Author Topic: Small world  (Read 3370 times)

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
Small world
« on: December 01, 2010, 07:57:45 pm »
I am, as most of you know, recently retired from teaching, but I still tutor one day a week.  Today as I was leaving school, one of my former dads stopped me to ask whether my previous surgery was for an AN.  I vaguely remember him telling me about some health concerns last year that would require an MRI and wondering at the time about the possibility that he actually had an AN.  Sure enough, today he told me he had been diagnosed with an AN!  We talked for a bit, but will have more conversations in the future about his options.  He already knew about House.  I love this family and am happy to be a support system for them.  Joe, if you are reading  this, I am so ready to hold your hand through all of this!  I told him about the forum.  :)

Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

Kaybo

Re: Small world
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 09:29:15 pm »
That is so great that you can be there for him!!  You will be so wonderful at guiding him on his journey.

;D

I would say I'd meet him but I don't want to frighten him - YIKES!  ;)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:11:48 am »
Kay,
The only thing frightening about you is all the energy you have...you are an amazing person.
Priscilla, I can't think of anyone I would rather have hold my hand through this journey...Joe is lucky to have you! 
I hope Joe gets all of the answers he is looking for and has a smooth transition from preezie (do you like my new word?) to postie!

Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

lori67

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:35:48 am »
Kay,
The only thing frightening about you is all the energy you have...you are an amazing person.

How true!!!   :D

Priscilla,

I think that's just great!  It's always amazing to be in the right place at the right time to be able to help someone.  I'm sure he realizes how lucky he is to have your support through this.

And Joe, if you are here - welcome and good luck!  You've got an awesome AN Buddy to walk beside you!  And the rest of us are pretty okay too!   ;)

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:58:54 am »
Priscilla .....

You will be such a wonderful support for Joe with your positive, upbeat attitude.

I firmly feel we are put in certain places at particular times so that we can help others or let them help us.  This has happened too many times in my life ..... both when I have been on the giving end and on the receiving end.

Best thoughts.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:46:45 pm »
Priscilla ~

AN serendipity strikes again!  I'm pleased to learn that you've encountered someone that you can 'mentor' through his AN experience  I've not had that opportunity except through these discussion forums but I assume that one day I'll meet someone who has just been diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma that I can advise and support, one-on-one.  I hope your acquaintance will venture into the ANA website (loaded with useful information) and register and post on the forums (loaded with caring, compassionate AN patients).  He'll enjoy a warm welcome.  Even if he chooses not to join us, I'm confident that you'll be a strong support for him.   

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

suboo73

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 04:19:34 am »
Kay,

How true!!!   :D

Priscilla,

I think that's just great!  It's always amazing to be in the right place at the right time to be able to help someone.  I'm sure he realizes how lucky he is to have your support through this.

And Joe, if you are here - welcome and good luck!  You've got an awesome AN Buddy to walk beside you!  And the rest of us are pretty okay too!   ;)

Lori

Priscilla,  Hi!  I am a little late to this party, but have to say that Joe is indeed a lucky guy. 
As my daughter said to me this weekend (while helping her roommate to Urgent Care), 'mom- i am just trying to pay it forward.'  I love that saying (and the movie!)

Brendalu - i like your new word!

And Joe, I will add my welcome as well.

Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W