Author Topic: Shopping for a hearing aid  (Read 15995 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Shopping for a hearing aid
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2009, 01:02:55 am »
I got this wonderful idea today. I thought I would try out my hearing aid with my good ear. Why? Just wanted to see what it sounded like to a normal ear. Boy was it loud. There is so much that my AN ear is missing out on. I got a perspective on how much hearing I've lost on my AN ear. I usually keep the volume on its highest setting, and even then, there is so much that the hearing aid can't do for my AN ear. It's helping more than my ENT and 2 audiologists told me it would, but my word recognition is so far gone-- though not enough for a BAHA--that I'm somewhat disillusioned. Still have time to continue test driving so I'm not giving up just yet. What a rollercoaster ride this is.

I seem to not notice my tinnitus as much since I got my hearing aid. It's still present, but for some reason it appears to be milder. Another plus to having the hearing aid I would say.

Syl
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 01:14:30 am by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Syl

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2009, 12:08:47 am »
I think I made up my mind about my hearing aid--it's a keeper. It does seem to help me with word recognition in a noisy environment when I'm having a conversation with someone right next to me on my AN side. Unfortunately, it hasn't been very helpful at checkout counters where there are a few feet of distance between the cashier and me--that's a situation that comes up often.

What has been most pleasantly surprising and very beneficial is the directionality that I have gained. I don't want to be without that again. I have also noticed that my tinnitus is diminished when I wear the hearing aid all day. Yesterday, I decided to go without the hearing aid. At the end of the day, my tinnitus was louder.

It wasn't easy deciding if my hearing aid was a keeper or not. Though my word recognition is pretty far gone and my neurotologist and 2 audiologists didn't think it would help at all, I'm certainly better off with it than without it.

So now that I know I'm keeping it, I think I'll name it. I'm taking suggestions for names--preferably names for a female.

Syl

sgerrard

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 08:53:29 pm »
Syl,

I saw this post earlier, and somehow forgot to reply sooner, although I meant to.

I think you will be happy with that decision. My hearing aid falls short of restoring me to perfectly natural hearing (sniff, sniff), but it definitely helps. The best effects are the ones that you don't notice, because they aren't an issue anymore. I have to reflect now and then: "hey, I've had three mini-meetings at work today, and I don't remember saying what or not hearing what people said. Must be working after all."

The register checkout is a tough one, I think. I notice that my hearing aid will sort of dial in on some sounds, like a radio playing, or the background of a store. Once it is tuned like that, someone speaking is almost filtered out - like it is saying hey, I'm concentrating on this other sound, don't interrupt me. If they speak continuously for a little while, it will refocus its attention on them. Try being chatty with them, and encouraging them to be.

How about Chatty Kathy - wasn't that a doll?  ;)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2009, 09:53:00 pm »
Ooohhhh....I like Chatty Cathy. And, yes. It was a doll. I still have mine from when I was a little girl (minus the string that made her talk, drat the bratty kid that broke it off).

I've actully been contemplating whether to investigate a hearing aid or not, but after reading this it makes me more interested in checking it out. I do get tired of saying "what" so often.  :(

I saw an tv advertisement and they were saying that they have a 7 day free trial, but after reading posts here isn't 30 days a more realistic trial period?

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Syl

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:44 pm »
Steve:
I like "Chatty Kathy".

Cathy:

I did have to pay up front for my hearing aid. If I decided not to keep it, I'd get a refund. But I do highly recommend you test one out.

Another benefit to my "Chatty Kathy" is that it looks like a small cell phone ear piece, but without the blinking light. If I need to get away from someone, I can just say "I'm sorry but I have a call I need to take." I'm going to have so much fun with this!

Syl

wendysig

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 09:28:58 am »
HI Syl,

I love Steve's suggestion of Chatty Kathy (kudos to you Steve) I have been trying to come up with some  good names  but I think this name is a keeper!   ;D

I think your idea of getting away from someone by saying you have to take a call is an excellent  and hilarious means of escaping someone without seeming rude!

Wendy

1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:47 am »
What a useful and informative thread this is!  Maybe Phyll won't even send us to the basement for this on! Tee hee hee....

One of the great things about attending the symposiums is getting to talk to the hearing device vendors and getting to try out their gizmos. The BAHA blokes had a headband thingy and the transear people had an earpiece. I put that headband on my head and my friend Kathleen started talking to me on my deaf side with a bunch od background noise and I could actually hear her!  I just about cried.

If I needed one of these for work I sure would get one. When I got my disability money it was a toss-up between getting myself out of doc and prescription bill credit card debt or getting a gizmo. I chose to pay me bills!

A young working person who becomes SSD through a brain tumor? Shame on the insurance company that doesn't consider that an "artificial ear"--a prosthesis if you will.

I would love to get a gizmo--the inventor of the Transear has an office about 2 hour drive from where I live and my headaches are improving all the time so I'm able to paint a little more. I sure would love to hear my Buffett in pseudo-stereo!!!

Good Luck to all of you in your "Quest for Hearing!"

Hugs,

Capt Deb. 8)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Syl

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2009, 12:03:45 pm »
Thanks Captain Deb.

Syl