Author Topic: Anyone ever forget certain words after surgery or am I just going nuts?  (Read 11226 times)

Dog Lover

• My little Sammie Roo.
I've noticed for the past few days that when i am talking to someone, I will forget a word. Like today when i was talking to my cousins who came over, I forgot the word "forclosure" I waited for about 10 seconds and then I remembered it. A few days ago i forgot the word nail polish. Just little things like that.

One of my daughters said that she watched the Discovery Channel and said that one show she watched says that this is common after a brain surgery. One of my cousins who is a nurse also told me just to relax and things will get better.

Still freaks me out though. Has anyone else delt with stuff like this? I think today may have been the worst day, but I have also been extremely tired today and pretty much napped all afternoon and a bit this morning, too.

Please, has anyone else delt with this? Should I call the dr. or is this just common during recovery (it's been 10 days .... Aug 21, 2008 .... since my surgery).

Cathy
Cathy
9mm x 3mm Left Side AN
Mid Fossa Aug. 21, 2008
Dr. Gantz / Dr. Woodson
Univ. of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
No facial issues, hearing saved, I keep active and feel back to normal.

JulieE

Re: Anyone ever forget certain words after surgery or am I just going nuts?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:44 pm »
Hi Cathy,
I have followed your progress thru these channels and am happy you are past the surgery hump and on to recovery!  You are not going nuts, as I have searched on and found threads on trouble speaking and it is common among us brain surgery folk.  I personally found it frustrating to go from being a story teller to having a speech impediment/ trouble finding word.  I am 5 months out and it is improving daily, although I will never be a champion debater as in high school!  Tiredness makes the process harder, and I'm sure I didn't find the right words (being tired and all) but someone else on this list will!  Anyway you are not alone, but it gets better.
Jules

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 11:54:54 pm »
It is a common thing. In fact, there is a word for it, but I can't remember what it is.  ??? ;D

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:00 am »
Loss of word at crucial moment, yep, check!  I've got it too, and it is a little scary, but I'm hoping it will pass. Hard enough to be middle-aged....
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:10:08 am »
Well, there is a chance you are also going nuts (like the rest of us!), but I have the same problem with forgetting words.  It's enough to make you nuts if you weren't already!

I've noticed it is much worse when I'm tired.  It's gotten better, but it still gets very frustrating at times.  Especially when you're trying to yell at your kids and you can't remember what to yell - or better yet, when the wrong word pops out of your mouth and they look at you like you're crazy.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Mickey

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 10:25:20 am »
Havn`t had any treatment yet and forget words now and then. Maybe the ageing process? Who knows! Mickey

NL

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:50:43 pm »
Hi Cathy,

For being ten days out from brain surgery - that sounds about right! And as everyone says, it will get better.

Within my first week or so home, that happened to me quite a bit. I remember talking to the neighbors a few doors down who I've known for over a year. We spoke for about twenty minutes, and I was having a hard time keeping up with the conversation - only because the entire time I was trying to recall the wife's name! It finally came to me after I walked away.

I'm happy to report that now (at 4 weeks out) I could even tell you their kid's and dog's names.

As I said to someone else, it's like your brain rearranging the furniture now that the AN is finally out.

Hope everything else with your recovery is going well,

Nancy
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:40:33 pm »
Cathy -

as others have said, forgetting certain words can be quite common.  I'm 15 months post op and I still do it on occasion.  I also still think one word, but say another  ::)  Either it's a side-effect of my surgery - or just old age  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:43:33 pm »
Jan, in your case....it's probably old age!   :D

Sorry...that was just to easy.  I crack myself up!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 05:46:05 pm »
I wasn't good with names before surgery so this should be fun!
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 07:06:51 pm »
You crack me up, too, Lori  :D

Jan - getting older all the time  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Tumbleweed

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 01:08:02 am »
Cathy, I had CK, not surgery, but I had the same problem for a couple weeks after treatment. I couldn't remember words and I also typed words with reversed order of letters (like a dyslexic person). A friend of mine who is a cancer survivor (not brain cancer, but  cancer of the anus) said it's a common temporary problem after getting chemotherapy, too; she said cancer patients call it chemo-brain. Don't worry about it; it should get better over time. Based on how articulate your post was and the lack of typos, you seem to be doing amazingly well considering how recent your surgery was.

Anyway, best washes. Waffles? Wascals... um, wishes. Yeah, that's it, best wishes... for continuum heeding... continued heckling... um, healing, yeah, that's ripe, uh, right, continued healing. Best wishes for continued healing.

Whew,
Tumbleweed
L. AN 18x12x9 mm @ diagnosis, 11/07
21x13x11 mm @ CK treatment 7/11/08 (Drs. Chang & Gibbs, Stanford)
21x15x13 mm in 12/08 (5 months post-CK), widespread necrosis, swelling
12x9x6 mm, Nov. 2017; shrank ~78% since treatment!
W&W on stable 6mm hypoglossal tumor found 12/08

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 06:46:28 am »
I too remember this problem.  Please know it does get better, just slow down and let it slide if you happen to stumble on words. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Kaybo

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 11:05:46 am »
Unforunately I still get words mixed-up or "lost" - usually when I am very tired (or can't pronounce words right).  There are some words that I automatically reverse, but I think that is more a stroke symptom than AN.  It drives me crazy because I feel like an uneducated person - I ALWAYS mix up RIGHT and LEFT (you have to watch the way I am pointing if I am giving directions!) and the one that bothers me most is YESTERDAY and TOMORROW!  It will get better, though.

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

NL

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 11:29:28 am »
Cathy - I was beginning to think I was past the word-switching phase, but yesterday I told someone I shop at Bird Bath & Beyond.  :D

(K - I've been doing the "yesterday/tomorrow" switch for years - and I thought it was just me!)

NL
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan