Author Topic: Holiday Cookie Recipes  (Read 28128 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Holiday Cookie Recipes
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:20 pm »
Hi Sue and anyone else wondering what mixed peel is. It is chopped orange and l lemon peel. I can buy this already chopped in round plastic containers usually in the baking isle .
I hope you can find this.
Donnalynn

Donna Lynn,
What combination do you use in the bon bon"s ?  More orange or more lemon or equal parts of both? They sound tasty.
Kate
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:21:32 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 06:43:10 am »
Steve, I'm curious about the hats. Do you knit them on needles or use a circular loom? My daughters got hooked on the looms after I got them for Christmas presents last year.

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 08:02:22 am »
*a-hem*

I think Steve would prefer whichever is the SIMPLEST to learn...  ::)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 09:29:12 am »
I don't have any recipes to share - don't bake much..ok, not at all, my family will tell you.  But I do EAT cookies.  So, like Lori, I will volunteer to be a taste-tester for you guys!  Send 'em on down here to Atlanta as well as Nashville.  You know, ya'll could also whip up some home-made candies.  Can't wait!

cindy

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 10:41:25 am »
Hi Dessert Lovers,

The following recipes are some of the best I have.  Warning: Butter and Sugar dead ahead.  Proceed with caution.   ;)

Okay, I went through my pile of recipes and found this Sugar Cookie recipe.  Last year I wanted to make good sugar cookies and I tried a few recipes.  I wasn't happy with them. At all.  So, I called my girlfriend, which I should have just done in the first place, because she makes really nice cut out sugar cookies.  She said she uses her mother's recipe.  So this is it. 

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup butter
3/4 cups sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. almond extract

Cream the butter and the sugar until mixed well, add the egg and extract.  Mix the flour and baking powder and then add to wet ingredients.  Bake @ 350 for 12 - 14 minutes.  She rolls the dough to about 1/2" thick.

She did really give me the mixing instructions, but that's usually the way most recipes read.  I did not sift the flour 

I think that's the reason my cookies never work very well, is because I tend to roll them too thin.  My friend frosts and decorates her cookies really pretty, and I've learned that I don't do that as nicely as I'd like, so I just give them a thin coat of icing and then add sprinkles or something like that.  I don't have the patience or the expertise to do nice decorated sugar cookies.   Drop cookies are more my forte'.  I made Paula Deen's Loaded Oatmeal Cookies one year for Christmas and I thought they were great!  Add a bit of rum flavoring to the glaze for the cookies. Yum! Rum!  These are tender, soft oatmeal cookies.  I thought these tasted really good.  But then why wouldn't they...it's all about the butter! HA ;)

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/paulas-loaded-oatmeal-cookies-recipe2/index.html

It's a terrible irony that the same Christmas I finally got my beautiful Kitchen Aid mixer is right when I was told I was a Type 2 Diabetic.  No Fair!!  But then, I'd be fatter than a pig if I hadn't been told that, what with that new toy to use and all.  But I enjoy using my mixer, because it's so nice to have one like this finally, and I give cookies to the neighbors, or send them off to my husband's office.  Okay, I eat a few, too!  Gotta make sure they are edible. But, just two or three, not a dozen.

Okay, bakers!  If you want to do this recipe someday, I guarantee that you will love it!  This is tender and elegant with just a wonderful hint of lavender.  I've made and given this cake away many times.  I use 1 tablespoon of dried lavender flowers that you can get at stores like Whole Foods.  I think this recipe says dried lavender leaves, but it's actually the dried flowers that you use.  It's a keeper!  And believe me, if I can make this come out okay, you can too, because I'm not that great of a cook.  We had a lavender tea cake at a tea house on my birthday a few years ago and we thought - wow, this is great.  I went on-line and found this recipe and have been making it ever since.  I went to a store here called Wild Oats that sells the lavender.

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1157608

And then, this recipe is to die for.  Which I would, if I could eat as much of this as I would like to. Guaranteed to raise your blood sugar right into the stratosphere.  On a stormy, cold winter's day, whip this up and serve this freshly made and still a bit warm from the oven with real whipped cream, and watch your family and friends melt into the ultimate comfort food:

Sticky Toffee Pudding

http://www.oprah.com/recipe/omagazine/recipes/food_200503_pudding

If you have to call 911, I don't want to hear about it!! ;D ;)

All things in moderation,

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Cheryl R

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 11:13:13 am »
Has anyone tried Paula Deens Gooey Butter  Cake?            It sounds so good but with a million calories and am sure not good for the cholesterol.               I splurge and buy her food magazines.   I made a Boston Creme Cupcake from one and had the best filling.
I need to hunt up my pepparkaka cookie recipe.            It is one daughters favorite.
   The sugar cookie recipe sounds good and wrote it down.
                                                  Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 11:31:45 am »
None of Paula Deen's treats are good for the cholesterol!!   ::)

I made her Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding once.  Delicious.  That's great for a pot luck or big family party, because it's a lot of pudding.

Sue in Vancouver, USA
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Cheryl R

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:59 am »
    These are very good
                               Swedish Pepparkaka

2/3 cup brown sugar
            2/3 cup dark syrup, Karo or molasses
            1 1/2 tsp ginger
             1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
              1/2 tsp cloves
             3/4 tablespoon baking soda
              2/3 cup butter or margarine
              1 egg
               5 cups flour

Heat the sugar,syrup,and spices to the boiling point.     Add the baking soda and then pour the heated mixture over the butter and stir well until the butter melts.  Add the egg and the flour and mix well.     Chill an hour,roll out and cut into rounds with a small juice glass.  Press with a stamp.   Bake for 8-10 at 325                 Dough can get tough if handled too much.
     I rolled mine out and used holiday cookie cutters and then frosted them and works well too.
      Good to make these ahead as taste better over time.

Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

mema

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2008, 03:47:49 pm »
Cheryl,

In Philadelphia every corner has a corner bakery.  Butter cake, the gooey kind was my favorite.  Since I moved from Philadelphia 24 years ago,  I miss my butter cake.  Do you have the receipe for Paul deens gooey butter cake.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Cheryl R

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2008, 08:25:28 pm »
Hi mema.         Just go to Paula Deens website.     www.pauladeen.com      if it's allowed here      and there her 10 best recipes are listed  and it is one of them.    I think there is a recipe search possibly and it could be there too if any variations of it is needed.
                                Good luck,       Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2008, 10:07:03 pm »
Hi Dessert Lovers,

The following recipes are some of the best I have.  Warning: Butter and Sugar dead ahead.  Proceed with caution.   ;)

All things in moderation,

Sue in Vancouver, USA

Wow! These recipes sound delish. This is quite a talented group.  I've never used lavender in a tea cake and finally a good sugar cookie recipe.

Yummy yummy yummy I'll soon have dessert in my tummy...

Kate
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 10:36:34 pm by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2008, 01:11:34 am »
You won't regret trying the Lavender Tea Cake, Kate.  It's delightful.  Just be careful and don't overdo the lavender. One tablespoon is all you need.  And that's an even one, not a heaping one!  Otherwise, it might be a bit strong.  But, it's a really nice treat and wonderful with some fragrant, good tea.  I'm making myself hungry!   Try it, you'll like it.

And that Sticky Toffee Pudding is ---- a taste sensation for me.  I just loved it.  Hard to just have a small portion for me!  But, I didn't even make it all last winter, so maybe I can have it this winter.  And don't forget - chocolate lovers -    try the recipe on the back of the Nestle's Cocoa - and for a special chocolate cake use the Nestle's Special Dark Cocoa.  It's sinfully delicious. Add some raspberries and whipped cream, and you have a terrific company dessert. It would be great for Christmas too. 

