Author Topic: Magic Scarf - Leopard Fashion For The Male AN Patient  (Read 11977 times)

lori67

Re: Magic Scarf - Leopard Fashion For The Male AN Patient
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:54:03 pm »
Brian,

The red patch on your leg was probably where the doctor put his coffee mug down.  Sometimes you just need two hands to do brain surgery, you know!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 01:16:48 pm »
Brian,

The red patch on your leg was probably where the doctor put his coffee mug down.  Sometimes you just need two hands to do brain surgery, you know!   :D

Lori

I KNEW it was something!  Now I feel complete.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  And I thought it was maybe because someone put down their boombox for tunes during my LOOONG surgery.  ;)  Thanks for clearing it up for me!

Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 01:21:55 pm »
Ken,

I got a laugh out of those pictures!!  Now doesn't that just beat all.  I like LADavid's comment though and couldn't agree more, we do win!!  It's about time!!

Glad you are recovering nicely for such a large tumor and cudos to your surgeon for sparing your facial nerve.  Take Cap'n Debs advice and give the body a rest, but do get outside and walk, walk, walk.  

It's going to be two steps forward until you hit the "plateau" period then as you challenge yourself more with the life you used to live (most of us can't let it go and try to return to what we once did) you might notice it's more like two steps backward.  Don't give up, ride the ebb and flow of your recovery and "welcome" to your new normal.  Learn to let the "old" normal go as quick as you can.  Life without a vestibular nerve does change us forever, but in a small way once we adjust ourselves to it.  

Merry Christmas, peace to you and your family.
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 06:17:08 pm »
Ken-

What panache, what style, you are most fitting of the title of "first Man of the Leopard."  I must say that you've quite dazzled most of us with your photo-posting talents - and all this less than two weeks from surgery!  You'll be a tough act to follow!

Glad you are feeling well and have retained your sense of humor - that will surely see you through any rough patches on the road. 

LOVE the picrtures!!  I always share them with the friend who gave me the scarf in the hospital - little did she ever imagine what journeys the scarf would take...

Debbi, sending you big cheers!
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 06:52:11 pm »
Wow Ken.  I mean really..wow!  You look great; the scarf in its three versions is very fetching on you but I vote for "formal leopard".  Glad I read this at home and not work--I would have laughed loudly and inappropriately.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 07:59:13 pm »
Wow, I don't even have to give my two cents worth, and Steve agrees with me anyway  :o

Whoops, I think it was actually Nancy.  :D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

1cANAdian

• I'm just 1cANAdian
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:41:31 pm »
Hello All!

Thank you very much for the positive comments on the Magic Scarf photos (and on my sauve good looks too!).  The time it took to put together the montage was more than worth it if a few smiles were cracked as a result.  I could not have done it without the person behind the camera.  My wife, Michelle, has been supporting me emotionally and physically from the start of this little adventure.  If fact, she made the correct diagnosis on the way to the doctor the hear about the MRI results.  I've thanked her before, and I'll do it again now.  Thank you Michelle!  My presence on this forum is due to her too.  The advice and positive messages from you all have been beneficial beyond measure.  Being well informed prior to surgery is so important, and it all began here.

It has been very cold up here in Edmonton lately.  And snowy.  Despite that, I have followed advice.  I got outside for a walk today.  Then had a nap afterwards! 

As Steve mentioned, I will have to take the Scarf off soon and pass it on to the next person.  I see a couple surgeries posted on the Calendar for January, but have no idea who the people are.  If any one is able to provide information on them, and the rules for passing the Scarf on (I believe the first person scheduled each month).  Or maybe I'll be like Gollum from Lord of the Ring, and just try to keep it.  We wants it, we needs it.  Must have the precious.

Cheers!!

Ken
Right side trans lab surgery on Dec 8th, 2008
4+ cm AN removed
Post Op Symptoms: SSD, tinnitus, facial numbness, minor balance issues, weakened facial nerve
Attitude: POSITIVE

wendysig

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 10:06:23 pm »
Hi Ken -
YOU LOOK MARVELOUS!!    I always said real men CAN wear a leopard print scarf -- you really pulll it off with style!

Best wishes for continued goo healing!!!

Wendy ;D
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

gringadactyl

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 11:38:03 pm »
What a great thread! Made my night.  Hope all is well 3 (!) years later! 

(and thanks all for the talk of the red spots! I have a crazy scar smack on the top of my head from a monitor or something, and I kept picking at it while I was all drugged up.  I forget these things are part of my life!)