Author Topic: Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?  (Read 21004 times)

dufreyne

Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:11:05 am »
I am 2.5 months post op from a middle fossa approach to remove my AN.  The tinnitus has been pretty bad.  I was wondering, for those who experience tinnitus (buzzing or ringing in your ear), what kind of sounds do people hear?  Is it always the same?  Do you have periods when there are 2 sounds at once?  Does it make you dizzy?  Also, for those with tinnitus, do you have any serviceable hearing in that ear?

Dufreyne--

wcrimi

Re: Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:38 am »
I am a little over 2 months post-op also and have very useful hearing on my AN side.

I had very mild ringing in my ear pre-op (high pitched tone). I could only hear it in the quietest rooms or when my ear was resting against my pillow at night. That's how I discovered my AN to begin with.

Post-op, the sounds range from hissing, a squeak-like sound when there's a lot of noise or activity around me (like in a bar, restaurant or at a party), a high pitched sound like before, a combination of them, to almost nothing at all.  My ear also often feels congested a lot of the time. The volume and combinations vary from day to day and even a lot of the time during the same day.  It rarely gets so bad that it's driving me crazy or anything, but it is there. I guess I sort of get used to it at times or don't notice it because of the TV, radio, and other white noise.  I run a fan at night for white noise to help drown it out when I try to get to sleep, but to be honest, on most nights I would be able to sleep without it because it's not that loud.   

The general pattern has been for very slow improvement. Yesterday was great. I hardly heard or noticed a thing all day. Today it's pretty bad for no reason at all.

For me, this is a secondary issue to wonky headedness and dizziness when I'm active.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:41:50 am by wcrimi »
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:14 am »
I can best describe the sensation as a "jet engine" at full throttle.  It begin as hearing in the effected ear diminished and continued for about a year, gradually diminishing in intensity.  By the time we identified the AN,I had no hearing on the effected side.  That was my first clue that there was an issue to deal with. I am now almost 7 months post treatment and it has not reccurred. 
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

sgerrard

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
I have had crickets in my head for several years now. I still have useful hearing in both ears, the left ear having a hearing aid. It is fairly constant, though often I don't notice it, and it does not make me dizzy or anything like that. It is just my cricket buddies along for the ride. I surely hope that yours dampens down, it sounds like it is giving you some trouble.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cin605

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 11:25:19 am »
Lots of noise going on in my ears.My bad ear always rings thats hoe an was discoverded,other ear only rings when i lay down & is not as loud as my bad ear.tones change alot in bad ear from high to low to a flute sound lot of draining & unclogging.
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

chopper

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:15:27 pm »
My ringing is of varying states.   Sometimes it's pretty minimal, others pretty damn loud.  The pitch changes here and there depending on what's going on (ie caffeine/alcohol intake, strenuous physical activity or being tired), and if I pay attention to it, like right now, I can "hear" multiple pitches at the same time, usually high and midrange type ring.   Nerve is intact, but servicable hearing is nil as far as I know.
3+cm AN, hit the chopping block 5 Sep 06 at the Skull Base Institute

Was 4.5cm at it's largest point, completely removed.  All motor functions normal.  Only complaint is SSD on the left side, which was expected anyway.

dufreyne

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »
Does the tinnitus get louder when you are in loud environments?  Do droning noises like the washing machine or food disposal machine make it louder/worse? 

I find that I can forget about it once in a while, bu most of the time it is with me and it makes it very difficult to concentrate.  My doctor told me this should improve with time.  He made the analogy to "phantom limb pain".  Your body takes time to adjust to the new lack of nerve input to my right side. 

Does that sound right to those with tinnitus?

Dufreyne--

wcrimi

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:27:47 am »
It does get louder in loud environments for me, but the sounds are different.  For me, it changes to a squeak-like sound when there's a lot of activity around me (multiple conversations, a TV etc.. all at the same time).  I do not know if it gets better or not because I am also only a little over 2 months away from surgery, but overall I think mine has improved a little. Funny you should bring it up though because yesterday and today have been louder for me.   
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Richard in Palacios

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 08:34:01 am »
dufreyne,
When I begin losing my left side hearing, my ent told me to expect the tinnitus : and that in actuality, it would never really go away but my brain would "learn" to block it out and ignore those signals over time.  According to him each of us is different and would have a diferent time table to accomplish this accomodation.  He even went on to say that some never really made the accomodation and would have the tinnitus to some extent all their lives.  In my case,the jet engine did shut down after about 12 months and has not returned.  In its' place though, I sometimes suffer from what I call noise overload when I find myself in overly loud environments.  That is easily handled though and I hope your struggles with the inner noise will improve sooner than later.  Please keep us posted!
Richard
Was AKA "RED in Palacios". That account now inactive. Originally diagnosed in 10/06 9mm X 3.6mm Waiting and watching.
As of 4/08 15mm X 6mm.  No longer waiting and watching.  Had SRS 6/10/08 at Methodist Hospital in Houston

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 11:08:19 am »
My experience is the exact same as Choppers. Its fairly loud but doesn't really bother me.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

LADavid

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 09:54:32 pm »
I sort of have a symphony in my head.  Since 1985, I've had a steam kettle whistle in my AN ear.  There was little hearing in that ear.  It was gone completely after the Trans-lab a year ago.  The other ear is a bit more melodic.  Somedays I hear wind chimes, others I hear crickets.  I wear a hearing aid in that ear to hear at all.  And when I shake my head back and forth, I get the sound of a light-saber from Star Wars.  It's interesting.  As I have said in previous posts, you do get used to the sounds.  They become a part of you.  It's the normal people that I have a problem with -- especially the mumblers.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

dizzyinca

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 10:25:43 am »
I am 2 mos post op...and the ringing persists.  Exposure to loud noises or extremely quiet environments tends to amplify the high pitch sound.  Prior to surgery I found that distraction and physical activity became my way of dealing with the tinnitus...but now with continued limitations on my physical activity I am finding the tinnitus to be an annoyance.  I have tried the background noises, and usually fatigue and a valium is my answer to a good nights sleep.  The sound is always a high pitched persistent ringing that varies in volume.  I have no serviceable hearing.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 10:42:43 am »
I had a lot of tinnitus (crickets mostly but also white noise) immediately after surgery.  This has gotten progressively better over the course of 6 months, to where it is hardly noticeable most of the time.  And I have my hearing so there's nothing phantom about it.  There are times when it is louder than any sound in the room but that usually passes.  Good luck with it.
Best,
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Keri

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 10:52:20 pm »
it's helpful to read people's responses.. helps me put a name to my noises. i'm still pre-op (just one week away now). i have the symphony david described.  crickets may be a good description, but they're not too loud.  it's kind of high pitched white noise... but then, every once in a while a 'solo instrument' comes in and has it's own louder more pronounced tone. the background noise is kind of like listening to AM radio noise when you're trying to find a station. it's mostly something that i can hear anytime i want to (it's always there) but i seem to tune it out / live with it as well.
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2009, 12:02:59 am »
I have no serviceable hearing in my AN ear.  My tinnitus is like a constant hiss, I guess I'd call it.  It started out small, and grew to a louder hiss and it stays about the same all the time.  Sometimes it's louder, when something has aggravated it and then it's like a roaring in my ear.  And sometimes it quiets down and is a softer hiss.  But that's not as often as I'd like to to be.  But, I'd like it to be gone, too, and that's not gonna happen, I guess.  When I first had the tinnitus I could go into the shower and the shower noise would drown out the hiss and while I was in the shower, I had a bit of near normalcy.  Now, I can usually hear the head noise while I'm showering.  Once in a while I will hear other sounds, but mostly it's just this rushing hissing kind of thing.    Maybe all the air in my head is leaking out!  ;D 

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode