Author Topic: Wendy's BAHA gotcha day  (Read 12354 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Wendy's BAHA gotcha day
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:02:00 am »
Wendy -

I am so sorry I missed your BAHA gotcha day yesterday.  I lurked very late last night/early this morning and after much searching I found your comment on this thread in AN Community http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=9112.0

IMO, this is a HUGE event and needs its own thread.  I recall like it was yesterday, my gotcha day and the fun I had posting all about it in a thread that Lori started for me.  I feel you are entitled to the same ;D  Since I'm not a moderator I can't move the one buried in the Community, so I decided to start another topic.  Yes, I have always been one to color outside of the lines  ;)

Anyway, I am so THRILLED that you love your BAHA as much as I do.  I was hoping that you'd have some wonderful BAHA moments yesterday and it sounds like you did. 

I don't know how you feel about your ability to attach the processor to the abutment right now, but I wanted to tell you, if you think you'll never be able to master that task, don't worry - you will.  Initially I thought I'd never get the hang of attaching mine, but eventually - and thankfully - I did. 

Please keep us posted on all the new BAHA moments you have during the next couple of weeks - and may your BAHA always exceed your expectations  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

Re: Wendy's BAHA gotcha day
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:21:13 am »
Wendy~
HOW EXCITING!  I am so glad that it lived up to your expectations...and maybe more??  All this talk "might" make me think of one some day, but I think it would be a HUGE adjustment for me to go back to hearing on that side after 13 (or more) years!!  We will see...

Hope today is an even better BAHA day!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:50:51 am »
Wendy,

You made it!  I'll bet you thought this day would never come!

I would be willing to bet that in a week, you'll have the whole attachment thing down to a science.  I was amazed when Jan said she could attach hers with one hand - so I had to give it a try - and I was able to do it.  It's a little tough with long hair because you have to get that out of the way too, but at least I know if my left arm stops working, I'll still be able to wear my BAHA.

I hope you're having a nice day there today and can listen to all the birds singing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:05:56 am »
So happy for you Wendy. :)
OK I admit I'm a tad bit jealous. My BAHA didn't work for me because of the shrill tinnitus. Too much interference. Plus it was placed right over a black head that kept getting infected. Go figure......
Many happy BAHA  days for you.
I say my BAHA was a BOOHOO. :-\
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

sgerrard

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 10:53:39 am »
This is interesting: a topic about Wendy's BAHA, with no post from Wendy!

As a confessed BAHA envier, I congratulate Wendy on the wonderful result she has reported, and hope that she masters the single handed attachment with a flourish. Just look in the mirror and practice saying "excuse me while I attach this device to my head" while performing the maneuver.  8)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:06:43 pm »
"excuse me while I attach this device to my head" while performing the maneuver.  8)

Steve

Or how about attaching it while in a crowded mall or other public place and saying "This is agent Wendy calling planet X, come in planet X.  Do you read me?"

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »
Hi all,

Jan - Thanks for starting this thread -- I was actually going to start one myself because I figured most people wouldn't see it in AN Community.  When I woke  up today, the battery in my BAHA was dead after only one day.  I hope that means that I didn't turn it off all the way last night and just need to be more careful, a battery a day will get expensive  I remember reading here that a battery should last about two weeks.  As for attaching BAHA, I'm not quite ready to try one handed attachment yet.  Right now, I'm using a hand mirror to look at the post and make sure all my hair is out of the way and then put it down and do a two handed attachment.  I'm impressed you can do it with one hand.  Maybe I will too someday.

With another day with BAHA under my belt, I have to say it is making a difference in my life.  I went to the mall today (another noisy situation) and  found BAHA did not work quite as well there, but I expected that.  I did notice that I can hear the radio in the car much better than I could before, and  I actually was talking to my daughter Jen (she was in the middle row of our minivan) withiout having to turn my head as much. 

Today a man walked up to me in the mall and handed me a note saying he was deaf and he wanted $4.00 for an American Flag pin.  Interesting enterprise -- I was tempted to flip up my hair and show him my BAHA, but restrained myself -- I did decline the pin though.   ;D

Lori -- You're right, I did feel like this day would never come.  When it was finally here, it was kind of emotional and weird but in a good way.  The past few days have been the hardest because, as you know, Dr. Choe gave my my BAHA kit, processor and all in the recovery room the day of my surgery.  All week I was very tempted to use it.  It was worth the wait!   ;D ;D

Kay -- BAHA has exceeded my expectations so far.   It is wonderful to hear things from my deaf side again, it will just take a little while to adjust to hearing them on the left.  I think my directionality might also be a little better but I don't expect much if any more improvement in that.   If you ever seriously consider getting BAHA, I would highly recommend it! :D

Maureen -- I'm so sorry to hear BAHA didn't work out for you.  I never considered the possibility that tinnitus would interfere with it.  The blackhead sounds like a pain in the neck (or head) too.  I hope at least that got better for you.

Steve -- As someone who also had BAHA envy for a long time, I can tell you it was worth the wait and I would do it again in a heartbeat! 

Looking back, I have to say if anyone would have ever told me that one day I would want a doctor to drill a  hole in my head and implant a post so I could wear a hearing device,I would have thought they were crazy.    I LOVE MY BAHA and as I said, would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 05:12:23 pm »
Very funny Ernie!  :D

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 05:39:08 pm »
Steve -- As someone who also had BAHA envy for a long time, I can tell you it was worth the wait and I would do it again in a heartbeat! 

Looking back, I have to say if anyone would have ever told me that one day I would want a doctor to drill a  hole in my head and implant a post so I could wear a hearing device,I would have thought they were crazy.    I LOVE MY BAHA and as I said, would do it again in a heartbeat!!

Wendy, I couldn't have said it any better myself  ;D

I forgot how wonderful it is to be able to hear a child or children seated behind you in the van.  Today I take it for granted, but that was a big issue for me pre-BAHA and I remember being so glad when it was finally solved.  Also being deaf left, my BAHA gave me back the ability to hear people at the drive-thru of the bank and at fast food restaurants without turning my entire body in the driver's seat.  Ah, it's the little things in life that can thrill you  :D

It isn't easy to attach the BAHA without experience.  Popping it off is so easy, but putting it on was a different story for me for a long, long time.   I do notice that when I pop it off, I usually grimace.  I have no idea why, because it doesn't hurt at all  :D  You ever do that, Lori?

Funny about the dead battery - you must have left it on.  In my experience batteries do last about 2 weeks.

Have you knocked the processor off your head yet?  I did that a few times the week I started wearing mine and I remember Bucko saying the same thing when he got his.  I kind of got past that stage, but have to admit I actually knocked it off just this morning   ::)  Almost stepped on it too  :P  Was thinking I never did look into that insurance that Lori was talking about and my processor is almost a year old.  Perhaps I should get moving.

If I recall, you have long hair.  Is it hard for you to attach the processor without getting your hair caught between it and the abutment?  I've been growing my hair out and while it's not tremendously long, when I attach my Divino I sometimes get some strands of hair in the way.  It actually hurts like hell if I snap it on and there is hair caught.  Ouch!

Details, details, we want details.  Please tune in tomorrow - and beyond that - and tell us what else you can hear now.

Kay - I highly recommend the BAHA demo and I know a great doc in Chicago who implants them.  You can come for a visit any time  ;D

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 05:48:34 pm »
I might have have to do that - i know that there is no one here - not even for a TransEar - well, actually, I say that about a BAHA but I guess I just checked into the TransEar...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Sefra22

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 05:58:56 pm »
I am happy for you Wendy. I should be getting my implant soon, so I hope to be able to use the processor by August. It's so nice to hear how happy you are with it. It makes me want it all the more. I never thought I be so eagerly waiting for a medical procedure!
Congratulations!
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »
I might have have to do that - i know that there is no one here - not even for a TransEar - well, actually, I say that about a BAHA but I guess I just checked into the TransEar...

Well, I definitely have a guy for you - and I'll share  :D  My neurotologist, who did both my AN and my BAHA surgeries, will be at the symposium.  I'd be very happy to introduce you  ;D

lori67

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:55:49 pm »
Jan, I can't say I've made any funny faces while snapping off my BAHA, but I can tell you it does hurt like heck to get your hair stuck in there!   :o

We took a walk down the street to the playground earlier tonight, and there's a pond that apparently has a lot of very loud bullfrogs living in it.  Tonight was the first time I noticed that I could tell what direction the sounds were coming from.  I don't know if that's a good thing - I can't tell where my kids are half the time, but I can tell you where the frogs are!

My audiologist said that I should be able to get a week or two out of a battery, but since I don't use it all the time, I get much longer than that.  I usually turn it off when I'm in the house - or when I don't feel like listening - so I'm sure that helps.  And watch the Sunday papers - I've found a few coupons for $4 off hearing aid batteries!  Whoooo-hooooo!

Wendy, while trying to reach Planet X, have your husband take off his shoe and start talking into it, Maxwell Smart style!  That should really make people wonder!!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

moe

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 11:23:01 am »
Girls,
Best of luck as you continue on your baha journeys.  :)
The doc unscrewed the abutment, but I can actually get it put back on if I ever decide to try again, so that's an option/ ( in and out surgery type deal)

We'll see what this tinnitus does through the years.
I still have the titanium implant in the skull.
So I'm still a half baha person, I guess :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kmancini

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 11:35:18 am »
I use the powerone battery.  I have gotten 3 weeks out of one battery. I take the battery out every night and put the peel sticker back on every night.  I don't know if that works out or not.  The doctor said to keep that up if it works for me.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman