Author Topic: Holiday Cookie Recipes  (Read 28184 times)

Kate B

• AN World
Re: Holiday Cookie Recipes
« Reply #75 on: December 26, 2009, 07:48:35 pm »

I hope this picture works,  I googled the Betty Crocker Cookies and  tried cuting and pasting a picture of the candy cane cookies.

Ginger

Awesome!  Thank you for pictures.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2010, 09:18:15 pm »
New Year Resolution recipie,

1 cup of Air Pudding
top with heaping spoonfull of bubble sauce

zero callories, zero tase, zero satisfaction, but great for the waistline

patti ut
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

Jill Marie

« Reply #77 on: November 18, 2010, 09:47:44 pm »
Last Saturday I cleaned the oven, tonight I bought the ingredients for pumpkin pie & pumpkin bread, LET THE BAKING BEGIN!!  I don't generally make cookies at Christmas but if someone posts a recipe I fall in love with I will give it a try.  My oldest son & I are all about tradition but since my husband and youngest son are all about trying new things I'm trying to find a middle ground.  For the last couple of years I've been sending goody packages for Christmas in lieu of gifts my family doesn't really want so I've been sending my usual pumpkin bread, party mix, popcorn balls and something new.  Will read back through the thread and see if there's something I would like to try  that ships well or perhaps someone will post something I can try.  All I want for Christmas this year is more TIME, so I can bake all I want and ship packages to lot & lots of family & friends.  Jill 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2010, 10:41:04 am »
The cooler weather and holiday season has me really wanting to cook/bake.  Does anyone have a good shortbread cookie recipe?  I love shortbread, but haven't tried my hand at a traditional recipe.  I know one of my former parents at school is British, and she said she used some rice flour in her recipe. Any thoughts?

Priscilla
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 08:56:47 am by msmaggie »
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jill Marie

« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2010, 11:24:43 pm »
Hi Donnalynn,

Here's the popcorn ball recipe, I actually posted it a couple of years ago so it was easy to find and post again!

I'm guessing it's a pretty standard recipe but the important part is to not cook the syrup to as high a temperature as the cook books tells you too.  You want soft popcorn balls you can eat, not baseballs!

Popcorn Balls

2 Cups sugar
2/3 cup Karo syrup
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup butter
1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

Put in saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat.  Then at medium tell it reaches 245 degrees.  Stir in the vanilla after it reaches 245 degrees.  Take off stove and put on popcorn.  Add coloring if desired, for Christmas of course we use red (use lots or they turn out pink, my favorite color) for one batch and green for the other.  We use to make popcorn balls on Christmas Eve, it kept us kids busy so we didn't think so much about the presents under the tree.  The kids can help pop the corn, the older ones can help with the syrup and everyone can form the balls.  We butter our hands then dip them in cool water so the syrup doesn't burn your hands or stick to you as you make the balls.  If memory serves me correctly we make about 3 batches of popcorn in an air popper per batch of syrup.  If you don't have a candy thermometer or even if you do I water test the syrup to make sure it's ready,  drop a bit of syrup in a cold cup of water and if the syrup gels together it's ready, if it melts away cook it a bit longer, if you cooked it to long and the syrup is hard you can use the popcorn balls for baseball practice and make another batch, thermometers aren't always right!  Enjoy!

Party Mix

3 Cups Corn Chex cereal
3 Cups Rice  Chex
3 Cups Wheat Chex
1 Cup mixed Nuts
1 Cup bit-size pretzels
1 Cup garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips
6 Tbs. margarine or butter
2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 t. seasoned salt
3/4 garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder

Heat oven to 250 degrees. In ungreased large roasting pan, melt butter in oven.  Stir in seasonings.  Gradually stir in remaining ingredients until evenly coated.  Bake 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.  Spread on paper towels to cool, about 15 minutes.  Jill Notes:  I always use margarine, I don't care for butter.  Different brands of Worcestershire sauces & seasoned salts will make the party mix taste different, if you have a favorite when cooking stick with it.  I don't use pretzels as they don't seem to taste any different in the mix then in the bag.  I use peanuts instead of mixed nuts, family prefers that.  I don't always use the bagel chips.  The great thing about party mix is you can pick out the parts you like when eating it or you can make the party mix to each persons liking.  I sometimes use cheerios(put them in last before you bake as they tend to burn if stuck on the bottom) and or cornuts.  A guy at work has to eat gluten free things so I make the party mix without the wheat chex, then he is able to reach in and grab a handful instead of worrying about what he eats.  As for the spices, as I mentioned before my youngest likes to experiment with baking so he got me to add more of everything, so after I measure, I pour in a bit more Worcestershire sauce and sprinkle in some more seasoning salt and garlic powder.  Play with it batch by batch and see what everyone likes! 

I made your delicious bon bon Christmas cakes two Christmas's ago, I gave them away and my husband took them to work. I lucked out and found the muffin papers at Kmart while getting Ziploc containers for the party mix.  My husband loves fruit cake so I made the bon bons for him.  He also loves ginger cookies, I've never made them so could you please post the recipe for me.  You bon bon recipe is on the first page of this thread for others that would like to give it a try. 

Priscilla, I don't have a shortbread cookie recipe for you but I do have a Vanilla Crisp recipe you might want to try.   My Mom loved the shortbread cookies that the Girl Scouts sell and her ultimate favorite cookie was sugar cookies that we made every Christmas and cut into Holiday shapes and then frosted. I don't have that recipe because although I loved to make them I didn't like to eat them.  When I went off to college I found this recipe that was easy to make and she loved it, she was a cookie connoisseur. 

Vanilla Crisps

1/2 Cup margarine
1/2 Cup shortening
1 Cup granulated sugar
2 t. vanilla
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour

Cream margarine, shortening and sugar.  Add vanilla and 1/2 t. salt.  Add eggs, beating well.  Stir in flour: mix well.  Drop from teaspoon 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  (Or chill dough; shape into 1-inch balls.)  Flatten with floured glass.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.  Remove immediately and cool on rack. 

That's it for tonight, going to help my hubby do outside work tomorrow before the really cold weather hits Sunday, will bake and warm the house then, Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2010, 09:23:56 am »
Priscilla, here is a shortbread recipe with rice flour: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1610,150161-248200,00.html
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2010, 09:35:45 am »
Many thanks, ladies, for your suggestions.  If I can get my house cleaning chores out of the way today, I will start on the fun stuff-baking-tomorrow.  Can't wait!
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Jill Marie

« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2010, 12:12:23 am »
BAH - HUMBUG!!!  If things don't change quickly, like tomorrow, I'm canceling Christmas!! Sunday I put up the outside lights, I know this isn't baking related but I'll get there.  Anyway, I always lay the lights out in the living room to make sure they are working, decided to save some time this year and just put them up as they are always fine, this year of course one string doesn't work, hopefully it's just a fuse, will check it out this weekend when I have some daylight to do it.  Last night I baked some german chocolate brownies for my sons military buddy that is headed to North Carolina, he has 2700 miles to go so I wanted to send him some goodies to help him survive the trip.  His mother passed away 15 years ago and he hasn't seen his Dad in years, thought he could use some special attention especially with the Holidays upon us.  The brownies turned out great, had the oven at 350 so I turned it off in preparation for the party mix which bakes at 250, melted the butter while the oven was still warm then put the party mix together, put the mix in the oven and started to bake, stirred it 15 minutes later and then again and again, every 15 minutes for 45 minutes, wondered why it wasn't baking like it should, that's when I realized I didn't turn the oven back on.  The party mix turned out fine but it kept me up an hour past the time I should have been in bed.  Tonight I made some pumpkin bread to go with the other goodies for my sons friend.  I put in 1 cup shortening, 4 cups sugar, 1 can pumpkin, 6 eggs and 3 cups water, went to put in the flour and realized that the water should have been only 1 cup, didn't have a bowl big enough to triple the batch and only had 5 eggs left so couldn't do it if I wanted to, which I didn't, would be up tell midnight at that rate. So, I reluctantly dumped all that food/money down the drain and started over.  I told myself that at least I hadn't added the flour or spices before I realized my mistake.  If all my Christmas plans go this way I'm in trouble!  Jill  P.S. Going out to shovel snow to relief the stress of baking!

Kaybo

« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2010, 08:23:03 am »
JM~
Sam's  (& I think I saw it at HEB too) has a wonderful pumpkin bread with everything (even canned pumpkin) in a box to assemble - all you add is water, oil & eggs.  Kendie, Addi & I LOVE it!! I actually throw in some semi-sweet chocolate chips as my FAVORITE bread from Great Harvest Bread is Pumpkin Chocolate Chip so I tried it!

K   ;D
*the girl who takes the easy way!*
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:48 am »
Hi Kay, I posted a reply the other day, guess it got lost in the crash!  Speaking of CRASHES!!!  The post I made said I was ready to get back on the horse and ride, bought 5 more big cans of pumpkin and 15 boxes of chex cereals, etc. for party mix.  Kay I need a recipe with water included so I don't screw that up again, he, he.  Anyway,  I did lots of baking Sunday and my husband and son made Rum Balls, Whiskey Balls & Moonshine Balls, they are chilling now will let you know how they turn out.  Tonight after work I made dinner real quick so I could get started on decorating.  I was putting things that are on my shelves somewhere else so I could dust and decorate.  We have some shelves over our bed so I put things there like I always do, just as I went to move something the shelf CRASHED, breaking the pottery bowls my sister-in-law made for us, chipping a Beer Stein our son got while in Germany and breaking a fish bowl full of gravel.  We finally got the shelf back up and the mess cleaned up just in time for bed.  I'm trying to relax a bit then off to sleep.  The Christmas Curse on Jill continues!   >:(