did, along with a host of other things that I shouldn't have done.  Came through unscathed...
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
No one told my not to blow my nose, so of course I did, along with a host of other things that I shouldn't have done.  Came through unscathed...

Seriously?  You aren't supposed to sneeze either - try that  :P 

Actually you can sneeze - you're just supposed to keep your mouth open when you do it  ::)  YUCK!

LADavid

Pizza and beer ;D.  My recovery would have been so much more productive -- and speedier.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments