Author Topic: Magic Scarf - Leopard Fashion For The Male AN Patient  (Read 12019 times)

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
Magic Scarf - Leopard Fashion For The Male AN Patient
« on: December 17, 2008, 04:14:19 pm »
Hello Everyone!!!

As requested, feast your eyes on the first (and I might add, purr-fect) male to be the recipient of the leopard print Magic Scarf.  The powers of healing it possesses are immense.  Even though it did not arrive in time for the surgery, the Virtual Magic Scarf was a perfect substitute (see profile pic of me wearing post-surgical "bonnet", a much needed bib, and the VMS).

Many thanks to Debbie for starting up the tradition!  We looked forward to receiving the package from AMD (keep running down that path to full recovery!) and her husband, Chris.  It was a daily topic of conversation.   It helped keep the spirits up.

And when it arrived, what a visual and tactile treat!  Not to mention I was feeling that much better again.  It also provided the impetus to make a little project out of the request for pictures.  I had a lot of fun with it.  I trust the next recipient will be equally agog over the physical and magical impact of the amazing Magical Scarf.

Cheers!

Ken
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 11:19:39 pm by 1cANAdian »
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

Jackie

Re: Magic Scarf - Leopard Fashion For The Male AN Patient
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2008, 04:38:31 pm »
Hey Ken,

Thank-you for sharing the "new you" and what a fantabulous statement you make!!! Continued healing and well wishes from Oregon!
Jackie
9mm x 11mm Right Side AN mild Tinnitis, and 60% hearing loss
Diagnosed 02/04/2007
Nov.13th, diagnosed with 5mm Meningioma
9/24/08 diagnosed with Aneurysm
Wait and watch per ENT's advice and researching my options!!! What's next???

cindyj

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 05:02:53 pm »
Oh my gosh, Ken!  Great use of the Magic Scarf - we should submit this to GQ.  Now all the future male recipients will know how to properly wear the Scarf for each AN treatment occasion.

Great job - thanks!  And you must be feeling pretty good to come up with that - so glad for you!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 06:01:47 pm »
OOh, Ken!  Tres chic!   ;D

Who said men couldn't pull off a leopard scarf?  You look mah-velous!  And no droopy face!!!  Doesn't get much better than that!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

NL

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 06:38:14 pm »
Wow, Ken! That's impressive - not only the fashion statement, but that you can look so dashing at 9 days post-op!

Captain Deb's going to love your pirate leopard - I'm pretty impressed with the formal leopard, myself.

You've taken the Magic Scarf to a new level - and latitude! ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:03:41 pm »
HI Ken,

I hope you don't think of me as a stickler for moving this topic to AN Community. I just think it is all about sharing the joy, and is not really an AN Issue.

I have to say, you look amazing for someone 9 days out from surgery. I think your surgeon has done you well, and you appear to be headed for a great outcome. SSD and tinnitus are par for the course, and the other stuff will clear up in time.

And then we have the scarf itself. I must admit, I was not confident that you would be able to pull off a leopard print scarf look, but you have done an admirable job. Thank you for representing the male AN patients so well.  ;)

I"m with Jan, I am partial to the Formal Leopard, with Pirate Leopard a close second.

You do realize that now you will have to part with the scarf, and send it on to the next patient? No hoarding it, however good you may look in it.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Keeping Up

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 08:17:22 pm »
I saw this at work (I check in every now and again) and was laughing while on a conference call.  I had never seen a picture of the magic scarf so this was quite the intro!

You do look simply amazing for 9 days post-op.

Ann
dx Dec/08 - 5mm x 8mm AN
'watch and wait'

LADavid

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 08:47:35 pm »
Ken -- even down here in the ANA Forum basement, you have set the standards of AN cool.  For all of you Prebies, this is what it's all about -- a laugh in the face of an AN.  We (and the magic scarf and the support of this Forum) win.
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 09:08:21 pm »
You look GREAT!  Thanks for sharing the pics!  I would be remiss if I didn't ask about, what appears to be, the dot on your forehead.  I ask because I had one post-op also.  I don't recall if I ever got an answer about what it was.  I can surmise it was left over from whatever mechanism they use to keep your head still during surgery.  Is yours the same, or did I just stick my foot in my mouth and it's something totally else?  ;)

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 10:54:47 pm »
Hi Pooter!

If I recall correctly, you has some post op issues.  How's everything going now?

I'd like to say I took a puck to the noggin blocking a shot or something exciting like that, but alas, it was from the surgery.  They used a tripod clamp gizmo thingy, as you suggest, to keep the head from moving even the slightest bit.  The hole needed two stitches to close it up.

Cheers!!

Ken
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 07:55:49 am »
Ken,

Everything is back on track now.  It's now gotten to the point that unless they see my scar (I keep pretty short hair, so it's hard to miss), they can't tell that I had surgery only 7 months ago (or thereabouts).  I still have a little bit of facial weakness, but even my doctor won't call it permanent for at least 5 more months.  It's continuing to get better, so I'm hopeful that it will all clear up.  By and large, I had a GREAT outcome.  True, I had some post-op issues (one in particular landed me back in the pokie (i.e. hospital) for a few days this summer, but as I look back things couldn't have gone much smoother than they did.

Thanks for clearing up the mysterious dot on the forehead issue for me.  That's what I told myself just to make me not obsess about where it came from.  ;)  Now, if I can get an answer to my other burning question about the red patch that I had for several weeks (it even hurt a little), I would be almost complete.  Did you have that also?

You and Priscilla are doing MARVELOUSLY!  I'm glad for that.  Lots of rest and down time for both of you is in order.  You both have been through a MAJOR surgery.  Don't lose sight of that fact as you get frustrated with the painfully slow recovery.  I remember getting SO frustrated in early recovery because healing took SO long.  I can look back now and say it wasn't that bad, but living through it meant it felt like an eternity for things to change.  As long as you truly understand that it could just take some time, then you won't get as frustrated.

Continued healing.  At your body's pace.  Patience, patience, patience...  I can't say that enough.  :)

Regards,
Brian
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 09:13:21 am »
Hi Ken!
As you would probably guess, I am partial to the pirate look meself and am ready to leave Dr Love for you!!!!!  OOOOWWWWWEEEEEE!!!!!!!! Ain't nuthin like a scallywag in a jaunty headscarf ter steal a wenches heart!
(Calm down, Deb, Calm down........ahem, ahem...........) OK...OK.....  I'm glad your surgery went well and that you are feeling better and are on the road to recovery.  Try to do a little walking every day--will really help wiv the old balance thing. Otherwise, relax and let the bod heal itself and let the Magic Scarf do its thing and only take it off in the shower else it won't work!

Hugs,

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 10:00:07 am »
Hello again Brian!

Where was your red patch, and how big?  The only other bits of my head that were sore (other than sugical site) were also related to the head restriaint.  A coupe of quite sore and itchy bumps on the back, and one patch on the side, that were a result of the surgery.

Glad to head things are progressing well for you. 

Cheers!

Ken
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:44:38 pm by 1cANAdian »
4+ cm AN removed

Pooter

• Blog Website
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:42:08 am »
Ken,

I had about a 4 inch by 3 inch (if memory serves, I was just post-op so don't hold me to ANYthing) area on my leg that was RED.  It's like something that was very warm was rested against my skin for hours and then removed.  It wasn't truly painful, but I was aware it was there..if that makes sense.  I pointed it out to my doctor (because it took several weeks to clear) and he appeared just as puzzled as I was.

Glad to hear things are going better than expected for you as well.  Keep the healing up!

Regards,

Brian

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 10:54:16 am »

I"m with Jan, I am partial to the Formal Leopard, with Pirate Leopard a close second.

Steve

Wow, I don't even have to give my two cents worth, and Steve agrees with me anyway  :o   Guess I've trained him well  :D  ;D

Ken -

I can't believe you are giving us not one, but three pictures!  And I agree with Steve and Nancy, the formal leopard looks very dashing!

This trio of pictures might make a nice Holiday postcard for friends and family  ;)

Thanks for sharing,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways