Author Topic: Paul Eric Hammerschlag, NYU  (Read 7397 times)

apostol

Paul Eric Hammerschlag, NYU
« on: November 10, 2008, 06:07:59 pm »
has anyone had any experience with Dr. Hammerschlag out of NYU?  We have met with and intend on proceeding with surgery with Dr. Golfinos and Dr. Roland.  Our insurance covers Golfinos but not Roland and they are insisting we see Dr. Hammerschlag - I haven't heard anything about him and wondered if anyone had met with him or had surgery with him.  Our intention is to meet with him and fight that we aren't comfortable with him and would like to proceed with the Golfinos / Roland team.  But we would appreciate any input to help make this decision. 

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: Paul Eric Hammerschlag, NYU
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:21:08 pm »
I think that's who Wendysig had her surgery with.  Look for her threads.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

ennayram

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:06:28 pm »
Have you discussed the insurance issue with Donna in Dr. Roland's office? Dr. Roland may agree to take whatever amount your insurance company was willing to pay Dr. Hammerschlag.  If not, maybe you might just have to pay a little extra to Dr. Roland on top of what your insurance will pay. Dr. Roland and Dr. Golfinos have worked as a team for a long time and they are superb. I've recommended Dr. Roland on a number of occasions and people have thanked me for many years following their surgeries. I have never heard of Dr. Hammerschlag, but perhaps he is very good. His profile reads well. Have you asked him how many AN surgeries he has done?

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »
I'd fight the insurance company on this.  Roland and Golfinos do this surgery together all the time (they did mine in April) and I believe they've been doing it for 10 years.   We had Golfinos office contact the insurance company and his office was able to get Aetna to cover Roland even though he isn't in our plan and we don't have any out-of-network coverage.  I still see Dr. Roland for the facial issues and we pay out of pocket now, although at a reduced rate.  I really think, however, that if you ask Golfinos office, they will take up the fight with insurance on your behalf. 

Golfinos and Roland are a terrific team and I hope that you are able to get them both covered.  PM me if you have any questions, okay?

Debbi, Golfinos/Roland alumni
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

kdet

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 10:04:17 am »

I have know Dr. Hammerschlag for 25 years.  He did a hypoglossal anastomis on me in 1983.  He also operated on my son several times to help with his cleft lip and palate.  He is a very caring and thoughtful doctor.  I trust him. 

apostol

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 03:26:18 pm »
Thank you all for your input.   Dr. Roland did agree to take the rate of an in network doctor and Aetna still denied.  I have appealed with th Joint Health Insurance Fund of my employer and they approved the appeal but we are still having difficulty with the hospital approving his admission.   My husband's sugery has now been postponed until Monday pending authorization. 

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 03:29:36 pm »
Oh, how frustrating.  I'll keep fingers crossed and prayers coming your way.  At this point, I am sure you and your husband would just like to get this behind you.  Let us know how he is after surgery, okay?  And, don't hesitate to send me a PM if there's anything I can do.

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

apostol

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 06:40:01 am »
well it looks like we finally have authorization and surgery will take place on Monday.  Thanks for all your input and let's pray for a positive outcome!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 02:48:12 pm »
If things with Drs Roland and Golfinos go as usual, your husband should be ready to leave the hospital in another couple of days.  Hope you can post and let me know how he is doing.  Glad you were able to get things straightened out with insurance - what a pain!  Sending good thoughts your way...

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

apostol

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 06:07:57 am »
Happy Thanksgiving!  We are still here in NY, surgery went well on Monday and he is slowly getting better.  The facial nerve was not comprimised during surgery, it was stretched by the tumor and he does have a little bit of facial weakness but it's not bad and should go back to normal.  As for the hearing we aren't sure - when the doctors tested the nerve they didn't get any response but the nerve was not cut or damaged during surgery and he was at 70% hearing before surgery.  So time will tell.  For him the dizziness is the worst.  They wanted him to get up and walk a bit and sit in a chair yesterday but he was too dizzy to do so - he could only stand long enough to to go to the bathroom.  Hopefully he see more improvement today and we hope to go home tomorrow.

jtd71465

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 06:20:55 pm »
Great to hear all is fine.  Tell Roland and Golfinos I said hello, the road to recovery has started....try to take it slow.

If you need anything just reach out...

Joe-
Right side AN removed 1/10/07 @ NYU Medical Center
Dr's Roland and Golfinos

wcrimi

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 02:07:25 pm »
Glad to hear went well on the insurance and surgery front.   ;D
1 cm, 6mm, 4mm on Left side. Surgery performed 11/6/2008 by Dr. Kalmon Post and Eric Smouha at Mt. Sinai Hospital in NYC.
Normal hearing before, 85%-90% now, dizziness when walking or turning head, annoying hissing and high pitched tinnitus on and off, eyes have trouble adjusting to rapid head move

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2008, 03:04:32 pm »
Thanks for the update!  Hopefully you are home by now.  Let us know how he's doing, okay?

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

apostol

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 01:33:33 pm »
Just wanted to share a postivie outcome.  It's been about 10 weeks since my husband's surgery and he is doing great.  Aside from the hearing loss in the affected ear he is just about back to his normal self.  You would never know he had just recently been through such a major procedure. He is just as active as he was prior.  Facial weakness is just about gone, no headaches or dizziness to speak of.  We are so relieved and so grateful to the doctors for such a great outcome.  I just wanted to share our story to let people know there is hope to come throuh AN surgery with little or no complications.

sgerrard

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 09:52:39 pm »
Thanks for the update. We always like good news. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.