Author Topic: back at work and other updates...  (Read 2051 times)

calimama

back at work and other updates...
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:59:05 pm »
I should make this fast... just wanted to say that i returned to work on schedule, exactly 3 months after my surgery. I probably could have done it after 2 months, but figured the extra four weeks off would do more good than harm and i was still trying to sort out my "new normal" with facial/vision issues. Thankfully i have no fatigue, headaches, dizziness, pain. If not for my face/vision issues i feel about 95% or better.

I am approaching the end of week 3 at work and so far so good, even with a longer commute, and lots of reading and computer work. I get a lot of looks, mostly i think because of the eye patch, which kind of bugs me (i ride the subway about 40min to work... which is nasty because it's noisy and crowded, but i pass the time with magazines). The people that i work with have all been great and i am slowly feeling a little better about being one of the walking wounded in this world. I did get a great new patch too.

So i saw opthamologist #1 (i have been seeing two different ones) and the original doctor who diagnosed me (and who participated in the surgery) the first week of September. Apparently my double vision has not settled enough yet (hopefully a good sign that it will correct on its own). I could get the temporary prisms, but they said i would probably have to change they every few weeks and that since my cornea was doing so great with the patch, i should try to stick it out. Which i am. I will go back in early December (which will be 6 mo post surgery) unless there are major developments before. I do sense some small improvement in the DV, but it's sutle and fleeting so i am still being patient.

Not much going on with my face unfortunately. I think the numbness has finally, largely, passed. No real movement to speak off although i do see/feel some movement at the back of my cheek near my ear. Again, more patience.

I am still not driving so I had to put Cali in a daycare closer to home rather than the one acrosss the street from work. I think she is finally settling and the note that they send home each day said this yesterday..."we love Cali!" I feel like they should be paying me to have her all day. I miss her. She is 18 months old this week and pure magic.

My hubbie has been so great through all this and i am so grateful for that. I am so busy now that i hardly have any time to feel bad for myself, so all in all i am doing great. I did even get out for a few short solo runs about a month ago, which was awesome, but i haven't found (made!) time since.

I remain a work-in-progress.

Trish
Left 2.9cm CP Angle AN discovered Jan 2008. Retrosig surgery June 2, 2008 Toronto, Canada. Facial paralysis and numbness, double vision (4th nerve), SSD. DV totally recovered in 4th month; palsy started to recover slowly around month 7. Had twin boys 13 months after surgery. Doing great.

LADavid

Re: back at work and other updates...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:18:53 pm »
Great news, Trish.  It sounds like you are making the best of things.  I can identify with the subway experience.  I take the subway/train several time a week to visit my daughter and friends in Long Beach.  I bury my head in crossword puzzles -- and turn down my hearing aid.

That note about Cali was so cute.  You must be a proud mom.

Thanks for the update.

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:08:58 pm »
Wonderful update Trish. I love your closing statement... a work in progress.
You go girl!!!!
Your daughter sounds so sweet. My daughter's are so special.
Have a great day!
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:47 pm »
Trish:

Thanks so much for the update.  It seems as if you're adapting and coping quite nicely.  Calli sounds as if she is also adapting well to her new daycare environment, which is great.  Having a supportive spouse as well as understanding co-workers is also a plus.  Try to make the time for running, which is obviously beneficial for you.  I haven't ridden the (New York City)  subway in years but when I did, I used to read or just 'zone out'.  I once zoned out so well I missed my stop.  :)

I'm hoping and praying for continuing improvement in your eye and face.  Stay busy and positive! 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

yardtick

• I have to keep smiling, or else I WILL cry.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 03:34:30 pm »
Trish,

It's so wonderful having such positive updates.  I'm so glad everything is working out for you.  Yes thankfully you do not suffer from "fatigue, headaches, dizziness, pain."  I really hope your eye issue clears up quickly for you. 

Sounds like your daughter is adjusting well to her new daycare centre.  It's amazing how quickly kids adapt.  Calli is at a wonderful age.  Everything is a new discovery and adventure.  Its amazing how one look from her can melt your heart. 

Enjoy your family and continue healing,
Anne Marie
Sept 8/06 Translab
Post surgical headaches, hemifacial spasms and a scar neuroma. 
Our we having fun YET!!! 
Watch & Wait for more fun & games

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:22:37 pm »
Hey Trish,
I'm glad you were able to return to work and I'm hoping that as the months pass you will recover your facial function and resolve your double vision. You are about 4 weeks ahead of me so I was happy to read that your numbness has largely passed.  Mine remains a nuisance and while I think it's getting better it's in such small increments that it's hard to say.  Also read that you've been out running.  Me too, and I agree that it is an awesome feeling.  I remember well what a great age your daughter is--they are just so precious.  Enjoy her.
Best,
Marci

ps (Loved your comment about the walking wounded.  I think it applies to just about everyone, although some wear their wounds on the inside.  Besides, I'm betting you look pretty cute with the eye patch.)   ;)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

wendysig

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 07:14:05 pm »
Hi Trish,
It sounds like you are doing really well and you have a great attitude.   I'm sure it's  good to get back to some kind of "normal."  Cali is so cute and I can understand how much you must miss her.  My daughters are 12 and 14 and sometimes it seems like they were babies just yesterday.  Treasure this time because it passes all too quickly.

Best wishes,
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 08:16:50 pm »
Hi Trish,

Thanks for the update. I can well imagine that the eye patch gets old pretty fast. The next 3 months will go by quicker, at least, now that you are busy again. I hope that DV fixes itself up one of these days; I am glad to hear that the doctors are optimistic about that happening.

All the best,

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.