Author Topic: I'm Getting Plugged!  (Read 6827 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
I'm Getting Plugged!
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:50:44 pm »
Well, after six months of fighting the dry-eye battle, I finally decided to get a punctal plug/s.  Have an appointment tomorrow afternoon for what is promised to be a 5-minute procedure that entails having my eye numbed (which shouldn't be that hard given the overall numbness!)

My eye is SO close to closing, but just won't quite make the final move.  It hasn't changed in the last few months, so time for the next step.  Here's a pic I took with my cell phone so you can see how close I am - just not quite close enough...  And, of course, still no tears unless they come out of a capsule!

I guess I didn't get the remnants of lube off my eye here, did I?   :D
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

lori67

Re: I'm Getting Plugged!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:02:57 pm »
Deb - so close!!!  You'll get there!

Good luck with your "plugging".  I've had good results from my cauterization - it was the best thing in the world!  I hope you'll have good results too!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:10:36 pm »
Oh Debbie so close. Let me know how the plug works...temporary I am assumiing. I heard they are fairly easy to remove too.
My eye is exactly where yours is, just that tiny bit to go. My eye does not blink all the way and I try to watch it in the mirror and it is so tiny and happens so fast I don't see a thing. I did video tape it and can see a bit of my lashes come down so I know it is happening (started in August) but maybe this is as good as it will get. I certainly hope not. Oh the dumb eye thing, pain in the ...
Good luck.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:39:48 pm »
Miichele- you're so funny, trying to video your eye movement.  I did exactly the same thing.  I am always sure that my eye is blinking, but then it turns out that it is only twitching. 

Lori, I remember you saying how well the cauterization has worked for you, so that kind of inspired me to take the first step with the plugs.

I'll post again tomorrow after I am plugged.  Maybe I'll post a new "smile" picture, too.  Quite a bit of improvement there, which is encouraging.  Now if my darned eye would justs do something!
2.4 cm Right Side AN

calimama

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 08:45:21 pm »
Hey Debbi,

Your eye is doing great... better than mine that's for sure! Good stuff. Nearly there! Does your eye blink? (oh, maybe i read to fast... i know Michelle was blinking... sort of....  ;)

Look forward to your plug story and latest photos.

Trish

Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:05:01 pm »
Well, it's done and it could not have been simpler.  The plug is clear and is about the size of a grain of sand.  The doc said that if it ever comes out, the only way I'll know is that my eye will get dry quicker - it's way to small to see.  He didn't deaden my eye but the procedure was totally painless.  And, it took about a second to pop the little sucker in.  Now, I will be tracking my eye drop usage to see what kind of difference this makes.  I only had the lower lid plugged; I can always do the upper lid later if I feel like I need it.

I'll update over the weekend and let you all know how it is working.

Debbi, all plugged up...
2.4 cm Right Side AN

Kaybo

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:37:16 pm »
Deb~
Glad the "plug" insertion was simple & easy!!!   ;)

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:00:52 pm »
Debbi -

Glad you had a pleasant plugging.  I think the stock market is reporting a big loss in eye drop profits today!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 04:19:10 pm »
Lori - good thing I sold my shares...  ;D

Kay, you naughty girl!!  ;)
2.4 cm Right Side AN

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 06:51:35 pm »
Debbi,
So happy to hear you've been plugged!  And so well too!

Seriously, hope it helps.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

texsooner

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:26:19 pm »
Debbi, congrats on the plugging. Hope it works well. I'm very interested in your progress with this. Keep us updated on how it works.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

jazzfunkanne

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 08:23:13 am »
Hi Debbie, my eye is like yours so close to closing (with gold weight in) i was interesed too what the plug does to your eye?
over 4.5cm AN removed dec 06

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »
Well, here's the 24-hour update and a little background on puctal plugs.

I did notice today that I seem to be using less drops than usual, and at one point, I went about 4 hours without putting anything in my eye.  That is a BIG improvement.  I tried a lighter-weight drop today, but think I still need to use the thicker Celluvisc.

I had my tear duct in my lower lid plugged, the idea being that we lose eye moisture two ways - 1) drainage through our tear ducts and 2) evaporation.  Can't do much about the evaporation until I can get full eye closure, but by blocking the tear ducts, I won't have to worry about losing eye moisture that way.  I may also consider getting my upper lid tear duct plugged at some point as the opthalmologist said that I am probably also losing moisture that way to a lesser extent.

The plug they use is some type of man-made material (hypo-allergenic) and it can be taken out at some point if I start producing my own tears.

The doc said that he usually deadens the eye, but since I don't have full sensation, he didn't feel it would be necessary - and it wasn't.  And, it took less than a second to insert the plug.  Probably helped that I couldn't blink when I saw the tweezers headed my way.  ;D

It was very warm here today, so we didn't have the heat on; next week it is supposed to get cold again so when the heat is back on, I'll get a good test.  (Heat being very drying to the eyes.) 

Too soon for a final verdict, but early signs are positive.  And, absolutely no discomfort from the plug at all - I wouldn't even know it is there.

More later...

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

wendysig

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 08:39:03 pm »
Hi Debbi -
Sorry I'm a little late getting here.  I'm so glad to hear you got your puntual plug and it seems to be helping.  Baby steps are clearly a common theme in the AN story.  I'm glad to hear the procedure was simple and pain free.  Hopefully things will only get better from here.

Hugs,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Patti

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:58:51 am »
hi debbie and everyone else.  i should chime in this conversation.  i have the same eye status as you debbie and so many others (lack of sensation, no tears, constant drops, gold weight, yearly abrasions on the cornea).  i have upper and lower punctal plugs.  they help very much.  don't get freaked out and give up if they fall out down the road.  they will adjust the size of the plugs if needed and give you new ones.  i've been told i have a big hole ???  another helpful discovery i made years ago-when i use lacrilube or some other oily substance at night, it doesn't seal my eye shut.  just rolling over could cause me to scratch my cornea.  by accedent i discovered that my refresh liquigel (1% cellulose) which i use all day, dries up on my eyelids at night and glues my eye shut.  its a great safety feature.  my eye will be the ongoing issue for the rest of my life.  everything else (almost) has become a non-issue (at this time).  i encourage others to try the liquigel at night and let me know how it works.  good luck.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015