Author Topic: Wii used to help with balance  (Read 15866 times)

marg

Wii used to help with balance
« on: September 10, 2008, 10:54:40 pm »
Hi all ,

I want to share something new I'm doing for balance.    My daughter ( age 21) talked me into looking at a Wii to help me with my balance.   I admit I thought it was just a  "game console" like a Nintendo or X-box until I went to a store and checked it out.  ...... I bought one at Fred Meyers -  (after they said I had a 30 day money back time frame) ..so.......I took it home and tried it out.  A basic sport disc was fun and helpful (tennis, bowling, boxing etc)..
     Then my husband bought me a disc  called Wii Fit  .  It is GREAT.  It has balance exercises, yoga, arobics, and strength exercises too.  Many of these activities are in the form of games... and the Wii board (lookis like a step for step arobics) measures wether you are balanced correctly or not.  I can't say enough for this program.  I asked my PT what he thought of it and he thought it was a great idea.   I admit it is spendy - to start $249 for the Wii and then $89 for the Wii Fit program - but I can do it at home , it isn't dependent on the weather or time of day ( I don't do well at dusk or dark for walks).

What I want to know is .... has anyone else tried the Wii??  I highly recommend it!
marg

Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Wii used to help with balance
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:12:35 am »
Marg,

My husband and I have been using the Wii Fit for about six weeks or more now.  I have noticed improvement in my balance!  I still fall over when I bowl and play tennis, but it is much better than it used to be!!  The retirement homes in our area have them for their residents and the folks all love it!  Some of the nursing homes are adding them too!  And to think we bought one for our grand daughters for Christams and after "playing" for a week with them, we decided we had to have our own!
Much success with your new "toy"
Brenda

Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 09:52:16 am »
Marg~
We got the intial game set-up for Christmas last year for the girlies - well, SANTA did.  We got Wii Fit in August for my daughter's birthday.  We all play it and have a great time just watching each other.  We love the ski jump - my hubby likes to crash.  My 5 year old likes to bowl backwards - I guess we are a weird family - but it is funny!! ;D

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 11:33:31 am »
I love the Wii.  I used my balance issues as an excuse to buy it, actually.   ;)

I haven't gotten the "fit" yet, because they've been sold out of that around here lately, but the rest of the stuff sure is fun!  Turns out I'm just as bad at tennis on the game as I am in real life!  But at least no one else gets hurt this way!   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

marg

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 11:03:08 pm »
Glad to know that others are enjoying the Wii.   I can tell that it is making a difference.  I love games anyway.... and to have a fun way to imporve my balance is wonderful.  Wii fit is hard to get--they sell out quick .  My husband got me mine at Fred Meyers.  Find out their delivery day for the Wii fit and get there right away in the morning to pick one up.

Have fun everyone....  Wii   wii   wii  ....all the way home !   :D

marg
Marg 
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:14:31 pm »
We bought a Wii and Wii Fit for the kids to play when I left for my surgery. When we got home they had already set up Miis for us. We all went through the fitness test and I was the only one with a fitness age under my chronological age, by 15 years! That's when I could rest assured that my balance was unaffected by surgery, even though my hearing was diminished.

Our oldest daughter, who is 20 and watched her younger sister and brother in our absence, was with me when I bought it. We made arrangements for a family friend to come over and set it up to surprise them. Big sis told them that she had used the debit card we left with her to buy it. They thought she was going to be in so much trouble!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Pembo

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:27:01 am »
I have Wii Fit and I love it. However the balance exercises are difficult for me, 4 years post op. My kids love it when I do Yoga bc they get to be my stability. I can't do any of those one legged poses without support.
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

lori67

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 11:28:38 am »
Pembo -

I may need to borrow your kids.  I started going to yoga at the Y last week.  My first attempt since my surgery.  I had trouble with some of the two-legged poses!    Fortunately, I made it through 3 classes so far with no casualties.  I think maybe I should be wearing a bike helmet and elbow pads, just in case!   :o

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

marg

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 12:23:02 am »
I still love my Wii and have been using it every day.  My balance is improving and I feel more confident and not quite so timid.   I am sure they will come up with a Wii fit #2 one of these days because this first one is so popular.
marg
Marg 

Pembo

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 11:14:12 am »
marg, I read that Jillian from The Biggest Loser was making a new Wii Fit game due out next year. :)
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

MKLady

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 05:32:31 pm »
I'm so glad I found this post!  Just last week my doctor (general practitioner, not surgeon) suggested I try this Wii Fit game. 
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 09:36:16 pm »
I volunteer at The Children's Hospital in Denver on the oncology unit.  They have a Wii in the play room, and the kids love it.  It brings smiles to their cute little bald headed faces.  If I have any balance problems, I think I'll get one, too.  I must admit that I practice Wii baseball when it is a slow day in the play room.  Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 05:47:54 pm »
I saw it on the news last week, Wii helping kids in balance, so theres a thought if it can help kids Im sure it can help the kid in all of us
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

marg

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 10:48:15 pm »
I think the more people who hear about the Wii (to help with balance etc) the better.  I do have some of the other sports games ..but it is the Wii Fit programs that helps me the most.  I laugh my head off when I get off balance and my little person on the screen does too  :D .  Pembo, I will be sure to keep my eyes open for the new Wii Fit game.
marg
Marg 

Sefra22

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 09:01:19 am »
I bought the Wii fit the day it came out and I love it! When I first did the balance test, it told me my brain age was 76! After a couple of weeks, it was 65, then 60, now it's 46. I love the fact that I can play the running games while I use my treadmill which is in the same room facing the TV.  I just put the remote in my pocket and hop on. I find it easier than running in place.
Lisa
Lisa from Portland, Maine age 46
Diagnosed June 2006
15mm X 17mm AN right side 80% hearing loss
GK March 14,2007 Dr. Noren, Providence RI
1 Year follow-up MRI shows "slight shrinkage".
2 Year follow-up MRI shows "No Change".
3 Year follow-up MRI "stable".
BAHA surgery 4-22-09 BP100 Sept. 2009