Author Topic: Update on Nancy Drew's GK  (Read 8247 times)

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Update on Nancy Drew's GK
« on: October 23, 2008, 02:09:21 pm »
Hi everyone,

Well, I made it through GK, and I am happy to report that my hearing seems to be fine.  I think I came out with what I went in with.  I have had some ups and downs, but I am pretty sure my GK was successful.  I guess time will tell.  The doctors were great, the head frame wasn't that bad, and I was in the GK machine for only 27 minutes.  After the head frame was removed, I was stable enough to leave the GK center after 10 minutes.  I even walked up the four flights of stairs in the parking garage to get to the car with no problems.  The first stop on the way home was at a 7-11 down the street from the GK center.  I walked in and got my diet coke, and I just knew right then and there that I was going to be fine.  I am only two days out, but I am feeling very positive at this point.  I know there is a possibility of some things coming up down the road, but I am just trying to live in the moment.

Thanks to all of you for your support. 

Nancy ;D ;D ;D

12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
Re: Update on Nancy Drew's GK
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 02:26:42 pm »
Yippee!  So glad everything went well for you and that you are feeling positive about your experience.  Awesome!!
 ;D ;D ;D

Sue in Vancouver USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 02:55:03 pm »
Nancy,

a VERY hearty congrats to you, you "postie toastie" :)  (I know you were waiting on that title, eh? :) )

Onward and upward now...to continued wellness!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 03:23:04 pm »
Nancy:

Most of us are well aware of the angst you went through deciding on treatment, doctor and facility.  That all seems so far away, now.  I believe many prayers were being answered as you completed the GammaKnife treatment smoothly and, apparently, without any real complications to speak of.  I'm very happy for you and pray that your recovery will be trouble-free, quick and complete. 

As for our support, that was always a given and of course, you're very welcome to it.  Now, I urge you to relax and enjoy your post-tostie status.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Kaybo

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 04:26:48 pm »
Nancy Drew~
A well-deserved WHOO-HOO for you!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

sgerrard

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 08:15:58 pm »
I walked in and got my diet coke, and I just knew right then and there that I was going to be fine. 

Gut talking to you again, I see.  ;)

I also like the bit about walking up four flights of stairs in the parking garage, 10 minutes after your treatment. They were not exactly coddling you, I guess.  :D

I have been watching for your post, it is great to hear that you are done, you can still hear, and you feel like it went well.

Congratulations. May your first six months go reasonably smoothly, and may your future MRIs be dull and boring.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:51 pm »
Congratulations, Nancy.

Glad your GK is over  :)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

wendysig

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 06:48:02 am »
Nancy,
Great news on your GK treatment!  With a positive attitude like yours I'm sure you'll be fine -- congratulations!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 12:19:49 pm »
Congrats, Nancy!  Now, on to the next chapter of your life!!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Nancy Drew

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 04:13:06 pm »
Hi!

Thanks to all of you for your kind words.  I am a little worried today.  I walked seven miles with a friend, and I held up better than she did.  Is it normal to get a burst of energy like that after being zapped?  It was nice to get out, and it was a beautiful day here in CO.  My hearing still seems to be the same as before GK, but I notice that the tinnitus is a little louder at times.  I have some slight ear pain, but Tylenol works well (Advil didn't do the job)  I keep waiting for something "bad" to happen.  Is this normal?  Seems like everything is just going too well---not that I am wishing for anything bad to come up. 

The only bad thing I can say about the GK procedure was when they gave me the "happy" medication (Versed) in my IV.  It had the opposite effect.  I did great when they put the head frame on (so, people don't freak out about it), but I cried from the time they put me in the MRI machine until they rolled me out of the GK machine.  The doctor said I must have had an adverse reaction to the medication.  Thanks goodness for a supportive team of doctors.  They really were like cheerleaders, and I made it through it quite well, tears and all!!!

Again, thanks to all of you for your support.  You guys have been my cheerleaders also!

Nancy ;D ;D ;D

06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

pauline

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 05:06:03 pm »
I am so happy for you!  Your great story, which I have followed for a while, sounds
like you are in a new happy chapter of your life.  I pray for continued success for you.
It makes me feel great as I watch and wait!!!

Pauline
Pianist & Piano Teacher
Diagnosed 6/27/08
Watch and Wait

sgerrard

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 10:46:49 pm »
I keep waiting for something "bad" to happen.  Is this normal?  Seems like everything is just going too well---

I will risk getting in trouble with you, and say "it sounds normal for you."  ;D

I think it is a combination of elation that the treatment is over with, and the fact that radiation doesn't necessarily do anything right away. With a larger AN, you might have felt more of a wallop from it, but most of the effects take time to take hold. Your AN doesn't know yet that it is a goner.

You may feel some fatigue and/or lack of concentration when you get back into work. I suspect you will get a reminder that you had radiation treatment in a few months (in case you forget), but with a small AN like yours, I would be surprised if it gives you much trouble. If you can hang on to your hearing, you will have aced this thing.

Enjoy your energy!

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

fbarbera

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:58:48 pm »
Congrats Nancy Drew.  they'll likely be some strange sensations but on the whole, you'll be just fine.  Welcome to the other side!

Nancy Drew

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 01:29:37 pm »
Steve,

I like that word "normal".  You are off the hook with me!!!  Sometimes I think, "Did they really give me radiation?"  It makes sense about the elation of the treatment being over with.  I was definitely a "nut" case during the whole process of deciding and waiting.  I was really tired last night, but I walked a slow two miles this morning.  I think it is probably best to pace myself.

Since I have felt so good after GK, I feel sort of guilty that people have sent flowers, brought over food and magazines, etc.  Seems like I should have at least been off my feet for awhile to justify their kindness.  Sure would love to have some more food coming in though!!! 

Nancy ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 01:38:09 pm by Nancy Drew »
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 01:59:15 pm »
I am a little worried today.  I walked seven miles with a friend, and I held up better than she did.  Is it normal to get a burst of energy like that after being zapped?   My hearing still seems to be the same as before GK, but I notice that the tinnitus is a little louder at times.  I have some slight ear pain, but Tylenol works well (Advil didn't do the job)  I keep waiting for something "bad" to happen.  Is this normal?  Seems like everything is just going too well---not that I am wishing for anything bad to come up. 

Nancy ;D ;D ;D

We are all never quite sure what to expect after our treatment choices, so oftentimes our capabillities supercede our expectations of what might be.  Enjoy the "normal state" of things.

Kate
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/