Author Topic: Ear Draining  (Read 10876 times)

Vivian B.

Re: Ear Draining
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 12:11:02 pm »
Hello,

I am reading a lot about CSF leaks. What exactly is this? How is it repaired? Is it serious?

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

wcrimi

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 12:20:50 pm »
It's basically when after surgery spinal/cerebral fluid is leaking from the surgical area. I think I read somewhere where the probability is about 10%, but I'm sure that varies with physician skill.  I don't think it's "serious", but it's serious enough to involve further  procedures that give it time to heal or it must be repaired.  I think if you search around on the message boards you will probably find more info.
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Vivian B.

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 12:34:04 pm »
Thanks for replying so quickly. I am seeing my surgeon on Tuesday and want to make sure I understand all the pros and cons before and after surgery. This forum has been great. It's also good to see that whether some people have had slower recoveries, they are all recovering pretty well and most back at work. This is good news.

Vivian
CPA AN(most likely meningioma) 1.6cm by 1.5cm by 1.9cm diagnosed early March 09. Watch and Wait.

wcrimi

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 01:06:49 pm »
Vivian,

All recoveries are different. I was driving at about 4-5 weeks and working at 6 weeks. I still have some dizziness (at about 4 months), but it is improving very slowly.  I'm not going to tell you it's easy, but my life isn't much different now than it was before surgery.  All I can suggest is that you remain calm and bring a list of questions to ask your surgeon (there's one available at this web site).  Everyone here will help you get through this the same way they helped me and the same way others before that helped them. 

Can I ask how they diagnosed it?

Do you still have useful hearing on the impacted side? 

Your tumor is quite small (a good thing).

1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

kmancini

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »
Hi.  CSF leaks can be serious.  You can leak from your nose, ear or from the site.  I had four surgeries to fix it.  I had from the nose and the ear.  Was put in hospital twice for a lumbar drain.  The leaks are very rare.  I think its 5% of the people get them.  My anatomy was against me.  Meningitis can occur from having a leak.  That is what was told to me by my doctors.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

wcrimi

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 02:05:42 pm »
Karen,

Did you leak from your nose?

If so, was it an almost constant running nose?

kmancini

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 06:33:13 am »
Hi.  Yes I was leaking out the nose and ear so much that I had to keep something stuffed in my nose and ear to soak it up.  Not at the same time.  It was first nose then ear.

Karen
An surgery 4-8-08
lumbar drain 4-22-08
csf leak repair 5-30-08 7-11-08 10-6 -08and 10-24-08
BAHA on 10-24-08
university hosp in Cleveland
Dr Megarian and Dr Selman

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 09:09:43 pm »
Hey Wayne,
My ear still feels funny and I've decided that since there is no medical explanation for it, it might be the nerves.  Since I have trigeminal issues I figured that this could be the case.  There is also some facial nerve stuff that could be the culprit.  But nothings leaking that's for sure.  So I've just accepted that my right ear might always feel clogged and strange.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wcrimi

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 07:29:47 am »
Thanks Marci.  The symptom is diminishing a little, but it's still there. As long as my surgeons say there's no leak, I am comfortable.  It's not a major inconvenience for me and won't be even if it never goes away.  I'm feeling better every month.