Author Topic: Wii used to help with balance  (Read 15907 times)

lori67

Re: Wii used to help with balance
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 09:05:18 am »
I wonder if the "brain age" would register in triple digits?  I think that's where mine would be!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 02:20:15 pm »
Too bad medical insurance doesn't pay for a Wii for those who have balance problems associated with ANs.  We could only wish. 

Nancy ;D
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 06:50:08 pm »
I just called my daughter and asked if I could borrow her WII. I'm going to look online to see if I can find the WII Fit. I'm for anything that helps with my balance!!!
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

marg

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 12:38:40 am »
Nancy,  I have  a friend who is a nurse(and taught nursing) and she said if my PT  perscribed it .... it should be tax deductable.... worth a try.
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

cindyj

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 11:34:00 am »
Thanks for sharing this ya'll!  My son has a Wii, but not the Fit - I'll definitiely have to go look for it.  I'd like to start doing it some prior to my surgery, I think...

Thanks, I never would have thought of this,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 06:32:32 pm »
I just sent my PT an email asking if she would prescribe it for me. I'm borrowing my daughter's WII right now (still need to hook it up) but will get one of my own and look for the WII FIT too. With winter coming on (and it's nasty here - at least what I'm used to) going out for daily walks won't be a possibility for me. (I hate cold.)  ;)

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

Kaybo

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 10:11:21 pm »
Donnalynn~
We (the girlies) have them both - I like Wii a LOT better!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

JudyT

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2008, 11:33:33 am »
After reading all this good stuff about the Wii......I got it......this past Sunday. No Wii Fit though....all gone. I'm on the "hunt" The sports games are fun....I haven't tried them yet...but my grandchildren have....what fun it is. With the positive feedback from those who use them........I think we should be able to claim them as medical expense. I'm going to start on that after the holidays.....if a doctor prescribes it then it should a valid claim......one would think. They sent me to vestibular rehab....without getting any results........and it was a valid expense. We will see..........

Judy

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2009, 02:09:53 am »
My daughters bought me the Wii and the Wii fit for Christmas. I was very happy to see a Wii fit age of 47 (I'm 50). It really looks like a great way to workout and improve your balance in a fun way....not as much fun as surfing but when I can't get on the water I'll definitely spend some time on the Wii fit. The games are a lot of fun too....boxing in particular is a heck of a workout.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

marg

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2009, 03:09:06 pm »
Hi Cheri,
   The soccer is a challenge but just shift your weight from left leg to right leg...you don't need to move  your head at all ( I fell off the board too when I moved my head left and right  :D )
Enjoy your Wii.... I love it and I'm hoping for a new Will Fit 2  game down the line.
marg
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2009, 10:08:34 pm »
Hehe...the soccer was tough. I have problems with moving objects on screen anyway...add in trying to head the ball..... :o.  I only fell off once though, not too bad.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2009, 01:10:45 pm »
We got our Wii and the Fit for Christmas and I have been playing with it daily since then - LOVE it!  The balance exercises are great, but I also find the yoga to be very helpful with balance, too.  I still can't do the tree pose without hopping off the board, but I think it gets a tiny bit better each time I do it.

I also love the ski boarding - very hard but lots of fun.

Is there a FIT II on the horizon??

Debbi, recent Wii Fit addict...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

JudyT

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 08:58:49 am »
Hi everybody..........I'm DOING it........it works! Geeeeez I'm happy. Those laughing grandkids were taking my picture last night and literally cheering me on.....I only have sports edition but searching for Wii fit. My grandson supports me....gets me going.....and then lets go of me....baseball is my best. I am his biggest fan at baseball...started working with him at 2.....now he's MVP every year he's 14. He is now my coach.....I can't do any of the stuff I've taught him and he yells at me like I still do him....."You're swinging late Nanny etc" SOOOOOO fun! It was definitely worth the expense. My son is building me a safety device so I don't fall when alone.......good idea. Kind of like a harness device mounted from the ceiling. I am VERY optimistic about the Wii.
Good luck everybody!

Judy

marg

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2009, 08:26:29 pm »
Great Judy !
      After about 3 weeks I noticed that I didn't have to think about my balance every moment I'm walking ....what a difference the Wii  (and especially the Wii Fit) has made to my life.  Keep going and don't give up.... you'll just get better and better at it .  Sometimes my Wii fit 'age' is   37 ......and I am 54 years old !   ;D
marg
Marg 

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 02:30:21 pm »
Got my Wii Fit. It is so much fun. I only tried it for the first time yesterday. It'll be great for those days that I don't go for my daily walks because the weather is bad. I'm looking forward to making it part of my routine.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.