Author Topic: Wendy's BAHA gotcha day  (Read 12351 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Wendy's BAHA gotcha day
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2009, 10:28:31 pm »
And if the kegerator goes, I go with it :)

Ernie

Wow, Lori!!!  How cool is that?  We get Ernie and the kegerator!  Must be our lucky day  ;)  :D

Let's just make sure the kegerator is full before it comes our way!
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 11:51:04 am »
That is a good deal.  We'll need a man to carry heavy things anyway.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »
That is a good deal.  We'll need a man to carry heavy things anyway.   :D

Lori

Sorry, My doc says no heavy lifting for a while.  Besides, we have Lori believing I'm in touch with my feminine side, and I wouldn't want to break a nail.  ;D

Hi Wendy!  Hope you're enjoying your BAHA!  ;)

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »
Good one, about the feminine side and breaking a nail, Ernie.  Welcome to the ANA Forum comedy team  ;D

Don't worry about the lifting though.  I was going to tell Lori that men carrying heavy things generally means men drinking beer, which would mean less for her and I.

Sorry to disappoint you, but I guess we'll be toting the kegerator ourselves  ;D

Hi, Wendy!  How's Florida???  Hearing any sea gulls?

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 08:44:34 pm »
Wendy,

Hope you're continuing to enjoy your new BAHA! I totally agree with Steve's suggestion that you wear your BAHA as much as possible -- when you're home alone as well as when you're out and about -- and with his and Karen's suggestion that you check out the microbattery website for the powerone batteries. I've read several sources (which seem reliable) that endorse the use of powerone batteries for BAHAs -- and the price is quite reasonable.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
Translab surgery and BAHA implant: House Ear Institute, Los Angeles, 1/2008
Drs. J. House, Schwartz, Wilkinson, and Stefan
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 09:26:57 pm »
While I think Steve's suggestion is a good one, I have never really followed it.

When I'm home alone - or even if my kids are with me - there are lots of days I don't wear my BAHA; and there are lots of situations where it's just not practical - cleaning house, mowing the lawn, shoveling snow, etc. 

In a way I think it makes me appreciate the days I do wear it even more.

It's kind of like when I watch TV without my glasses.  It makes me say "wow" when I do wear them  ;D

Jan

sgerrard

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 10:56:27 pm »
mowing the lawn

Definitely not while mowing the lawn!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 08:38:38 am »
Jan,

I agree -- I wouldn't wear my BAHA while mowing the lawn either, and if I'm wearing a hat while shoveling snow I also don't wear it! I do try to wear it as much as feasibly possible .... though I don't always practice what I preach (e.g., it's 10:30 a.m. and I've been doing stuff around the house all morning and haven't put it on yet, but I will definitely put it on before I go to the gym for my workout).

I've also mentioned on another thread that I just routinely change my BAHA battery every Saturday morning -- I realize that this isn't an environmentally green practice, but I do it anyway. The BAHA Intenso emits a beep when the battery is losing power (I don't think the Divino has that feature), and prior to my weekly replacement procedure, I noticed that the battery lasted about two weeks.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
no facial, balance, or vision problems either before or after surgery ... just hearing loss
Monmouth County, NJ

Tamara

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 09:45:02 am »
Congrats to Wendy.  I know you've been looking forward to your gotcha day, and I'm really glad it's working out for you so well!

A question about batteries (slight hijack I guess...) - I have just been changing the battery weekly too, but would like to extend that as there are days that I don't wear it (like Jan).  When the battery "goes", will it just work fine one moment and not at all the next, or will it lose power gradually?  And would my hearing just become gradually worse then?  I'm thinking of my kids' electronic books and toys that just sound distorted and nasty when the battery starts to lose power.  I guess I don't want to be in a situation where I think it's working fine, but it's not.  Opinions??

Tam
7 mm AN left side
translab 6-12-08
postop issues including CSF leak, eye issues, and facial palsy.  All issues resolved at 9 mos. except slight facial palsy & weakness.  Continuing to improve...

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 10:40:20 am »

I guess I don't want to be in a situation where I think it's working fine, but it's not.  Opinions??

Tam,

That's exactly the reason why I replace my battery weekly!

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)

BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2009, 01:15:45 pm »
though I don't always practice what I preach (e.g., it's 10:30 a.m. and I've been doing stuff around the house all morning and haven't put it on yet, but I will definitely put it on before I go to the gym for my workout).

So, Catherine - do you actually wear your BAHA during your gym workout? or do you just wear it to drive to the gym and then remove it prior to your workout?

The Divino doesn't have a warning beep when the battery is going dead.  But you can definitely tell - you don't hear as well.  I also am in the habit of "self-testing" my battery.  If you touch the Divino it will emit a squeal.  When I think my battery might be "on the way out" I make sure I test the squeal.  If the squeal isn't there, or if it's getting faint, I know I need to replace the battery.

Jan

kmancini

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »
When you order from microbattery they sent me a little case that I carry 3 batteries in it.  So I have some with me when mine goes dead.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 03:25:22 pm »
There's also a place you can order batteries from that gives you a key chain that you can use to hold your spare batteries.  I can't remember the name of the company, but Bucko posted it about a year ago.  I'll have to search for the link when I have time.  It was very cool  8)

Jan

JerseyGirl2

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 04:00:45 pm »
Jan,

Microbattery (www.microbattery.com) is the place that sends along a keychain for extra batteries; I can fit three of the Intenso-sized batteries in it.

Actually I do wear my BAHA during my workout -- I go to "Curves," so we're not talking super-strenuous here. It's sort of noisy there (particularly if there's much of a crowd), but the BAHA helps. I'm especially glad I wore it there this afternoon because I could hear a woman a couple of pieces of equipment away tell another woman that her 28-year-old daughter just had acoustic neuroma surgery a couple of weeks ago! Needless to say, I leapt into the conversation. Turns out the daughter had a translab procedure (the woman couldn't recall the name, but it was obvious from the description) at St. Vincent's in NYC and is doing fine. I asked if she were thinking about getting a Transear or BAHA, and yet another nearby person said that a friend of hers had a child who had been born without an ear and used a BAHA. Talk about a small world! Turns out that the AN patient isn't interested in either a Transear or BAHA, but I told her mother I'd be happy to pass along some information if she changed her mind. I'm starting to think that acoustic neuromas are becoming awfully common.

Catherine (JerseyGirl 2)
BAHA Intenso, 6/2008
Monmouth County, NJ

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 05:27:57 pm »
Wow, Catherine, it IS a small world. 

You are right about microbattery.com being the place that has the keychain for spare batteries.

Here's the link that I was referring to - it's basically about BAHA batteries in general - anyone curious about batteries might find it helpful.

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=6914.0

Jan