Author Topic: Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?  (Read 21012 times)

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Tinnitus: What sort of sound do you hear?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2009, 01:42:04 pm »
You know, I was at the eye doctor about 2 years ago now, and we were talking about my AN, since he was interested.  I told him about the tinnitus and that I had to have a fan at night, and he LAUGHED at me and said, "Well, I've never heard of such a thing."  Can you believe that?  I thought, well, you idiot, I hope you never have to find out.  Then my evil side said, "yes, I hope you do."   ;)

Sue in Vancouver

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

wcrimi

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 02:50:16 pm »
I also sleep with a fan running at night! 
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

wendysig

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 06:39:39 pm »
Hi Sue,

People like you eye doctor are idiots.  I know it's hard to supress that little devil on your shoulder that eggs you on to wish they can share your experience, I think we've probably all felt that with at least one other person.  Kind of funny from our side though when you think about it.  Sorry your tinnitus is bothering you enough to need the fan.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 08:04:45 pm »
Kinda nuts that  a person needs the "white noise" to find relief from the "white noise" going on in the head.  Strange but true.

Sue in Vancouver USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2009, 10:40:16 am »
I don't know why, but sounds "inside" the head are detrimental to sleep while external sounds are soothing.  Maybe it's just me though :).  Any internal sound, like hearing myself breathe, or whistle through the nose, or even "heartbeat" noises keep me awake.  The tinnitus for me came on suddenly, not slowly.  One day I just had tinnitus.  Sleeping with tinnitus is next to impossible for me.  I have to have the fan, even if it's cold :)

I was reading last night with no external noises on (like the fan), and found that the tinnitus would pull me out of the story and back to real life.  Very aggrivating, but If that's the worst it gets, I can deal with it.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

moe

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2009, 10:53:09 am »
Yep just try to survive. Frequent rest periods. Mine is 24/7 screech in the deaf hear, so I can't mask it with CDs. But I can sleep through it! I love my naps, I love my sleep. It's what keeps me going. I try to stay busy, and do best outdoors. Good thing my kids are older-2 in college and teen at home who is invisible. But unfortunately no one will ever be able to empathize unless they have experienced it. I am a nurse, and have tried everything. I also like my meds and have found that low doze xanax is THE only thing that will curb it. (went from a scream, to a screech, so life is bearable). Hard part is finding someone who will prescribe xanax. An addictive antianxiety. Docs don't like to prescribe it.
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

kathylittlejohncobb

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 08:14:42 am »
I am almost 3 year post-op, and the sounds are still with me.  Sometimes they are loud & noticeable; other times I am unaware of them, especially when engrossed in something.  The sounds do change.  Sometimes at night it sounds like millions of crickets; at those times I picture myself out in the middle of nowhere, in front of a campfire & under the stars, and somehow that helps.  At other times, the sound is just a constant mid-tone hum.  Occasionally I will hear several "pings" along with the hum.  The feeling of that ear being "full" is pretty much constant, with that feeling somewhat ebbing at times.  But with all of this, the good news is that one can and will adjust to these things.  The knowledge that we are blessed with the treatment available to us is immeasurable.
Kathy
Retrosigmoid at House/St. Vincent's in Los Angeles 4-4-06; partial hearing saved on AN side;
Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Rick Friedman, my heroes!

Mickey

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2009, 09:20:02 am »
Hi Kathy! I`ve had my tinnitus half my life in similiar fashion (60yrs. old). I`m presently W+W. I did go thru Neuomonics which did help me by at least 50%. It`s my only symptom w/ very minor hearing loss. Even if you were to try some nice mellow music on a good set of headphones it may bring you relief. As for Neuromonics I definately reccomend but without insurance its pretty expensive. After the inital program of everday use for at least 6 mos. I now use it when my noise levels perk up and it seems to bring them back down to a very manageable level.  Best Wishes, Mickey