Author Topic: Update on Nancy Drew's GK  (Read 8248 times)

sgerrard

Re: Update on Nancy Drew's GK
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »
Hi Nancy,

I agree, the hearing tests get pretty inane. It seemed to me that when they wanted to test my word recognition with the hearing aid in, they suddenly found a new word list with only simple short words like "cat" and "ball." I think the ambient noise (people talking, etc) is okay on a word test, just not on the tone testing part. I don't think they  can really measure your hearing better than the nearest 5% or 10%, at least it seems that way to me.

My hearing aid is okay, I have thought about getting it adjusted, but I will probably just wait till March, when it will be one year. I am used to it now, and it is not perfect, but it helps in a lot of situations. Some days it definitely seems weaker than other days, so maybe my hearing is fluctuating too. I still hit the Ibuprofen now and then, when it feels like it is plugging up again. To be honest, I suspect you will have a few more bumps to get through before you can feel you are comfortably in the "don't worry so much" zone. But you will get there. I think you are in a good position, because the hearing in your AN ear was so good to start with, and you caught the AN early.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
Re: Update on Nancy Drew's GK
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2008, 12:45:17 pm »
Hi Steve,

I find that I am getting less young, too!  Bummer!  Yes, I feel fortunate that my AN was found early, and that my hearing was good at the time of GK and still is at this point.  I am curious about the bumps still to come as you mentioned.  I am feeling better for the most part, but I do notice that my engery has not come back to the level where it was pre-GK, and I am having some minor bouts of depression.  Wonder if that has to do with the steroids I took.  I have read here on the board that many people actually like being on steroids....gives them lots of energy.  It did the opposite for me.  Those six days I was on them, I felt on edge...mentally and physically.  Hopefully I won't have to go that route again.  Sounds like the OTC stuff is working well for you.  I will keep that in mind if a hearing issue comes up again.  And, I am going to try to work really hard on not "overreacting" to every little thing that comes up.  Thanks for your posts.  Always helpful.

Nancy

12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs