Author Topic: contract with dr to not rate them on line  (Read 21149 times)

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
Re: contract with dr to not rate them on line
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2009, 01:03:45 pm »
I don't have a problem with them making that choice but nobody should say that they do not have a choice.  They do, they just don't like that choice - so they say they have no choice.
Nobody?  Hmmm, I think this statement is a little presumptuous on your part.  There probably are people who act out of convenience, but I would say that's the exception. I am blessed with good insurance and it sounds like most of the folks on the discussion board are equally blessed, but I'm pretty sure ANs don't discriminate based on insurance options.

Taking that statement in context, it's correct.  A person can go out of their geographic area to seek treatment.  It just may mean that they have to sell a car, take a 2nd or 3rd mortgage on their house, have a few garage sells or forgo some of lifes conveniences.  But, they are not without choice and, to me, nobody in that situation should be able to say they are not without a choice.  They have a choice, but they just don't like the choices they have.  Hard Choice != No Choices.  That was the point of the statement - if taken in context.

Regards,
Brian
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 05:11:48 pm by Jim Scott »
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 10:24:15 am »
It just may mean that they have to sell a car, take a 2nd or 3rd mortgage on their house, have a few garage sells or forgo some of lifes conveniences.

You know Pooter there are some states that went from boom to bust in a very short period of time….

Oregon ANA Support Group Patient story
I had one middle aged + very intelligent woman recently come to our ANA group. She had a successful surgery in a different state and seemed very upbeat and positive at our first meeting. She made a lateral transfer out here with her career, in banking, so she could be closer to her adult children, who relocated out here for their careers. She was 25+ years with the bank in a different state and was just a few years from full retirement benefits. She and her already retired husband thought that eventually this would be a nicer climate to retire too and be closer to grandchildren. She made mistakes at work- all related to her not hearing properly. The new bank was not as accommodating and understanding as her old one, who knew her before her hearing loss (AN tumor removal) … She was fired. She returned to her 2nd ANA support group meeting not the upbeat person we initially met. One member suggest that she get a baha implant... And her response was,

â€œI have no job and no health insurance. How to you propose I pay for this procedure?”

We had no answers for her. I wish I did. I just pointed her to a Medicare website but I know that the Baha would not be covered by that program. She already tried private insurance elsewhere but was discriminated against for her preexisting condition (acoustic neuroma).  They had already sold their home in a different state and had started to set themselves up for the limited income of retired pensioners for down the road.

Please also know we have another member who actually DID have to sell their house and move in with an aging parent. Life has been very challenging for her since… she would love to go out-of-state for some specialized care- but simply cannot. I do not think her depression is caused by the AN tumor but more the circumstance that she has found herself in.

I have another very dear friend, who is retirement age, and she did take care of her retirement planning in addition to setting up funds to cover any unexpected medical cost that may arise in her “old age”… or so she thought. Her investor was through Bernie Madoff
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Madoff

Just because the swindler went to jail does not mean the victims were compensated

Please know that I have seen many families 2nd and 3rd mortgage their houses and to some this is what happens when the economy dries up...

http://www.opb.org/thinkoutloud/shows/no-place-call-home-families/

These are the very people that can only go where Medicare is offered… and often these socioeconomically disadvantaged people become victims (a second time  :-\) to medical practitioners who do not treat them with dignity.

I have seen one too many people here raised in rural communities who I feel were not exposed to the best educational opportunities. They are very challenged to get on the Internet and research, as many forum-ites here do, as they simply do not have the research or the writing skills to do so…. Heck knows the ability to research the best treatment options… and which doctors already have a record of treating their patients poorly.

Read this one
http://www.partnershiptoendpoverty.org/In-The-News/331553.aspx

So these are the people who fall victim to NOT having the freedom to go out-of-state and can fall victim to being treated poorly by an arrogant and incompetent medical practitioner. These are the very people who will feel pressured to sign the GAG order ... or worse agree to experimental surgery for the sake of a medical student to get-some-practice in a dissection lab with less than adequate supervision.

So Pooter what if the bank already took back their home after they were unable to make the 2nd or 3rd mortgaged house payment, the car was already repossessed and they no longer have an abundance of “stuff” to sell in the garage being that they no longer even have a garage?  ???  They could not find work so these things were lost… as they had NO means left to make the payments.... What if they are not able to find another job in the market that has such a high unemployment rate … or worse their already 25-year+ track record of being a good employee is suddenly scarred by their most recent discriminatory employer -because of their hearing deficit? What about the facial paralysis victim who is trying to make a good 1st impression at a job interview  :-\  and is discriminated against because ignorant people assume they had a stroke or something and that they have brain damage?

Pooter -I am seeing your view here to be more insular than global.

Please take some time read on this Google search thread I have produced for you.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tent+cities&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Many nonprofit and/or faith based organizations are closing their doors- as their resources have simply dried up.

And what does the Wall Street Journal have to say about the current jobless rate? Here is a video...

http://online.wsj.com/video/positive-jobs-report-not-so-positive/9C389F14-A13F-4720-8BF8-9536B905D0B0.html

Know Pooter that I have always enjoyed your posts and often find that you have given me a giggle or two. :D  Even though I sat here, with my eggnog latte reading what you said here, and I got all riled up- know that I STILL like you  :)… and you do look cute in that toque. :-* (Snow in Texas yesterday :o... You will need it there!)

