Author Topic: BLINKING ON HIATUS DUE TO COLD WEATHER. HELP!  (Read 5249 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

BLINKING ON HIATUS DUE TO COLD WEATHER. HELP!
« on: November 07, 2008, 04:46:38 pm »
OKAY. GOT COLD HERE IN LITTLE ROCK AND WENT OUTDOORS AND MY EYE WHICH HAD BEEN BLINKING SOME ON ITS OWN......FROZE UP. DID NOTHING. SCARED ME TO DEATH. WENT BACK IN AND WARMED UP AND MY EYE DID BETTER. ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR MAKING IT THROUGH THE WINTER? I'M DREADING IT AS IT IS HALTING MY PROGRESS.
ANGIE

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: BLINKING ON HIATUS DUE TO COLD WEATHER. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 05:09:50 pm »
I dont know it really does not blink when its cold... or just we feel it more with the cold air on our eye's because the blink is not right....

at any rate... the dont think cold air will halt the healing process. Maybe some of our Canada friends will say... I spend a week fishing every year in New Brunswick Canada, in some cold nasty weather every year.. for me... that was my turning point .. my first time back about 7+ months after surgery... still had a very bad facial problems yet I was back fishing .... life had returned to normal !!!!

Picture from that trip: (and my avatar)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 05:11:33 pm by Joef »
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 06:44:21 pm »
Angie,

The only suggestion I have is to go south for the winter.  It works for the birds.   ;D

I would definitely stay away from where Joef goes for vacation!  Looks a little chilly there!  I think that fish is actually already frozen!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:33:24 pm »
Barbados, baby.

I'll meet you there.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

bltfollis

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 08:26:00 am »
i know this may sound obsurd but maybe either ski goggles or some kind of wrap around sport goggle that keeps wind out heat in and most of all does not fog with decreasing temp hope i was helpful
bill from philaelphia

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 10:57:57 am »
Yeah Lori,
That fish looks a little uncomfortable. And the fish eye looks a little like mine. Frozen cold!
Angie

calimama

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:47:22 pm »
Oh no...winter is coming to us and we have some nasty cold here in Jan-Feb (nothing for it to be minus 20C or 30C). I think i will invest in some ski googles for the great outdoors.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 08:03:45 am »
Trish go to the Harley store and buy some googles. I have them for the boat and may use them in the winter. Oh and the foam in my glasses would be awesome for you Trish. It is under eyewear if you are interested. It truly has made me life (and eye) easier. One less thing to worry about outdoors. Oh who is kidding who I also wear them watching TV and on the computer.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

calimama

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 12:29:43 pm »
Hey Michelle,

You are obviously too cool... getting googles at the "Harlety Store" (you know they sell them at walmart too!  ;)
I will have to get something (motorcycle or ski googles) for the winter. I like to be outside as much as i can, regardless of the conditions, so I need to think about how to protect my eye in -30C (and horrible wind chills).

I wonder how cool i can make all of this look??!  :D

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:53 pm »
Trish that is cool that you can get them at Walmart and I bet a lot cheaper.
Go to my link eyewear http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=7688.0 and check it out - I do yard duty with the wind and snow blowing and it works so well and I don't look too dorky.
Hey is your paraysis right or left? I got lots of right foam leftover cause they come in pairs (now you can order just one or the other). I use the lefts. 
Let me know and I will send them to you.
Michelle  ;D

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 05:05:00 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 02:44:41 pm »
And, if all else fails, there is always the ever-stylish onion goggle!

Debbi, sporting cool eyeware...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

calimama

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:39:45 pm »
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for foam offer... but my AN was left-sided too. But thanks.

My last think is i found some safety glasses at the Depot. They are actually sort of cool/trendy looking (not sure they would even a suit a guy) with tint and UV protection. They wrap around and fit pretty well, but they are plastic, so there is not a real seal. I am where these outside now (with ointment before heading out) instead of patch. I feel almost human again!!!!!!!

I will see the opthamologist again in 2 weeks so hopefully she says i am doing a good job with my eye or might have to be become and onion goggled harley chick like you and Debbi  :D

Thanks!