Author Topic: Surgery Completed - New Postie!  (Read 4688 times)

Dusty

Surgery Completed - New Postie!
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:10:51 am »
Hello everyone again.  I am back as a new postie from my surgery on 3/16/2009.  Without getting inton too much detail I spent 7 days in Shands Hospiital.  This was exended due to low blood pressure that took a couple days to get under control.  I have to say that both of my surgeons, Dr, Antonelli and Dr. Lewis, as were their staff were awesome.  My wife was with me most of the time and was very impresssed with alll of the staff at Shands.  As for me, after 2 weeks post op I am feeling pretty good.  I have been walking witha walker since 3 days post op.  I am at this point very dizzy and continue to have the ringing in my ear.  I am SSD on the right side but so far seem to be adjusting farely well.  I will be exploring options for hearing assistance after completing PT and clearance from Shands.  I can answer any questions anyone may have about the procedure and my recovey.  I am very grateful for this forum and all of the invaluable information and relationships that together have made this journey more comforting.  I especially want to thank Karen for the personal note after my surgery that reminded me that I am not alone in this and it is OK to lean on others when in need. 

Dusty
Diagnosed 6/2008 Right AN 8mmx11mmx12mm
Tinnitus, vertigo & pressure
MRI 1/2009 - AN 14mmx12mmx13mm
Surgery Schedule 3/16/2009 Drs. Antonelli and Lewis
Surgery Completed 3/16/2009 AN removed and accoustic nerve cut.
SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: Surgery Completed - New Postie!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:16:58 am »
Dusty -

good to see you back; been wondering about you.

Sounds like you're recovering quite well - nothing out of the ordinary at this point.

That's wonderful news.  Keep up the good work  ;D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:19:21 am »
Welcome to postie land Dusty!

Glad to hear you had a mostly favorable outcome and recovery.  You sound like you are in very high spirits, and getting up and walking will continue to help you with your vestibular issues.

Keep the updates coming!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 01:22:23 pm »
Here's hoping that all the ups and dpwns of post-op quickly smooth themselves out!  Keep your good attitude and give yourself time to heal.  It just takes time to get yourself back to some kind of working order.  Glad your a postie now!

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

cin605

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 01:25:31 pm »
So glad to hear all went smooth.Welcome to postie land!
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

wcrimi

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 02:50:13 pm »
Congratulations on being a postie! 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

MikeS

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 03:58:04 pm »
Glad everything went well and that you're recovery.  You can take comfort that I was in the same place at the same time (operation was 3/17) so there are many of us in the 'recovery' stage.  every day's a new step.

take care and take it slow....best of luck the recovery.
19mm AN, left side
diagnosed Jan '09

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 04:35:00 pm »
Dusty:

Thanks for 'checking in' - and congratulations on a successful AN removal surgery!  Often, immediate post-op issues. such as dizziness, resolve, although the SSD is very likely permanent.  Take it One Day at a Time, as we all do, and look forward to the better days ahead.  :) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kathy M

• Kathy
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 05:01:04 pm »
Glad to see you're on the other side!!!  Listen to everything your body is telling you - rest when you should and keep that great attitude! 

Kathy
AN diagnosed 11/14/08, 3+cm, Retrosigmoid 1/13/09, Univ. Hosp., Cincinnati, Drs. Tew and Pensak
no facial nerve or eye issues!
3 more surgeries related to staph infections & osteomylitis over next 13 months.  New diagnosis of breast cancer.  Treatment completed 08/27/10.  Moving on!!!

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 05:09:28 pm »
Dusty:

Thanks for the update. Looks like you're coming along nicely. Pls continue to keep us posted.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 08:20:04 pm »
Hi Dusty,

Congratulations on a successful surgery.  Sorry to hear your hospital stay was a bit longer than you may have liked.  However, your home and on the road to recovery.

Welcome back,

Rich & Scarlett
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

kenneth_k

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:04 pm »
Hi Dusty.

Welcome back. I'm glad things went well all things considered.

Kenneth

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:44 pm »
Dusty, congrats on becoming a "postie", glad to hear it went well!  I hope and pray that you have an uneventful quick recovery.
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

joebloggs

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 02:56:47 am »
Congrats Dusty!  Welcome to postie land!  Keep up the good work with recovery!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 09:25:11 am »
Welcome back, Dusty, and welcome home. Get some sleep! :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.