Author Topic: Anissa's Updates  (Read 24834 times)

vossman

Anissa's Updates
« on: April 01, 2009, 10:24:47 am »
Hello everyone!!  Just wanted to let everyone know that Anissa was taken back for prep for surgery at about 8:45 this morning.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to update because the internet was down all day yesterday.  Luckily things are working so far so I thought I would take a chance a do a quick update.  We woke up at about 4:00am this morning and couldn't sleep anymore so we got ready and walked over to the hospital at about 6:15am.  We checked in and we headed up to the surgical waiting area and they called her name right at 7:00am.  We headed back and she got dressed the hospital attire and then we waited while they came and took her blood and had her sign some final consent forms.  Oddly enough the resident nurse from the neurology told us that his wife had had an AN about 4 or 5 years ago and that she did great.  He even said that she is a palates instructor now and she has no balance issues.  That was a bit of good news for us and we just realized how small of a world this is and just how many other AN people are out there.  One in every 100,000????  I guess that number is harder to believe every day as we meet more and more people.

Anyway I can't say a whole lot more right now because I am still waiting for that first update.  It might take a little longer to get her ready because they had to be careful positioning her neck because of her chari malformation.  The neurology surgeon said they would take special care not position her so that it would cause "corking" of her spine.  As soon as I hear more I will update again. 

I would again like to say thank you so very much to Patti, Andrea, and Denise for coming to see us yesterday and for all the information and words of encouragement.  Anissa and I appreciated that very much.  Thanks for "paying it forward"!!

Until later,
Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half

Kaybo

Re: Anissa's Updates
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:52:37 am »
Chris~
Thanks for updating us so soon - I was beginning to wonder but I forget about the time change - I am in Central - are you 1 or 2 hours behind me??  I was praying for y'all this morning while i was on the treadmill!!  Stay busy!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 11:02:54 am »
Chris:

Thanks for the update. How are YOU doing?

After my dx, I was introduced to a co-worker who had an AN removed 1.5 yrs before. Yes, it is a small world. I believe that the 1 in 100,000 refers to new cases per year. That's 3,000 new AN patients per year in the US alone.

I'll be watching for updates.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:13:49 am »
Chris,
Got my pacing shoes on.  Waiting expectantly, but I know it will be past my bedtime when she gets to recovery, being three hours behind (Is that right?).
Anyway, good luck.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 11:15:48 am »
Chris:

Thanks for the update.  So far, so good.  Stay strong.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

vossman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 11:35:27 am »
Just got the first update from the nurse at 11:15am.  The nurse told me that everything was going really well and that they had been underway since about 10:00am.  They were in the process of drilling to get to the AN.  She said that they should be getting their soon and that she would call with another update in approximately 2 hours.

Things here are going well and I'm just trying to keep busy as that seems to pass the time faster than anything else.  I forgot to mention earlier that Anissa had great spirits and had the game face on.  I just hope that I can be as strong for her later as she was for me today.  I will be eagerly awaiting the very next update and I will post just as soon as I get more information.

Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half

andrea in slc

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 11:42:25 am »
Thanks for the updates Chris. We won't call then, sounds like the hospital is doing a good job of keeping you informed and we want to leave the phone freed up for that.

Hang in there! She's on her way to being a postie!  ;D

lori67

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 11:47:46 am »
Chris,

I know you'll be able to be strong for her.  Somehow, when you least expect it, you seem to find the strength you need to support the ones you love.

Sounds like things are right on schedule and moving along well.  I'm sure it's going to be a long day for you - don't forget to take care of yourself - the doctors and nurses have Anissa well taken care of - so today you can just focus on you.

Looking forward to hearing more updates!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 11:51:17 am »
Hey Chris,

well, you are very welcome to hang here, harrass the gang and of course, keeping us updated as best as you can. 

I'm thrilled that they are taking great care of my AN/Chiari sister in crime (anissa and I kinda compared notes on it. I'm thrilled that they took special precautions for her neck for today)....so, will check back here from time to time (when I'm not chasing Lori and Jan around here to keep them in line... ok, add Ernie to that list..... ;) ) and sending wellness wishes along.

don't forget to get yourself some food (yep, gotta do it.....).... hang in there and as you can see, we're all sending wishes along......

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:51:57 am »
Hey Chris,
  It was great meeting with you guys yesterday.  Thanks for keeping the forum updated. I was awake at 4am too, thinking about Anissa remembering how I was feeling the morning of my surgery. Guess I was having sympathy insomnia :D.  It will be a long day for you, she gets to sleep while you do all the worring ???.  She is in good hands. Anxiously waiting to hear she is done and the tumor is out. I'll see you again on Sat.

patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:59:01 am »
No better welcoming committee than YOOTEE and the gang! :) 

Phyl

Hey Chris,
  It was great meeting with you guys yesterday.  
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2009, 12:10:33 pm »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the updates. I know how hard it is to wait: I think my husband suffered considerably while they had me in surgery.  He was a rock throughout my recovery and I'm sure you will do the same.  (I'm waiting for a friend to come out of minor surgery as we speak!)

Hang tough.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

vossman

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 01:24:32 pm »
Just got the second update at 1:15 from the nurse.  She said everything was progressing and they were still working on removing AN.  She said the would call back in another 2 hours for another update.  She said that both surgeons were working on her.

Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2009, 01:50:38 pm »
Thanks, again, Chris. 

The skull drilling takes a long time - for obvious reasons - but Anissa's surgeons seem to be past that stage, now, and actually getting to remove the tumor.  This is a very critical part of the operation, of course.  Try to relax as best you can, eat something and, most important, know that Anissa - and you - are in the prayers of many, today, and that is no small thing. 

By the time I'm back online (tomorrow) Anissa will be in the ICU but I'll be thinking of and praying for you both.  Thanks again for taking the time to update us.  Anissa will be O.K. and you'll be there to help and support her as she recovers.  That will be the best 'medicine'.  I know she wants to move past this (as I did) and that will help her recovery. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009, 01:52:50 pm »
Wow, it's amazing to witness this happening . . . this thing that has disrupted your lives being dealt with as we wait.  I guess it's really hitting home now.
Thank you, Chris.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness