Author Topic: Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?  (Read 21037 times)

Richard in Palacios

Re: Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2009, 10:25:24 am »
Hello Sue,
Don't give it up so quickly.  In my case, the tinnitus stayed with me for a year before it "left".  Fortunately, it has not returned.  I guess whoever makes those decisions felt like I had enough to deal with and so I have been spared that distraction.  The fact that yours diminishes to a hiss would be encouraging to me.  Patience and remember the motto of the marine recon units: "Adapt, improvise, ovrecome!"  If they had not all ready claimed that one, it would be a great one for the AN community because that is what we are all about.  I'll hope to hear good news from you in the future and am confident that you'll handle whatever it is that comes your way.  Keep us posted.

Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2009, 03:01:14 pm »
Oh I love that motto!  We could put that on our official AN pirate flag.  Cool.  But I wouldn't want to make the Marine Recon people angry.  Might not be a good thing.

Sue in Vancouver USA

PS.  I've had this "hiss" for over 3 years, so I'm guessing it's attached itself to me and isn't going to let go.  But, we can always hope. :)
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

jcc1138

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 12:18:29 am »
I have had tinnitus for about 2 years now. It sounds like crickets (not so bad...)

wcrimi

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:20:01 am »
Mine is actually worse lately.  I hear what can be best described as squeaking sounds, especially when there's a lot of activity and noise around me.  It's like my ear can't process all the different sounds from diferent locations properly and overloads. I've had it on and off since surgery, but lately it's worse and happens in more ordinary circumstances - which makes it tougher to deal with.  ::)
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 09:04:47 am »
If you've ever been in an extremely quiet room (before your AN), and listened carefully you could hear a tone..mix that with a slight hiss...and that's what I hear in my AN ear. 

It's worse when I'm really tired...
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 03:56:40 pm »

ARGH!  Who's with me!?!?  ;)

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 07:03:56 pm »
I am !!
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 02:43:17 pm »
You go Brian.  That thing is magnificient.  I'm sure there are others out there who may be able to come up with another version but you are first and have set a standard.  I love it !!!!
Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 04:10:22 pm »
I hears these lil suckers!!!!!!

Millions of 'em when I have a brainwreck or I'm really really tired. When I lived in the tropics I used to love the lil suckers but now I hates 'em!!!

AAARRRRR!!! I be wiv ye Pooter!!!  A right smart ensign to run up the yardarm of the Princess Batty Wench indeed!!!

At the last symposium I took a giant jolly roger and hung it in the window of my hotel room at the Omni!! We need this one!! And we need T shirts of it too to wear--bet we could find some.

Capt Deb 8)

"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 05:47:05 pm »
Hi there Dufreyne:   ~  95% of the time I'm hearing cars swooshing through a tunnel,  the sound feels like it originates right at my ear; the other  ~ 5% is a sudden high pitched sound that lasts for about 30 seconds, then stops, & it feels like it's located dead center vertically at the back of my head.   I have no hearing in the affected (right) ear.   
So, that's my life with tinnitus ( I've had this for over 20 years, except for the high pitched sound, that happened after surgery, but I've been able to correlate the sound to dehydration; along with worsening balance as the beginning symptom of dehydration ).

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:30 pm »
Dufreyne,
Your level of tinnitus is by no means permanent belive me. It does tone down with time as things begin to seek homeostasis within your head.

Heal well,

Capt Deb 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

TastyKakeman

• 2.0cm removed John Hopkins Dr Henry Brem .
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2009, 06:22:53 pm »
Hey, I am hear (no pun intended) to be the Devil' advocate. Two and a half years out of surgery. I have had Tinnitus for 30 years or more. After my operation my head from more noises. The frogs,crickets jet engine cars in tunnels and now pulsatile tinnitus. This is a swooping swishing sound. This usually happens late in the evening. If I get worked up or upset it kicks in. This has really driven me to my knees. I am speaking for myself and not any of you but my Tinnitus has never stop for a second. I have to remind my family how much it bothers me when ever we have guest over or family for the holidays. It's debilatating. It's a disease that has to classified as one so  the Federal goverment to spend money for researse. I do not feel I will see that happen in my time. I do suggest that anyone with Tinnitus look up the web site <American Tinnitus Association.com>They need our help. Finally there is some light at the of the tunnel. One of our Senator in Congress has Tinnitus and is working on legisation for help to researse this terrible disablity. I have live with Tinnitus for over thirty years.  Thanks and i hope to hear from you.
Bob

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2009, 01:33:51 am »
So sorry you have had such severe tinnitus trouble.  Mine has only started with the AN, but it is continuous also.  It is always there, and I was rather saddened one day when I realized that the last sound I'll probably hear on this Earth will be that damn hissing in my ear.  But, it isn't as horrible as yours, by any means.  I honestly don't know if there will be anything that can be done about this affliction, but if more research is done, who knows what they may find out.  In the future there may be some way of turning off the constant noise.  That would be a blessing indeed. 

Hang in there,

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

roncrawford

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2009, 11:30:35 am »
Sorry to be the buzz kill but it's been over 3 years and my tinnitus has not changed.  Mine is constant and does become worse with certain exterior noiises like washer and dryer sounds.  If I spend just a short time in an area with loud talking or music the tinnitus increases to the level of that area.  Unfortunatly the tinnitus level doesn't decrease until several hours after leaving. 

The hardest thing to deal with when you talk about severe tinnitus is the emotional strain it can cause on you.  Tinnitus is a stimulate no differant then hooking up an electrode to your finger and constintly sending a shock wave through you body.  You may be able to deal with it for a short time but how do you think your body will react when you can't stop it?  Some day when we are abe to measure how the brain reacts to tinnitus the medical world will understand the strength it takes to survive with it.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2009, 11:55:45 am »
Hello Ron,

I am pre-surgery still, but have exactly what you describe.  Very loud tinnitus that gets louder when I'm in a noisier environment.  Just like you, certain sound changes, such as a washer/drier or fan, will change my tinnitus level, but for me it seems to change the frequency a bit as well.

I understand fully the emotional strain as well.  I have to have a LOUD fan running in order to sleep, and even then my sleep is never without interruptions.  I do think I do ok with coping, but I don't bother trying to explain how bad it is to those that haven't experienced it.  After all, we aren't looking for sympathy, and complete understanding is almost impossible without experiencing it.  It's ours to keep, most likely, forever.  I have come to accept that, and do what I can to "ignore" it.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.