I have really enjoyed my mixer and trying to make new things.  Unfortunately, the things that are fun to make, are only good for the soul and not necessarily good for the body.  Mankind should never have discovered sugar!  But it's not all refined sugar that causes problems.  My dentist goes on a church sponsored trip every year or so and helps the very poor people in Indonesia or somewhere like that.  He had to fly to Jakarta and then take some little 8 hour flight out of there to get to the remote area of the country.  The kids suck on sugar cane all day long and most of the adults have lost all of their teeth!  So, the church or whoever is trying to help with medical and dental hygiene and teaching them to care for their teeth.  He was telling me about his trip when I saw him for my check-up.  He was really out in the remote, poorest part of that country. 

Part of my vision of Heaven entails an endless dessert buffet with no consequences!  ;D ;D  And Paula Deen will be serving it all up with a smile!  ;)

Sue in Vancouver

Actually, Ina Garten makes some mean desserts too.  Her coconut cupcakes with cream cheese frosting  is really good. My neighbor made them once.  Yummmm

http://myhusbandhatesveggies.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/freakishly-delicious-ina-gartens-coconut-cupcakes/
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side

Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2008, 06:44:26 am »
Here are one of the cookies I make yearly. They have become my sons' favorite.  I originally found the recipe in a Family Circle magazine (circa 1983).

CHOCOLATE CHIP PISTACHIO COOKIES

3 1/4 cups sifted flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter,softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 TBSP milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (pecans  or almonds work too!)
3 1/4 oz pckge pistachio flavored instant pudding ( I use Jello Brand)
2-3 drops green food coloring
6 oz semis sweet chocolate chips ( I prefer minis for the batter)
1/4 cup regular sized chocolate chips for top decoration

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Sift flour, baking powder and salt onto waxed paper. Beat butter, and sugar in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs, milk and vanilla: blend until creamy.  Add flour mixture.  Mix until stiff dough forms. Remove 1/4-1/3 cup dough to a small bowl.  Add chopped nuts to this small portion of batter. (nut-dough)

Next, add pudding mix to the remaining dough.  Add mini chips until you have the amount you like in the "Pistachio" batter.
Shape rounded teaspoonfuls of pistachio dough into balls.  (They don't spread much when cooking)  Flatten with a drinking glass covered with waxed paper at the bottom.

Then shape a marble-sized piece of nut-dough and place on top of the flattened pistachio dough.  Decorate the nut dough with one regular sized chocolate chip.  Bake 8-10 minutes or until set...these cookies do not brown.  Cool on rack.

These cookies not only taste yummy, they look festive.

Enjoy..my family favorite passed on to all of you.

Kate
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:12:05 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2008, 07:31:53 am »
                                      LEMON DROP COOKIES
(These are those chunky, soft cookies with the lemon icing on top) It's an Italian Cookie.

Cookie Dough
2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla

Cream the above.

Drain 1 pound of ricotta cheese
3 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 cups flour added 1 cup at a time

Mix all of the above with the creamed mixture.  Drop on cookie sheet (They are a mound).
Bake at 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes or until light in color)

Frosting
2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
1 1/2 tsp lemon extract
3 TBSP milk

Mix until smooth.
Dip cooled cookies.

Makes 5 dozen.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:34:23 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2008, 07:43:18 am »
One more...This is a bar cookie..simple to make with two of my favorite cookie flavors..chocolate and raspberry.
                                             CHOCOLATE RASPBERRY CRUMB BARS

1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teas. salt
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk (can use fat-free)
1 3/4 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam (or more)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Beat in flour, brown sugar and salt until well mixed. It should be crumbly not like dough.

Press 1 3/4 cups crumb mixture into bottom of greased 13 x 9 pan; reserve remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are golden brown.

Combine 1 cup chocolate chips and the milk in a small, heavy duty sauce pan. Melt over low heat stirring until smooth. Spread over hot crust.

Stir in nuts (if using) to crumb mixture; sprinkle over chocolate filling. Drop teaspoons of jam over crumb mixture. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is set. Cool completely on a wire rack.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 07:45:49 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN