Author Topic: My doc found me on the web....  (Read 1110 times)

Pembo

My doc found me on the web....
« on: December 17, 2008, 07:41:15 pm »
I had my 4.5 yr MRI this month and saw my doc yesterday for follow-up. There is NO sign of any tumor. Hooray. No mri's for 2 years...

However his first comment to me was...Pembo huh?! Then he said, you've said nice things about me online. I told him that Marci and I have his back. He said nice things about her too. Our doc has had 128 new AN patients in the last 18 months and by the end of 2008 he'll have done 40 AN surgeries this year alone.

Anyway, it feels good to know that my brain is unremarkable. Recovery is slow and it's only in looking back that I see my progress. I'm still coming to terms that my life will never be the same but it is definitely better now than 4 years ago.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Re: My doc found me on the web....
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 11:13:33 am »
Pembo -

good news about the MRI.  Congratulations.

Interesting that your doc reads the forum - he should encourage all his colleagues to do the same.

Hmm, wonder if my doc has found me here?  Also wonder if everything I've said is nice  :P

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 12:59:06 pm »
I'd say "unremarkable" is a good thing when talking about your brain MRI!

That is great that your doc reads the forum.  He's obviously interested in what happens after the surgical part is over and his job is done.  That says a lot about him.  Good thing you said nice things about him!   ;)  Maybe he should cut you in on some of the profits for the advertising you're doing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 03:25:17 pm »
Pembo:

Thanks for the update and congratulations on a 'clear' MRI!  :)  I'm impressed by the fact that your doctor, clearly a busy man, visits this website and reads the messages on the forums.  That demonstrates involvement on his part with his AN patients beyond simply reading the medical journals.  My neurosurgeon has been a member of the ANA for decades, although I don't believe he visits these forums, but I could be wrong as we're all somewhat anonymous (If you're there - Hi, Dr. Goodrich!).

I'm pleased to learn that - from a 4½ year vantage point - you can see the progress in your recovery and have reached a place where you can accept the reality that although some aspects of your life have been permanently changed, you're still better off than you were. I think that could be said for any of us here.  May your future be bright and your all of your MRI scans 'unremarkable'.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 06:35:52 pm »
Hey there!
I'm so happy that your MRI was clear.  What good news!  Yes, Dr. Megerian is the best.  I will never, ever forget that team of surgeons; they were, unlike our brains, remarkable!
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.