Author Topic: new here...so frustrated i want to scream!!!  (Read 12147 times)

scarriegirl

Re: new here...so frustrated i want to scream!!!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 10:09:48 am »
thanks for all your kind words!!  so...my tumor is 2 centimeters at the longest point which i think is pretty big, but the radiologist kept telling me how tiny it is!!!  anyhow, it is pressing into my brainstem and also into the facial nerve and causing me all kinds of problems which is why i just want it out.  radiology just doesnt seem a good option to me as it wont shrink it...and i dont want this thing still in there pressing on nerves and my brain!!!  the worst now is the crushing fatique i'm feeling.  i read in another thread about the brain working extra hard to compensate for lost balance and hearing that it makes you tired faster.  that makes sense!  i am really hopeful for the outcome of all of this....i just want to get on with it!  and today i was reminded how lucky i and all of us here are.  my close friend sent me a message that she had been in the hospital all night....she is a stroke survivor....and they found an anyeurism (sp?) so she will have surgery very soon.  i am humbled by her situation.  i could be so much worse!!  i am glad to find you all.  i never even heard of AN untill i lost hearing and googled facial numbness and hearing loss!! i thought i was prepared for the diagnosis...but i guess you're never really prepared for news like that.  life will go on...i will keep living....whats the choice really?  i have been laughing at this the best i can and making jokes...my brother wants to know if they can find the "on" button when they're in there! ;D  i look forward to having a place to deal with all this with others who get it.  thanks for welcoming me!
-carrie
"when you reach the end of the rainbow there's always another color!"
finally diagnosed 8/08
retro surgery scheduled nov. 17 at boston medical
there is a tennis ball in my ear!! at least it feels like it.

lori67

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 11:22:10 am »
Hi Carrie and welcome - sorry,I'm a little slow sometimes, but better late than never!

Feel free to rant all you want.  We've all been there!

While 2 cm isn't a huge tumor, I don't think it's tiny either, so don't feel like you're making a big deal of nothing.  It's something!

I have a feeling these tests you have scheduled will come up faster than you think.  These things have a way of doing that - but try to keep yourself occupied with something else if you can in the mean time.  I think I would be more worried if the doctors were scrambling to get you into surgery right away.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's upcoming surgery.  It seems like we all know someone who has it worse off, so it makes us keep things in perspective.  Who knows, maybe you'll have matching haircuts!   :D

And if they happen to find the "on" button, could you let me know where mine might be?  I just asked my surgeon to clear out the cobwebs while he was in there, but I think he missed a few!

Good luck!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

LADavid

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:18 am »
Hi Carrie
I'm jumping on a little late in the conversation so I don't have much to add to what has been said -- but welcome.  You've discovered a great group of people who will be with you through your journey.  I know how frustrating things have been for you and how long it may seem till your surgery but things will fly by quickly.  I was diagnosed with an AN a year ago this week -- I didn't have my surgery till December.  It seemed like it would be a long time but there really was a lot to do in preparation -- like insurance and notifications and work issues.  Before I knew it I was standing in the hospital parking lot with my daughter on surgery day wondering how I was going to get through a month without blowing my nose.  Hang in there.  We will be there for you -- and you have a great group in Boston and nearby to help you out.  In the meantime, if you haven't already, make sure to put your date on the calendar -- the link is on my signature line.

And Lori, I think they added cobwebs to my head during surgery.

Best wishes
David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Kaybo

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 01:31:55 pm »
Carrie~
Welcome to our little group - hope we can be helpful to you in this crazy time.  Feel free to ask anything here...someone will answer (probably a lot of someones)!!  Please PM me if I can help you in any way.

David & Lori~
I don't know about cobwebs but my SIL thinks they wiggled my optic nerve!!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

aciccare

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 05:01:39 pm »
Hi Carrie, I am Anthony from Philadelphia (area). I had my surgery in April and I can only tell you my experience. I am getting better but I struggle daily with severe tinnutis, headaches, dizzyness, balance, stamina, frustration , yet I am convinced that this was the right decision. It is not easy and now that I am deaf on the left side, life iand being healthy is much more a priority.

One really frustrating thing is that the residual symptoms are invisible to the naked eye. Members of my family and friends say "you look great," but I feel not so great. Its the most challenging thing I've ever been through. But determination and resilience are the key, and some luck.

Feel free to let me know how you are doin.

(Hi Anthony and welcome. Please know I had to edit out your personal email address as public posting of personal contact info is not allowed publically in posts.  Best to share the info in PM/Private Mail's here.... this is noted in the site Netiquettes and for your protection from Phishers, Spammers, etc. Thanks for understanding.  Again, welcome! Phyl)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 06:34:25 pm by ppearl214 »

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 07:43:43 pm »
I'm from Philadelphia as well, (originally), and yes, it is strange having people tell you that you look great when strange things are happening (in your face).  I usually tell them I fell fine, just recovering.  I do that to remind them that I am still recovering.  Seems to work.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

sgerrard

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 09:38:21 pm »
Hi Carrie, welcome to the forum, I hope you are finding it useful, or at least comforting.  :)

On the subject of vestibular testing, I have to confess that I actually enjoyed my vestibular testing. I found the technician to be very gentle and understanding and reassuring. The tests were odd, but none of them were uncomfortable for me. I spend quite a bit of time with video goggles on that record your eye movements in different positions.

In my case it was a useful result to have. Knowing the state of your balance nerve helps the doctors predict what might happen after treatment, and gives clues about where your AN originated and where it is now. I think it is a good idea for the doctors to gather as much information as they can - and the same goes for patients. If they ever want to test me again, I would be happy to go back.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Nancy Drew

• Colorado Tree Hugger!!!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 11:05:18 am »
Carrie,

Steve had a good experience with his test--that logical brain of his!  Some people enjoy thier MRIs also.  I did OK with the test for the most part.  I got dizzy when they put the water in my ears the first time, and then on the second test they did air in my ears instead of water.  That made me dizzy also.  I also had trouble, but not really related to the test results, when the tester asked me to count by 7s, 9s, etc.  I'm not good at math.  Also had to name as many states as I could that start with M, N, etc.  Did you have to do the same Steve?  I think the tester said it was for distraction or something like that.  My tests came back within normal limits, but it was nice to have the info any way.  I think I read here that someone had the balance test, and it came back normal because she engages in lots of exercise and had probably learned to compensate, something like that.  I think you said, Steve, that you had some balance issues you were not aware of?  Or, maybe it was someone else.  It is helpfull to get all of the tests you can get--especially if insurance pays for it.  I am thinking my test might be useful should I have any problems after my treatment (for comparison).  I'm not fully informed on this kind of testing so take Steve's word instead of mine.  Best wishes.

Nancy
12/05 AN diagnosed left ear 4.5mm
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08
1 year MRI  6.8mm x 5.5mm
2 year MRI  5.9mm x 4.9mm
3 year MRI  6.5mm x 6.0mm 
Slight Hearing Loss Post GK

Swedish Gamma Knife Center
Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

sgerrard

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:54 pm »
Hi Nancy (and Carrie),

Yes, I'm one of those who think the free Emerson, Lake, and Palmer concert you get inside the MRI machine is cool.  8)

I did have to name off states and foods, and it is to distract you, so they can measure your eyes natural reactions. I got stuck on a food starting with H, and felt silly for not thinking of hot dog.  :-[

They picked up a little nystagmus (eye beating) when I was lying down on my right side. The report said it was too mild to be of any concern. They were also able to tell that the AN was probably on the "inferior branch," or lower branch, of the balance nerve. That is good, since it does less stuff than the superior branch. That is probably why I am a bit wobbly when turning quickly.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

wendysig

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2008, 10:06:21 pm »
Carrie,
Having read your most recent post I can understand why you would want to scream.  This is a great place to vent -- we've all been at the point where you just need to and understand that need in others.  I know all the steps and waiting leading up to surgery are frustrating but the time will pass more quickly if you try to keep busy.  I kept myself very busy in the weeks  prior to my surgery and found I barely had enough time to get everything I needed to done the week before it.  Just keep reminding yourself that you will get through this and know that we willl be here to help and support you in whatever way we can.

Sending you a hug and best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

scarriegirl

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 12:41:48 pm »
water in my ears!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  they feel blocked up enough already!!!  on top of my hearing loss my sinuses are going crazy in this great new england end of summer pollen surge!  its so nice to hear others complain about things i feel!  it is SO hard to look fine on the outside and feel so totally sick on the inside. i also hate the fact that people treat me differently when they find out.  or act like its the end of the world.  i need to stay positive...and i find myself comforting everyone else!  they dont understand this is the way out of pain for me...not a horrible sentence.  when it comes down to it...it is just a medical procedure, not the end of the world.  unfortunately it sounds really scary.  my problem is trying not to let the depression take over.  i am in such a state of limbo and i HATE it.  keeping busy is good...but lots of times i just feel too sick to do anything...like right now my head is killing me and unfortunately my husband is vacuuming!!! great that he is...but it is hurting my head!  and at the same time as all of this my bipolar brother is coming unglued and is about to have another psychotic episode so i am having to comfort my mother through that as well as comfort her about me.  why am i doing the caretaking???  i need to be taken care of!!!!!  i guess i found the right place on this board.  anyone else had to deal with this stuff?? 

carrie
"when you reach the end of the rainbow there's always another color!"
finally diagnosed 8/08
retro surgery scheduled nov. 17 at boston medical
there is a tennis ball in my ear!! at least it feels like it.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2008, 02:08:57 pm »
Wish I could give you a hug Carrie.  Seek them out if you can, and if you are a "hugger".   I have gotten to the point where I don't talk much about my AN to friends who just don't "get it".  Most of these people just try to downplay it in my case, and that is the worst thing ever.  For instance, when I complain about my tinnitus bothering me, someone will say, "I have it too."   Or, when my ear got really plugged up yesterday, one of my friends said, "Oh, that happens to me all of the time."   The thing is is that a lot of people have tinnitus and have their ears get clogged up, but they don't have a brain tumor.  Plus, most people don't know what these ANs are, and they have no clue how to react.  Some of my friends and my husband have been interested enough to read about ANs, and they are the most sensitive and caring supporters of all.  This AN board is helpful also.  However, I hate to say it, some have it worse than others.  But, a lot of people here have very positive stories, and I try to focus on those more.   

I am a caretaker also.  I have bipolar disorder, and it has been under control for a long time.  Just thinking back on those days when I was having lots of trouble with my bipolar, I can see how I drained the folks around me.  My husband thought he could "fix" me, and maybe that is what you are trying to do with your mom and brother.  If you have other siblings or friends who can help out with your mom and brother, then you might have to ask them for help.  It is hard to ask for help when you are a caretaker, but in this case, you need to take care of yourself first.  Easy for me to say because I am not in your shoes.  As for your husband vacuuming . . . GREAT!  But, I bet you would rather have dirty floors sometimes rather than listening to that noise.  I have had to tell my husband to quit practicing his trombone sometimes, and he usually complies.  But, when he is practicing for a concert, then I know he needs to practice so I will go for a walk or go over to a friend's house.

I didn't mean to scare you with the water in your ears.  I think most doctors offices are using the newer equipment with the air in the ear.  I have always had bad motion sickness, and the audiologist said that is probably what caused my dizziness.  She said it wasn't related to my AN.  You will do fine.  The first balance test I had in 2005 was my ENTs idea.  I asked for the second test.  So, it wasn't so bad that I wanted to avoid it, if that makes you feel better.

I volunteer on the oncology unit at The Children's Hospital, and when I see the kids with the malignant brain tumors, I feel guilty when I think about mine--since it is benign.  But, you know what, this AN is an important part of my life right now.  So don't downplay it.  I think because there are so many bad things going on in our world, we don't give ourselves permission to feel scared and worried about our own stuff.  My son is off to Iraq in Nov., and it definitely has taken the importance off of my AN, but at the same time I have a right to be worried about my AN . . . but in a different way (and that doesn't make me an insensitive person).  If you feel like you need to PM me, please feel free.  I rant and rave for the most part on this board, but I can listen.  I PM a lot of people here on a regular basis, and it has been extremely helpful.  Take care.  Thinking of you.

Nancy 

06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

Nancy Drew

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2008, 02:17:17 pm »
Steve,

On a side note.  When I was asked for a food that starts with a "F", I couldn't come up with anything.  Since I'm from the South, you would think that this would have been an easy one for me:  Fried Chicken, Fried Catfish, Fried Shrimp, Fried Okra, Fried Tomatoes . . . . . . ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D 

Nancy
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs

lori67

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2008, 02:54:17 pm »
I had to give boy's names for each letter of the alphabet for one ear, and then girl's names for the other ear.  I knew it was just for a distraction, but geez, she really pressed the issue when I couldn't think of a boy name that started with "Q".  Really, I think we could have just skipped over it instead of worrying about it too much.  I was beginning to think she was just trying to think of a name for when she has kids of her own.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Nancy Drew

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2008, 05:22:06 pm »
Ha Ha Ha . . .Lori,

That's funny.  I had to do the boy name and girl name, too.  I said Quinn for the girl name, but I couldn't think of a "Q" name for the boy.  But, I think Quinn can go both ways.  I am sure she has heard a lot of different names, and I am sure she is making a list---or writing one of those BABYS NAMES books!!!

Nancy ;D
06/08 6mm
Gamma Knife 10/21/08

Englewood, CO
Dr. Robert Feehs