Daisy Head Mazy

P.S. Did you ever read the Grapes of Wrath in high school?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Grapes_of_Wrath
I confess I have not (yet) as I did not go to High School in the USA. I plan to read it over the upcoming winter break ...alongside my teen.
My youngest child, age 11, actually brought this novel to our attention through this magazine publication she read. (She has a subscription to Kids Discover Magazine)
http://www.kidsdiscover.com/product/164/GREAT_DEPRESSION ... you know the younger generation has a lot to teach me ... but I also think I have something to teach them also. We learn from each other... HUG

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:23:21 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

lori67

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 03:46:03 pm »
facial paralysis victim who is trying to make a good 1st impression at a job interview  :-\  and is discriminated against because ignorant people assume they had a stroke or something and that they have brain damage?

Daisy,

Admittedly, I only scanned most of your post because once anything gets beyond 1 paragraph, my adult onset ADD kicks in and it's downhill from there.  However, I did pick up on the facial paralysis part and just wanted to comment.  As a person who has facial paralysis (I do not use the word "victim" here, as I don't see myself as one), I'd like to think that even if someone thought I had brain damage based on the way I look, they would quickly realize that's not the case when I spoke to them.  I'm pretty sure I don't sound like I have brain damage.  Well, okay, maybe before my coffee, but I wouldn't be out at a job interview before my coffee anyway.

I realize that's totally off topic and I'll save Phyl the trouble and whack my own wrist with a ruler, but I just wanted to throw that in.  Maybe I just took it the wrong way, because I'm sure you didn't mean for it to sound harsh or offensive.  I just wouldn't want any Newbies to think that on top of worrying about facial paralysis, they'll have to worry about not being able to get a job too. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.  Carry on.
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2009, 05:48:32 pm »
 Maybe I just took it the wrong way, because I'm sure you didn't mean for it to sound harsh or offensive.  I just wouldn't want any Newbies to think that on top of worrying about facial paralysis, they'll have to worry about not being able to get a job too.  

Lori,

Oh goodness, NO, I did not intend to sound harsh or offensive… Sorry.

Because I have facial paralysis and synkenisis I have too many people ask me if I had a stroke… Others I know too with this have had issues with this too.

I was checking student's books out at the library, this week, and one student asked me,
“What happened to your hearing… and your face?”
I simply explained,
 â€œI had a benign tumor removed and the nerves were damaged in the process.”

I guess it depends on what line of work one is looking for. If you are in a front line “people position” this can be tough… be if someone who works with customers, in a teaching capacity, a public speaker, or an actor (dealing with auditions)…

I know that neuromuscular facial retraining therapy can really help people with synkenisis… that and Botox injections combined.

Side note- off topic
Here is a PDF if anyone wants to know how this works
http://ophth.wisc.edu/publications/fs_summer_04.pdf

Know that in our state, Oregon (and actually Washington State also), we do NOT have a neuromuscular facial retaining (re-education) therapist- yet. Wanda Crook just started to arrange privately to come to Portland- from San Diego. Many are still trying to advocate having her established into an institution that will accept insurance -for those who cannot go out-of-state (e.g. those insured with Blue cross, Medicaid). I can see her privately as I pay her up front …and then submit receipts to insurance for a partial reimbursement -as I DO have good insurance. Too many people I know cannot do this- at all. Truth is I may not talk too much about my treatment experiences, I will be having this week, –when at our next ANA meeting in the New Year- as I feel guilty. It will distinguish the haves and have nots in my group. All I can do is hope that eventually she will be working at the institution, we are hoping to have her at, that can bill insurance… and my ANA buddies can get this medical treatment too… that their insurance is currently discriminating them against from having…

DHM

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 05:50:25 pm by 4cm in Pacific Northwest »
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2009, 11:10:33 pm »
WOW  :o  This thread has taken all kinds of twists and turns from it's original topic.

And I'm one of those (one among many, I should add) partially responsible for it.

Since Phyl hasn't found us yet and taken out her bullwhip, I'll do it for her.

Back on topic, guys - or Steve will have to move this thread to the AN Community section!!!

How'd I do, Phyl?  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 12:38:08 am »
Jan,

Gee, I am not sure what Pearly Whites or Stevie has to say... but I think you would make a great mod!

Yah... we should probably either move it to the community section or agree to stay within the context of the "Dr Gag Order" thread...

DHM

sgerrard

« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 01:03:39 am »
I think the topic and the sidebars are too medical for AN Community. Actually I was more worried that the gloves might come off when somebody called Pooter presumptuous. Fortunately it has remained a civil discussion despite being so lively. Besides, I can follow how doctor evaluation leads to patient responsibility, which leads to jobs and insurance issues, which leads to facial issues and 2nd mortgages, which leads to neuromuscular facial retraining therapy. Kind of.  ::)

So yes, it would be best to return to the subject of doctors and patients, and for everyone to remain calm about it.  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 08:11:50 am »
Whew!  Thanks, Steve.  I was getting nervous about the way this thread was evolving .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 08:16:11 am »
How'd I do, Phyl?  ;)

working for my job and the keys to the Mod Leer Jet, eh? ;) :)  Ya done fine!

Hi all,
I'm with Steve on this.  Just need to tone this back down a wee bit.  Internet forums (regardless of which website) can stir emotions and for this site, sharing of info regarding AN's is truly welcome... sharing of experience to help newbies always appreciated.  Hot debates, when done respectfully, alway thankful.  Hot debates that become out of line or put others down.... not acceptable.

We can all agree to disagree and ask that everyone keeps respect to it... and I thank you.

The whip is certainly out..... but will only ask that all follow Steve's note to keep on topic and remain calm.  Appreciate everyone's efforts in doing so. If it goes outta whack, Pm's will be sent and comments deleted, if need be.

I'm in migraine mode folks.  Let's keep this friendly, ok? :)

thanks,
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"