Author Topic: Hearing Question  (Read 2236 times)

nteeman

• Back to Mono
Hearing Question
« on: February 08, 2009, 12:50:36 pm »
I had my retrosig surgery on 1/27 and everything went very well.  I am home on recovery and the only noticeable side effect of the surgery, besides the fact that I still can't fully taste food yet, is the deafness in my AN ear.  The docs told me there was a 50/50 chance of SSD but they tested the nerve during surgery and while the nerve signal was weak there was some nerve activity.

Prior to surgery I had about a 50% hearing loss in that ear with 85% word recognition. 

Now my question is can my hearing come back a little over time or at what point should I consider this loss permanent?

Thanks,

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Re: Hearing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:20:08 pm »
Neal:

I hope this doesn't appear to be an attempt at evading answering your relevant question but frankly, I think that is a question for a medical professional familiar with your case.  I could only speculate - and that would be next-to-useless.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nteeman

• Back to Mono
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:26:28 pm »
Neal:

I hope this doesn't appear to be an attempt at evading answering your relevant question but frankly, I think that is a question for a medical professional familiar with your case.  I could only speculate - and that would be next-to-useless.

Jim

Jim,

Your answer makes perfect sense. Thanks for your sincere response.  I will speak with my surgeon tomorrow and find out.

Neal
Diagnosed 12/16/2008
AN 2.4 X 2.0 X 1.6 CM
surgery performed on 1/27/2009 Mt. Sinai Hospital, NYC
Dr.Bederson & Dr. Smouha
9:30am thru 5:50pm
http://www.facebook.com/neal.teeman

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:44:40 pm »
Neal,
I also had retrosigmoid and though I hadn't lost any hearing before surgery, immediately after I didn't think I could hear much of anything in that ear.  It took about 3 months for it to settle down and I have retained my hearing, though I know I'm the exception to the rule.  Give it time.  That and a hearing test will tell you everything you need to know.
Best
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.