Author Topic: Head Rush or Quick Flash of Pain??  (Read 12999 times)

kma

Re: Head Rush or Quick Flash of Pain??
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 09:02:57 am »
K,

I'm going call my boss this morning to talk schedule (gulp). 

Did you drive?  I haven't tried driving yet.  My doctor said "drive when you feel like it".

Not to sound silly ~ but how do you keep your positive attitude?  I can't get it together.

Thanks for the posititve words. 

Kathy
Retrosigmoid on 02-06-09 by Dr. LaRouere (Michigan Ear Institute) and Dr. Pieper.  Perfect hearing, perfect balance, no tinnitus and no headaches before surgery.  Right SSD, loud tinnitus and crazy headaches after surgery.  BAHA surgery 07-29-09 ~ still working on tune-ups...don't love it ~ YET!!

wcrimi

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 09:16:27 am »
Kathy,

It sounds like you are having some anxiety issues over and above recovering from surgery. I have some experience with that, but unrelated to my surgery. I actually handled the surgery better than I would have guessed.  I would talk to your doctor about anxiety.

As far as exercises go, here's some things you can practice. I don't know what you are capable of now, but you can work yourself up slowly. It took me quite awhile to work myself through this list and I still have a lot of trouble with the ones on the bottom.

1. long walks

2. standing on one leg for 10 seconds (then the other leg)

3. standing heel to toe

4. standing with you eyes closed (make sure you are holding on to something or someone is with you so you don't fall)

5. walking while turning your head side to side

6. walking forward heal to toe (sobriety test) *** used to be tough, but now it's a pice of cake

7. walking backward heal to toe  *** used to be tough, but now it's a pice of cake

8. standing heal to toe turning your head side to side  *** used to be tough for me but now getting easier

9. walking head to toe turning your head side to side  *** very difficult for me, but slowly getting better

10. standing on one leg with your eyes closed   *** close to impossible, but I last a lot  longer than I used to

11. standing heal to toe with your eyes closed  *** close to impossible but I last a lot longer than I used to

Visual exercise.

1. Put a 6 inch letter "B" on the wall. Stand about 5 feet from it. Turn your head left and right but try to keep your eyes focused forward on the letter (about 1-2 minutes).  Do the same thing up and down.  

There are lot of others that are variations on these.

Wherever you are in your progress, you will notice after several weeks that you can do some things better and it will keep you encouraged.

Right now, I am working on the various walking exercises while turning my head and some of the tougher things with my eyes closed. They still give me a lot of trouble. But some of the stuff early on the list is a piece of cake now even though they were a struggle at the start.  

« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:17:39 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wcrimi

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 09:23:05 am »
Kathy,

I started driving at about 4-5 weeks, but at first it was just in a parking lot away from traffic to test myself.  Then it was just local where there wasn't much traffic etc....  I think you'll know when you are ready, but take a few baby steps first. You don't want to put yourself in danger because you are not ready. If you have someone that can drive with you, that would help because they can judge how you are doing and take over if necessary. I also did that a lot in the beginning.   

Whenever I was feeling a little down, I tried one of my hobbies. They tended to distract me.  I played my guitar a litte, watched sports when I had a rooting interest and could really get into the game, etc...  If you have a hobby, get back into it.

Wayne
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 04:17:00 pm by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

JudyT

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 12:10:23 pm »
Kathy,
I had CK 41/2 years ago and still have many "not feeling normal"days.........good days... bad days. I am most grateful for ....."Your tumor is dead" Fatigue, balance, memory issues still plague me. Anxiety does produce a variety of symtoms. If you can, just live each day the best way you know how. Hobbies do help to occupy the mind and ease some of the anxiety. This forum is a great scource of understanding and comfort. Keep coming back to it.
Judy

Kaybo

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2009, 03:52:12 pm »
Hey Kathy!
No, I could not drive when I first returned to work and i really don't even know how long out it was before I could.  Unlike most ANer's, since I had had a stroke and was in "stroke therapy," I had to be able to reach a certain score on a simulator that measured my reaction time before I was allowed to drive again.  It varies with everyone (doesn't everything on this AN journey) - it is not a contest, just do it when YOU feel ready.  Most start slow around the neighborhood or on side streets...some even start in an empty parking lot - of course, always have someone else with you at first (it might be too much stimulation or you just might get tired all of the sudden!)!  I hope that your conversation with your boss went well - I am anxious to hear what he (?) said - from the comments on your blog, it sounds like a pretty understanding group at work. 

I don't know what has been the thing that has kept me so positive.  I used to not acknowledge that I was a positive person, but i guess I am beginning to see that I really am.  I have a VERY strong faith in God and I attribute everything to that; however, I know a lot of people have faith and still struggle with this or something else. (It's kind of like when people say that they did not have facial paralysis because people were praying for them - well, I had people praying for me too - literally all over the world - but I still have facial paralysis.)  I don't think you can ever second guess God or His motives - you just have to make the best of them because there is a reason for everything if you look hard enough.  I also have a wonderful support group of family and friends - and always have.  Once again, I think that you have that too.  I really think that it boils down to a kind of inherited trait.  My mom broke her leg this Fall and I saw that persistance and determination (& attitude) that I can now see that I have too.  I think that is how I was raised, you just take what you get and make the best of it.  That being said, I have never been on any meds or been to counseling for depression/anxiety but I would be the FIRST IN LINE if I thought that I needed them.  Sometimes just a little something can help ease some anxieties and help you get back to being the person you want to be - there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that.  One thing that I know I did (& still do sometimes) is set little goals for myself - even if it is just to get a shower that day!!  I also love to make lists...I put EVERY little thing on it (even stuff I have already done sometimes) so I can cross it off and have more of a feeling of accomplishment!!  ;)

Again, please know that I am available to talk to you anytime (actually, I would prefer that as it is not as easy for me to type as talk since my stroke)!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 09:00:56 pm »
Kathy,
I'm still nervous about working but I've been at it since Sept. 15 and it's fine.  My doctor's advice about driving was to wait until I could turn my head easily.  I did gentle head turns daily until I was ready to drive and at that I only went a mile the first time.  Added on from there.

I was also nervous the first time I got my hair done and kept saying "be careful of my scar", but that was just because I was a wreck.  It was great to have a better haircut so it was well worth it.  All of these things I was so unprepared for, even though I had read about everyone's stories here on the site.  Guess I just thought I would recover faster than I have but when I look back on it I realize how far I've come in 8 months and I am pleased.  I tried to push myself but not too hard and that seemed to work for me.  This past week was a good one for me (dealing with pain and numbness) but this morning when I woke up I felt like I had just had surgery.  I was so bummed.  Can't this little train just move forward, even slowly?

I am very grateful for the good moments and will never take for granted what it's like to feel totally healthy.  I hope we both get there soon!
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wcrimi

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2009, 07:32:20 am »
This haircut issue is pretty funny because the first time I got my haircut I told the woman my whole story so she would be really careful near the scar.  ;D   I guess it must be a natural fear. 

Kaybo

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2009, 08:44:18 am »
**HIJACK**

Marci~
Love the new pic!

K

*RESUME*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »
Kay,
Thanks.  That picture has a story.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.