Author Topic: Wii used to help with balance  (Read 15831 times)

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
Re: Wii used to help with balance
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 10:46:46 am »
Syl, have you tried the jogging?  I am not a runner, but it was kind of fun.  The hula hoop cracks me up - I giggle the whole time I'm doing it - and, boy, does it give your hips and abs a workout!  We have a gym set up in our basement with elliptical, weights, pilates, etc - but I can find a million reasons not to go down there.  On the other had, the Wii is just so much fun that I actually look forward to using it every day.  Willie and I play a few games of tennis or bowling every night, too - he totally kicks my a**, but I keep reminding him that he's got two perfectly good balance nerves so he should be kicking my butt!

My name is Debbi, and I am a Wii Addict...
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:39 am »
I have tried the jogging game. I'm not a runner either, and I also thought it was fun. I've also tried the basic step dance--also alot of fun. The soccer practice is alot of fun, too. The skii jump took some practice, but I finally got the hang of it. Even the yoga one is lots of fun. The one I haven't got the hang of is the tight rope walk. And, i havent' tried the hoola hoop yet.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2009, 12:35:28 pm »
The tight rope is hard, but fun once you get the hang of it.  I've made it across a couple of times!  The bubble in the stream is really a challenge - I haven't gotten past the island yet - has anyone else?  Oh, and how about the tree pose in the Yoga?!  I couldn't do that before I had surgery!  anything that involves standing on one leg is very challenging to me still.

Debbi, still an addict...
2.4 cm Right Side AN

cindyj

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2009, 12:50:42 pm »
Yep, the hula-hoop is hilarious...at least when I do it.  But, so is the soccer game - I get hit with those shoes every time - so funny!  Cheri, I have done the "dance" one also - I liked it - a good work out and wasn't too challenging balance wise.  Debbi, the bubble one drives me nuts - think I "pop" at the same point you do - very frustrating (in the fun way).  My son can get all the way through and in very quick time.  I seem to do the downhill skiing the most - I keep trying to better my score and it drives me crazy also!  How about the one where you sit and watch the candle burning - anyone done that?  I actually mastered that one!  I can sit and stare for sure! 

Great fun/therapy!

Ciindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

marg

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2009, 07:59:28 pm »
I didn't make it watching the candle burn  but I have almost made it to the end on the stream bubble..... what fun. I have made it across the tight rope a couple of times...and I love the rolling balls through the hole in the balance section.

Is the "dance one" on the step arobic part or something else?
    I am a Wii addict  too .... ( I can't believe there is a  healthy thing to be "addicted to"   :D ). 
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

cindyj

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 09:00:12 am »
Hey, Cheri!  I think the candle burning one is under Yoga, but I'm not positive (will check on it) and you may have to earn it.  I also keep getting hit w/ those shoes in the soccer game!  I'm laughing so hard about it that I can't recover to get out of the way of the next one that's being thrown!  Don't know how you're doing that tight rope one...and now you have wind trying to blow you off the rope...whew!  Do try the bubble iin the river - it's maddening!

Yes, Margi, the dance step is in the Aerobic section - give it a try!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 01:16:45 pm »
The candle burning is under the Balance games - it is the last one you can earn, I think.  I thought it was okay, but tend to like the more physical ones. 

I laugh so hard when I do the soccer - I keep getting hit by either the boot or the panda!  I just can't seem to shift quickly enough to avoid them.  It's hilarious.  Oh, and the step exercise in Aerobics is hilarious, too.  I got Willie to do it and we were both screaming with laughter.  And, when is the last time you hula-hooped???  Yep, this is worth every penny in laughs alone.

Oh, I almost got around the island today!  I was SO close ... and then I crashed!  Grrrr.  It's my mission to make it through to the end of that one!

Debbi, addicted and not ashamed!
2.4 cm Right Side AN

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 11:53:32 pm »
Definitely addicting...I haven't made it as far as you ladies yet though. The step aerobics thing kills me...not sure why..I'm a pretty good dancer but I just can't seem to get it.

I saw a new Wii fit game is out. Snowboard game "Shaun White Snowboarding Road Trip" Looks like fun.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 05:14:18 pm »
My Wii age started out at 82 (I am 58).  That was 165 days ago.  This morning I did the test and I am 35!!!!!!  Too bad my balance isn't that good all of the time!!!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

cindyj

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2009, 09:52:12 am »
Hey, you know how the kids play their X-box and Playstation games on-line with other kids from all over the place?  My son plays with kids over in Japan and Germany even!  Wouldn't it be great if we could do our Wii games/excercises on-line together!  We could cheer each other on as we're doing the downhill skiing, help each other dodge those darn shoes on the soccer game, "lean" with each other as we're trying to navigate in that flimsy bubble to avoid hitting the island and jog together along the countryside!

Know it would help me to have you guys with me!

Have a great weekend,

Cindy
feeling great!

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 03:17:46 pm »
If you have wireless internet in your house, you can connect your Wii and I think you can do the games online with others - some of the Wii Fit stuff, too.  Haven't tried it yet, but ours is hooked up, and I did see a screen somewhere to find other people.  I'd be game (haha) to try it with someone!

BTW, I finally got past the island (the bubble balance game) without crashing - however, I didn't quite make it to the finish as I crashed into something else.  Grr.  And, right now, the ski boarding has me totally intimidated.  I also suckl at the soccer - although I'm quite brilliant at the downhill skiing.   :D

Debbi, seriously addicted
2.4 cm Right Side AN

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 08:18:41 pm »
I have mine hooked up to wireless too. I'm game.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cindyj

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 10:47:16 am »
I had no idea it might be possible - I'll check with my son to see if I have the capability and just don't know - I've just learned how to turn the thing on and get it to show up on the tv - very technically challenged am I!  The balance issues may one day go away, but I'm not so sure about the technical problems :o

Cindy
feeling great!

marg

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 10:31:21 pm »
ok.... we seriously have to set up a game time together.  What fun that would be.  Somebody get their  teenager to check this  internet access thing out for us and write directions here for how to get on line to play together ( My daughter ..who set up my Wii for me .... is away at college or I would ask her to do it).  For many of us our kids are much quicker at the "game box" things than we are. 
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2009, 02:20:01 pm »
I spent a couple of minutes looking for the directions this weekend, but didn't find what I was looking for. I know there is a way to do  this, though!  You're right, Marg - we need someone's teenager to figure this out for us!  I'm in as soon as I, or someone, can figure out how to get us all connected. 

Yesterday I shoveled snow (not the virtual kind - who would ever buy a game like that?!) so skipped my wii workout and went for a warm bath instead...

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN