Author Topic: Head Rush or Quick Flash of Pain??  (Read 12932 times)

kma

Head Rush or Quick Flash of Pain??
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:03:00 pm »
Hi everybody.  I have another question and I though rather than adding to my first post, I would post this question seperately.  I am having "head rushes" ~ for lack of a better term.  It's kind of a quick flash (just a couple seconds) in my head ~ it's not really pain so much as just a really weird "not right" feeling.  It happens when I either sit or stand to quickly or when I'm sitting and I lean back maybe too far ~ I was going to say slouch ~ but I don't think that's really it.  I had an itch on my back and I leaned my back to the back of the chair to use it to scratch my itch and I got the same head rush.  It happens most often when bending down or like I said ~ standing to sitting.  Sorry ~ I think I'm rambling!!   ::)  Does anyone ever get this feeling?  I always wonder if it's a spinal fluid thing and if it's normal and/or goes away on it's own.  It's pretty much the same area of my head as when you cough or sneeze ~just stronger sensation.  I think my doctor is sick of my callinig with questions and I don't see him again for about 2 more weeks.  By the way, my surgery was February 6th and I came home on Valentine's Day.  I think last Friday was my 5 week anniversary.   ???  Thanks as always for listening and giving your opinions.  You've made it so I don't freak out nearly as often as I was!!  : ) ~ Kathy (KMA)
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

cin605

Re: Head Rush or Quick Flash of Pain??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 11:20:36 am »
Is the room spinning??
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

kma

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:50:33 am »
Hi.  It's not spinning and the "flash" or head rush sensation only lasts for a few seconds.  I'm trying to figure out if it's head swelling or a spinal fluid issue.  It makes me nervous and I can't tell if it's a "big deal" or not.  Everything worries me lately.
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

cin605

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:03:19 pm »
When in doubt call your doc. do not feel bad about calling.We all need help & support right now & thats what they get paid for.
43yrs old

cin605

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 03:12:45 pm »
my guess they will say its normal post op BS...take it easy...you may be over doing it...I should have been a doctor  ;D
43yrs old

kma

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 12:05:46 pm »
Maybe a Brain Surgeon?   ;D

cin605

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 12:17:22 pm »
yup!or ent or primary care.Happy St.paddys day!
43yrs old

wcrimi

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 10:54:45 am »
Is is sort of like dizziness but not quite the same. If it is, I have the same thing.  It gets better, but very slowly.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

kma

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 12:58:49 pm »
Today I'm not feeling well at all and I don't know if it's the weather or not.  My stomach is upset and my head feels really heavy.  I'm getting frustrated with the good day/bad day/good day/bad day. 

My head "pain" is not dizziness.  It's like a rush of pain or pressure.  I spoke with my doctor yesterday and he just said that the head/scalp is tricky and it's just normal and to give it time.  Seems like that's what he always says to anything I ask about.  I'm probably just frustrated but sometimes it just seems like he's blowing me off.  Ugh! 

I also asked him about physical therapy and he said they don't normally do it but that he wouldn't object if I want to do it.  He makes me feel like I'm the only one that ever asks questions or complains.  It might just be my mood ~ I'm not sure. 

~Kathy

wcrimi

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:15:23 pm »
Kathy,

Be patient.  The early part of the recovery is very frustrating because you sort of level off after a few weeks and then the improvement comes too slowly to notice day to day or even week to week.  However, IT DOES COME.  I had all sorts of symptoms in the beginning like hissing in my ear, hearing my heartbeat in my ear, extremely congested feelings in my ear and head, distorted hearing, dizziness, balance problems etc.... But they all slowly improved.  I'm still improving.  At a certain point you will feel well enough to go about your life even though you still have symptoms. Then after that you slowly improve further and the quality improves. Just be patient and confident and know that plenty of people are here for you so you can share your expriences and get feedback.

Wayne
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

kma

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 08:33:22 am »
Wayne,

How did you keep from feeling down all the time?  I just feel so sad and I'm not used to feeling that way.  I have an upset stomach and I thought it was the food I was eating ~ because since surgery I've eaten ALOT.  Now I think maybe it's anxiety.  I just don't know HOW to get going.  Your description of your symptoms sound so much like mine.  All I hear in my AN ear is hissing.  If I plug my other ear, I can hear a little if it's up close to my ear.  How long did it take before you noticed any changes? 

Kathy

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »
Kathy,
It is extremely frustrating even at 8 months to play "stop and go" but that's really what happens.  My head felt abnormal like you describe at about 5 weeks.  I'd still keep bothering the doc with it.  My head really settled down after about 8 weeks. It still doesn't feel quite right, but it's way better than it was at 5 weeks!

Are able to get out and walk?  What does that do to your head?
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wcrimi

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 07:03:39 pm »
Kathy,

I started doing some physical therapy exercises on my own after the first few weeks. If you do a search there are some good posts with suggestions about how to help yourself along. If you can't find them, I'll see if I have any of them bookmarked or in my email.  When I started doing those exercises, I could notice small improvements week to week because I had something to compare to from the week before.

I also kept a log for the first 2 months.

I just got home from work this evening, but if I have some time tomorrow (and don't have to work), I'll give you some details.  Otherwise, it will have to wait until Sunday because I usually work on Saturday. 

Keep your chin up.  The weeks will pass quickly and your symptoms will slowly diminish.

Wayne

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 09:17:30 am by wcrimi »

kma

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 08:47:23 am »
Marci~

I try to walk every day.  Yesterday, it was FREEEEZING so I only did a quick circle around my block.  It was way too cold (Michigan) but I'll be back at it today.  I feel better after I walk except my ear which hisses really really loud after. 

The past couple days have been hard.  My stomach has been really upset and I don't know if it's depression/anxiety (I feel really weepy) or if it's the Naproxen I've been taking ~ maybe it's upsetting my stomach.  I'm stopping the Naproxen to see if it's that. 

Today, I'm going for my first haircut ~ hoping even things out a little bit ~ I know it's stupid but I'm really nervous. 

I have to go back to work at the end of next week and I'm trying to get my head together before I go back.  I just seem to get freaked out about everything lately. 

I know everyone is different but I really appreciate it when you write how long things took you.  It just gives me some sort of ballpark.  thanks.

Kathy

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 08:57:03 am »
Kathy~
I went back to work after 3 months, but I had the whole stroke thing to deal with.  When I started back, I did 1/2 days - I would STRONGLY recommend this if it at all feasible.  I actually alternated between mornings and afternoons that first week...kind of helped b/c some mornings I had to get ready as soon as I woke up or deal w/ traffic and some I didn't.  I taught so this really helped since mornings and afternoons are VERY different in the classroom.  If you can't do 1/2 days, I hope that there is some place at least semi comfy so you can rest a bit here and there.  Just know that when you come home, you will probably be EXHAUSTED at first and just want to sleep until morning!!

You can do anything you set your mind to!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!